Mobility limitation

mimilog57

Our son and daughter in law will soon be celebrating their tenth wedding anniversary and we are thinking about giving them a cruise as a gift. They have a busy life with 3 children and a relaxing week would we wonderful. We are concerned because our daughter-in-law has mobility issues from having polio as a baby. Her right leg is mostly paralyzed so she has to wear a brace to get around that keeps her leg completely straight for walking but she can unlock to sit down. As a result she walks with a very pronounced limp and cannot walk as fast or as far as most of us. Stairs are also a problem for her. Do you think someone with this kind of limitation would still be able to enjoy cruising? Are there some particular cruise lines that are better than others in this regard?

One more thing - please don't even suggest a wheelchair. She is a very stubborn girl and I know she would not "give in" - even in the last weeks of her pregnancies, she used a crutch for extra balance but she kept right on walking.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Your daughter-in-law knows her limitations better than anyone. Though it's an extremely generous and thoughtful of you to consider gifting a cruise, it would probably be best to discuss this directly with her and your son before booking. If their interested than make them part of the selection process.

I cruise with both a walker and a mobility scooter due to having MS. Personally for me, cruising is the best way for me to travel.

There are elevators on the ships to avoid the steps. RCCL is the only cruise line that has a chair lift for one pool and one whirlpool on each ship fleet wide. So if swimming is an interest than that's something to consider. Best to avoid an itinerary that includes tendering as there as there are generally steps involved to board the tender. There are also chair throughout the ship in case she needs to sit and rest.

Is she able to walk up/down inclines ? Reason being the walkway on embarkation day and debarkation day is generally a lengthy walk involving a gradual incline/decline respectively. Though stated not to even mention a wheelchair, it may be a good idea to request wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and debarkation day which the port/cruise line offers free specifically those 2 days. Definitely no shame in using wheelchair assistance on those days as there will be many others also using it. As my medical professionals have told me it's not that one has given in to use wheelchair assistance on occasion, rather it's a form of energy management so you can enjoy your final destination better.

Also on port days the gangway incline/decline fluctuates depending on the tide. So at times the gangway can be tricky to maneuver. There are hand rails and she can take it very slowly. That's what I do and I don't let others stress me out about going slow. The crew is very helpful to hold back other passengers so as not to be knocked over with people trying to get around you.

If you or your daughter-in-law have any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask.

when I started cruising I found getting around the ship wasn't to bad. I could always find places to sit. but I found (In most cases) the walk from the ship to were you meet the excursions really an issues. most ports don't have places to sit and rest. I agree also about tenders. the last time I tried to tender I lost my balance and "fell" into the tender.

Thank you xxoocruiser for your detailed response. You are probably right this is not something we can handle as a "surprise" gift, even though it would be great fun to do it that way. Dana is an amazing girl, sweet as sugar pie and tough as nails, at the same time. I think growing up with a disability and a lot of other adversity in her life, made her that way and we love her like she is our own daughter. I know she can walk up/down inclines (the lift on her right shoe is made with a "rocker" sole to help her), but over a long distance I'm sure it would be hard for her. I completely agree she should use a wheelchair or scooter as an energy-saving tool from time to time and I've tried to convince her on other occasions, to no avail. Her response is always "it's OK, I can do this" and then she does whatever it is, without any additional help. To watch her manage her husband, three children and a house, etc., is simply awesome. She is 29, I am, well, much older, but I learn from HER every day.

I will let y'all know what happens after we talk to them about the idea.

Thank you xxoocruiser for your detailed response. You are probably right this is not something we can handle as a "surprise" gift, even though it would be great fun to do it that way. Dana is an amazing girl, sweet as sugar pie and tough as nails, at the same time. I think growing up with a disability and a lot of other adversity in her life, made her that way and we love her like she is our own daughter. I know she can walk up/down inclines (the lift on her right shoe is made with a "rocker" sole to help her), but over a long distance I'm sure it would be hard for her. I completely agree she should use a wheelchair or scooter as an energy-saving tool from time to time and I've tried to convince her on other occasions, to no avail. Her response is always "it's OK, I can do this" and then she does whatever it is, without any additional help. To watch her manage her husband, three children and a house, etc., is simply awesome. She is 29, I am, well, much older, but I learn from HER every day.

I will let y'all know what happens after we talk to them about the idea.

Dana sounds like a lovely woman ! Know exactly how she feels and how it's important that she manage on her own terms as I'm just as stubborn with the mobility limitations that living with MS presents daily. I just say MS doesn't stand for Multiple Sclerosis rather MS means "Moving Slow" ! I'm just like that little pink bunny in the battery commercial only I have the cheap batteries.

Think that Dana and your Son would really enjoy taking a cruise. The nicest part is that Dana really doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to do . Doesn't even have to get out of bed if she chooses. There's wonderful spas on board ships so a little pampering is always a good option. Meals prepared for you daily, not having to clean house, the biggest worry is deciding to sit out by the pool or join in an activity ....... how good is that !

Wish the couple all the best regardless if they go on a cruise or not.

This weekend we told our son and daughter-in-law about the anniversary "surprise" and they are sooooooo excited. We are going to work together to find the best cruise for them. Dana made me cry when she told me as a little girl how she loved watching Love Boat reruns on TV and it always made her feel a little less sad seeing all the "happy people" on that ship when she was going through her surgeries, therapy and other bad times. Now she will be one of them, no one deserves it more.

Now, for a practical question or two. Can anyone suggest cruise lines or even specific ships, that was particular good in dealing with mobility issues? Since she doesn't (or won't) use a wheelchair or scooter, is there any benefit to requesting an accessible cabin (like are they typically closer and more convenient to restaurants and other activities)?

Also, do you have to go through airport-type security to board the ship? If so, how difficult would it be for Dana since her brace is made of metal and attached to her shoe?

This weekend we told our son and daughter-in-law about the anniversary "surprise" and they are sooooooo excited. We are going to work together to find the best cruise for them. Dana made me cry when she told me as a little girl how she loved watching Love Boat reruns on TV and it always made her feel a little less sad seeing all the "happy people" on that ship when she was going through her surgeries, therapy and other bad times. Now she will be one of them, no one deserves it more.

Now, for a practical question or two. Can anyone suggest cruise lines or even specific ships, that was particular good in dealing with mobility issues? Since she doesn't (or won't) use a wheelchair or scooter, is there any benefit to requesting an accessible cabin (like are they typically closer and more convenient to restaurants and other activities)?

Also, do you have to go through airport-type security to board the ship? If so, how difficult would it be for Dana since her brace is made of metal and attached to her shoe?

I had polio as a child and will try to respond. I do not find accessible cabins to be closer or more convenient to other venues. What is very important to me is that there is no step up into the bathroom nor is there a step into the shower. Accessible cabins also have more grab bars which is very helpful to me as I have trouble standing up from the toilet without them. Another thought is you can request a shower chair if you reserve a regular cabin. There is a pull down seat in every accessible cabin we have been in which I have appreciated.

You will go through airport type security to board (and reboard at stops) the ship. I also have mental hip and knee implants as well as use a scooter so I always set off the alarms. Then I am wanded and sometimes patted down by a female security member. After the second or third day the patting usually stops as I am known and only wanded.

We use Princess cruises because we like the lay-out of the ships, the food and entertainment. We have been on other lines and find them more alike than different. I hope your son and daughter-in-law has a great cruise.

My suggestion:

In order for specific answers for her questions as a novice cruiser.

Find a travel agent that specializes in accessible travel. There are excellent ones out there. Not Internet only TAs. It won't cost a penny more than going it alone. But their expertise is invaluable!! Make sure and interview them!

Sherry

I also have braces and use a wheelchair. The winding for cruise ships is less extensive then airlines. I have limited mobility. I find Royal Carribean the most accessible especially if their is a tender. Royal can transfer me onto all of their tenders.

I would try to stay away from a cruise that has a lot of tender ports. it can

be difficult to get in and out of the tender. last time I tried it I fell into the

tender (even with assistance).

you might consider a cabin more mid ship than forward or aft.

I also agree an accessible cabin would be helpful- esp. with all the grab bars

in the bathroom. I would stay away from cabins with bathtubs. the bathtubs are higher than normal tubs and can be difficult to get in and out of.

security is pretty painless- they usually just do a quick pat down and always

by a female security person.

I usually cruise celebrity or rccl and they have always been helpful.

Have been on many cruise lines. Since becoming disabled I find RCCL to be the most accessible friendly.

• In theory the newer the ship the more accessible it is.
  • Accessible cabin would be a better choice as it has grab bars and folding seat in the shower. Shower can be tricky if the ship is in rocky water so given her situation an accessible if the better choice.
  • RCCL and Disney have lifts for one pool and one whirlpool on each ship in the fleet. Other cruise lines don't have them fleet wide.
  • If not booking an accessible cabin avoid booking a cabin with a TUB/Shower combination. Tubs on cruise ships have a much higher edge than those found in homes and can pose a problem for your DIL. If a standard cabin is chosen and your DIL would like a shower seat all cruise lines provide this free of charge. For example :
  • RCCL - regular inside and ocean view cabins have a shower only

• Holland America - only regular inside cabins and larger suites have stand alone showers .

• Would definitely look at the features of interest each ship has to offer to determine what interests your son and DIL.
  • Minimize choosing itineraries with tendering ports as previously suggested
  • All cruise lines today offer traditional set dinner time or open flexible dinner time ( each cruise line has it's own name for this for example RCCL calls it My time dining. ) Would suggest that your son and DIL would prefer the flexible dining option .
  • Suggest looking at itineraries that have seas days in between port days to give your DIL some down time in between if she would prefer that. Rather than having 3 or 4 consecutive port days.

Certain many questions may arise during the search process so please don't hesitate to come back to the boards for assistance.

Thanks to all for your detailed responses and suggestions. I hadn't even thought about the shower issues, but I'm sure she would not want to be trying to climb over a high tub wall. Dana has a seat she uses in the shower at home so she would definitely need one on the ship and it's good they are available in both regular and accessible cabins.

I know Dana would enjoy the pool. She would not need a lift as she is able to walk short distances without her brace, using her right had to support her weak leg - and she would have Kevin there to help her. I'm just not sure she will go to the pool, though. Dana is kind of self-conscious about her leg. Which leads me to another question about how to dress. Do most people wear shorts during the day? And are women expected to wear a dress or skirt to dinner? Both of those are pretty much "no go" with Dana. She would much rather wear slacks that mostly cover up her brace, she feels like everyone is staring at her in a dress or shorts. Kevin has told her time and time again that she is an attractive young woman who happens to wear a leg brace, but I don't think she will ever see herself that way. Would a nice pant suit be inappropriate at dinner?

Thanks in advance to y'all for the help. I will definitely share all of this info with Dana and Kevin this weekend.

Thanks to all for your detailed responses and suggestions. I hadn't even thought about the shower issues, but I'm sure she would not want to be trying to climb over a high tub wall. Dana has a seat she uses in the shower at home so she would definitely need one on the ship and it's good they are available in both regular and accessible cabins.

I know Dana would enjoy the pool. She would not need a lift as she is able to walk short distances without her brace, using her right had to support her weak leg - and she would have Kevin there to help her. I'm just not sure she will go to the pool, though. Dana is kind of self-conscious about her leg. Which leads me to another question about how to dress. Do most people wear shorts during the day? And are women expected to wear a dress or skirt to dinner? Both of those are pretty much "no go" with Dana. She would much rather wear slacks that mostly cover up her brace, she feels like everyone is staring at her in a dress or shorts. Kevin has told her time and time again that she is an attractive young woman who happens to wear a leg brace, but I don't think she will ever see herself that way. Would a nice pant suit be inappropriate at dinner?

Thanks in advance to y'all for the help. I will definitely share all of this info with Dana and Kevin this weekend.

The main pools on cruise ships have a ladder entry/exit and not stairs. Therefore getting in and out of a pool is something to consider particularly since Dana chooses not to use a chair lift . RCCL has an adult only pool in the Solarium that on most of its ships has a stair entry/exit. Another good reason to consider RCCL.

Tell Dana nothing to worry about when it comes to choosing to wear slacks. It's a mixed bag of attire throughout the day and evening. For dinner she is most definitely not expected to wear a dress. I haven't worn shorts or a dress in years !!! She has to remember she'll never see these people again. So not to worry about what others may wear or may not wear as Dana should wear what she's comfortable wearing and enjoy the cruise !

Some thoughts for this thread

Accessible rooms are cool because they are lager and more outlets, if you pull the emergency cord you will talk to the most senior officer on duty.. how many folks can say they talked to the captain whist trying to turn on the bathroom light?

Most Royal Caribbean ships have a zero entry or step pool in the adult area

If your are neatly and sensibly dressed the dinning staff is thrilled to see you

Tell Dana there will be some one whose behavior will be more memorable, then any thing she has going on. Mostly i have succeeded in not being that person

My Mom, legally blind . mobility challenged and I cruise twice a year, its easy fun

Order some wine at dinner and share it with new table mate, dance, eat a new food, sleep late or wake up early, watch a sunset, listen to music or watch the ocean go by

And leave your problems at the dock, because we cruise people don't see accommodation as a problem...We can wait two more min for the elevator , tender, what ever

I contracted polio at age two and now have post polio syndrome. I have been confined to using a mobility scooter for almost four years now because the post polio has gone to such a point that I was falling down and breaking bones.

I still cruise, and find that it's a great way to travel. Yes, there are limitations, but not any more than in daily life. I definitely need an accessible cabin, as will your DIL because on many ships, the shower is far too small to accommodate a shower chair of any size. You also have to be sure that the shower is not one of those tub/shower combos, because a shower chair will not safely fit into one of those.

I've been on nearly every cruise line out there, so I can assess the accessibility of a lot of them. First of all, book a newer ship, one that's no more than 5 to 7 years old. Any older, and you'll find more inaccessibility issues than on a newer ship. For me, I find the S class of Celebrity ships to be the most accessible friendly. When I was on the newer ships of RCI, HAL and Carnival, they still had some pretty tough issues with their ships that made them less accessible, including door jams that are higher and can cause tripping or for wheelchairs, scooter or even walkers to get stuck, heavy doors to the outside decks that don't open automatically, and public bathrooms that are either difficult to access or have doors that are tough to open. On the S Class ships of Celebrity, at least 95% of the doors to the outside are auto doors and have smooth door jams that don't cause problems. Their public restroom doors are all push button to open and lock, which is very convenient. Their accessible cabins are all auto doors that open with just a swipe of the key card, which is great for anyone using any kind of mobility device.

I'm so happy for your DIL and DS. They will build many memories of a lifetime on their cruise.

If your DIL will not use a mobility device I would suggest considering a cruise on a smaller ship-Grandeur, Summit,etc. They are older ships it is true but I find the newer larger ships ( and I am not even talking about Oasis class) involve much more walking. Even with a midship cabin it is a longer walk to dining, theatre,etc than the smaller ships.

I had a very bad fall eight years ago. I injured my knee and most of the time I have difficulty bending it. I move a little more slowly than others. I use a rollator on the ship for stBility and on land to help me move fast enough to keep up with the other folks on my excursions.

I would like to dispell some of the info here. I will speak for the last 10 cruises I have done, with 5 in the last 5 years on Celebrity and RCCL. First, I have to say that the Allure of the Seas sailing in an accessible cabin, has been the best experience for me with impaired mobility. If you are not using a scooter, the elevators are well situated so even if it is a big ship, you never have too far to walk. also, at least three of the pools have entry steps with handrails. The accessible cabins are huge. You do not have to be using a scooter or rollator to get an accessable cabin. You can get one just for needing the grab bars and shower with a seat in the bathroom. I did have a scooter on the ship. This cabin was the best and most comfortable cabin I have had while cruising. Oasis of the Seas also has the same layout. They both do itineraries to the Caribbean from Ft Lauerdale and are reasonably priced.

We have sailed twice on Celebrity both Silhouette and Solstice to Europe. I did not have an accessable cabin or scooter on these ships. The cabins in Aqua Class were very comfortable and near the elevators. The showers were nice and compact but not small. You would not be able to put a shower seat in them but they are surrounded by inside grab bars. They have a solarium pool with handrails and a wide staircase to get in, and handrails all around when you are in. They are only about 4 to 4 and a half foot deep. The swimming pools on theMillenium, Summit, infinity, and the other two M Class ships that I have been on have heated large indoor pools with wide staircase entry.

Going to take a Baltic cruise on Celebrit Eclipse in 6 weeks. I will have a scooter and an accessible cabin. They say it is as large and well equipped as the Allure. I can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Knolmom: I have to disagree with you regarding putting a seat in the shower on the S class ships. Re sailed on the Reflection and for the first time I had to request a shower seat and I didn't have any problems with it.

mimilog57: From your description, I think your DIL will not have problems getting around the ship. I am not able to walk long distances but do not have to use anything on board because there are lots of places to sit and rest. We just get ready for dinner early and take our time heading to the dining room.

My biggest problem is that some of the piers are very long. By the time I walked to the end of the pier, I was too tired and in too much pain to go anywhere. I used a scooter for the first time in February on the Reflection and I am so glad that I did. I prefer the scooter to a wheelchair because DH does not have to push me and if I want to go in a different direction from him, I can do it. It still provides some independence. Perhaps your DIL would consider a scooter if the idea was presented to her in a positive way?

Thank again everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. Dana has eagerly jumped into doing the research into the various cruise lines and she says she got a good vibe when she spoke with Royal Caribbean, they seemed sincere about making sure she had a good time with minimal inconvenience. They recommended the accessible cabin "just in case" she might want to bring a rented scooter on the trip. I think it's progress she did not reject the idea out of hand. My opinion is she would be more comfortable, and safer, using a scooter around the ship. I don't know how much motion of the ship there is, but I would imagine there are times at sea when walking might be unsteady for most of us, even moreso for Dana with her paralyzed leg.

On another topic, do any of y'all have any recommendations for ports? I'm sure some of them are more interesting, and more convenient for someone with a disability.

Thank again everyone for all the wonderful suggestions. Dana has eagerly jumped into doing the research into the various cruise lines and she says she got a good vibe when she spoke with Royal Caribbean, they seemed sincere about making sure she had a good time with minimal inconvenience. They recommended the accessible cabin "just in case" she might want to bring a rented scooter on the trip. I think it's progress she did not reject the idea out of hand. My opinion is she would be more comfortable, and safer, using a scooter around the ship. I don't know how much motion of the ship there is, but I would imagine there are times at sea when walking might be unsteady for most of us, even moreso for Dana with her paralyzed leg.

On another topic, do any of y'all have any recommendations for ports? I'm sure some of them are more interesting, and more convenient for someone with a disability.

Where/when/for how long would they like to sail? There are so many options. What would they be interested in -history, nature, etc.? Some folks - like my husband - rarely get off the ship and enjoy the amenities without the crowds. What is their dream trip?

We just cruised with friends last week and he has mobility issues due to several back surgeries. He uses a cane and it is obvious he has a difficult time walking. We were on Carnival Freedom and from the start of our cruise, staff were always willing to offer assistance to him. They brought him to the front for elevator embarkation at the terminal, staff often carried his tray from the buffet to his table and at disembarktion, they carried him(and us as we were all together) to the front of the Customs line. It would have been a problem for him to stand in the customs line, so this was huge for him. His wife arranged for transport at the airport in Atlanta as changing terminals was too difficult for him to attempt. This service was also offered at no charge to them.

This was his first cruise and we stayed on Lido Deck. Next time I think he will stay mid-aft maybe a few decks below Lido to make both Lido and dining room easily accessible from the rear elevator.

Mimi, I also had polio as a baby and walk with a leg brace on my right leg and I use forearm crutches. I started using a scooter years ago and it has made my life so so so much easier! I also resisted it for too long. My husband and I love cruising and I have tons of advice that would be really specific to her needs. Would she be interested in getting in touch? If so, my email is katesjunk@aol.com and I would love to answer any questions she may have.

Kate

I posted pictures of an accessible cabin on a Royal Caribbean ship, including the bathroom. Recently returned from a Celebrity cruise and the cabin features are pretty much the same. However this time I did request a shower chair because the fold down seat didn't provide enough support for me. My balance isn't what it once was.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1548309

Mimi, I also had polio as a baby and walk with a leg brace on my right leg and I use forearm crutches. I started using a scooter years ago and it has made my life so so so much easier! I also resisted it for too long. My husband and I love cruising and I have tons of advice that would be really specific to her needs. Would she be interested in getting in touch? If so, my email is katesjunk@aol.com and I would love to answer any questions she may have.

Kate

Kate, its so very nice of you to be willing to answer Dana's questions, especially since you have similar physical issues to deal with. I mentioned it to her and I hope she will contact you. Dana is unusual for a girl her age (29), she is not a big user of email or any of the social media, she is a bright young lady but very self conscious about her writing ability (long story). I hope she will go ahead and write you anyway.

• 4 months later...

I thought I should follow up after all this great advice was given. Our son and daughter-in-law did take their cruise, it was on the Carnival Fantasy sailing out of Charleston. It turned out to be both a belated anniversary #10 and Dana's 30th birthday to celebrate. They had a wonderful time! Dana said she had no real issues getting around the ship and both staff and fellow cruisers were always there to help. There were many others on board with various disabilities, she even met someone just a few years older who wears a leg brace very similar. Seeing this woman walking around the deck in shorts gave Dana the little push she needed to put on her swim suit and go to the pool. I am so proud of Dana! A few weeks after their cruise, Kevin and Dana told us they are now expecting their 4th child. They said if it's a boy his name will be Carnival and if it's a girl they will name her Fantasy..........I pray they were joking!