Poutine

I think it originated in Quebec, but I've had great poutine in Vancouver, and also here in in NYC at Pommes Frites, 123 2nd Ave (between 7th St & St Marks Pl) in the East Village. I'd never heard of it (or Tim Horton's) until I went to Canada, but now I'm a fan of both.

Poutine is GREAT!

Choices abound even major chains have this now.

( What does one expect with something so varied , loved, and eaten in large volume ) Look what the McRib is made from as an example..

Such varieties are only rivaled by a great imagination. Find one you like or find many the only ones i do not appreciate are with organ meats.

This food preparation was started centuries ago in what was Flanders in Europe as was the Frite.:cool:

Poutine is GREAT!

Choices abound even major chains have this now.

( What does one expect with something so varied , loved, and eaten in large volume ) Look what the McRib is made from as an example..

Such varieties are only rivaled by a great imagination. Find one you like or find many the only ones i do not appreciate are with organ meats.

This food preparation was started centuries ago in what was Flanders in Europe as was the Frite.:cool:

Poutine originated in Flanders?? First I've heard of that. I've been in Belgium many times and have never seen anything like poutine--frites with mayonnaise or another sauce, certainly. But poutine, as it is known in Canada, originated in Québec and has spread throughout the country. Best bought from a chip wagon and eaten on the street, although there's a fancy restaurant in Montreal (Toqué) that does it with foie-gras.

Anyone recommend an excellent place for poutine in either Halifax or St. John's? Or is that strictly a Quebec thing?

If you mean St. John's, Newfoundland, I can't help you.

If you mean Saint John, New Brunswick, I can!

Winger's on Princess Street has regular poutines (I've never had their poutines, but I have eaten there), Big Tide on Princess Street has a sweet potato fries poutine (again, haven't had it but I just ate there last Sunday).

Pepper's Pub on the Market Square Boardwalk has a spicy jerk chicken poutine, which I have had before and it was good, but definitely isn't a "typical" poutine.

Rocky's Sport's Bar in the Shoppes of City Hall has 3 different kinds of poutine (Lobster, Italian, and Regular). I'm unsure if children are allowed in there - I was never allowed in but it may just be because the waitresses wear skimpy clothes. I have only eaten there a few times, and haven't had the poutine.

If my memory serves me, you can get poutine at Lord's in the Market, but I'm unable to verify online today so I'm sorry if I'm wrong!

Relish on Germain Street has poutine, which I have had and it was good.

As for fast food, Deluxe in the Brunswick Square food court has poutine, but I haven't had it before because I dislike fish so I never eat at Deluxe. McDonald's might have poutine also - I can't remember (it's also in the food court).

Of course, my favourite poutines are from Burger King, but I doubt anyone wants to go eat in a fast food restaurant that you'd have to cab to.

I hope that's helpful for anyone coming to Saint John!

Full disclosure: I worked at Burger King when I was a teenager. I don't work there any more, and I never worked at/know anyone who owns any of the other restaurants.

Having had poutine at several places in Quebec, I have to say I don't get it. Different, yes. Good, not really.

Just like I don't get why people like lobster. Everyone has different tastes, thankfully. If everyone liked corn on the cob as much as I do, we'd run out! ;)

You can find it in many places, the thing is... how original/good is it? The cheese curds need to be delivered daily, they can't be over 24 hours old. So that makes it hard to have it any place that isn't close to a dairy. And of course it always depends on the french fries and gravy. Some people like limp greasy fries, others like crisp fries. I prefer crisp fries, but not thin fries. And a good brown gravy. You have to ask the locals and listen to them argue it out.

You can find it in many places, the thing is... how original/good is it? The cheese curds need to be delivered daily, they can't be over 24 hours old. So that makes it hard to have it any place that isn't close to a dairy. And of course it always depends on the french fries and gravy. Some people like limp greasy fries, others like crisp fries. I prefer crisp fries, but not thin fries. And a good brown gravy. You have to ask the locals and listen to them argue it out.

Well, Saint John is only an hour from Sussex, where there is at least one dairy farm. Whether or not the restaurants get fresh curds every day, I have no idea.

The cheese curds need to be delivered daily, they can't be over 24 hours old. So that makes it hard to have it any place that isn't close to a dairy. And of course it always depends on the french fries and gravy. Some people like limp greasy fries, others like crisp fries. I prefer crisp fries, but not thin fries. And a good brown gravy.

I want to go poutine shopping with you...you're making me hungry just reading this. Where do you recommend in Montreal?

I want to go poutine shopping with you...you're making me hungry just reading this. Where do you recommend in Montreal?

There are a few that are quite well known. Probably the largest is La Banquise (The Ice Floe) which serves about 24 different variations. There is Patati Patata on the corner of St. Lawrence (St-Laurent) and Rachel. There is Ma'amm Bolduc, Green Spot, New System BBQ, La Belle Province (depends on the specific location, some are good others are awful), Lafleur as well. Oh, Canard Libere (the freed duck) has a few variation which include one with fois gras in the sauce (unlike PdC's where the fois gras is on top, see below).

On the high end, there is Chuck Hughes's Garde Manger, but you need to reserve about 30 days if you REALLY want to be sure to go. Au Pied du Cochon has a nice poutine with Fois Gras.

I would stick to La Banquise, Patati Patata and Ma'amm Bolduc if you are just looking for an all around good poutine. They all have enough traffic to keep their cheese fresh.

Personally...Love Poutine!!

However...hate them made with curds..we use shredded cheese....the gravy/sauce makes all the difference in the world....As does the fries....

If it's made with cheese, it's not poutine. The reason for the curds is that they don't disintegrate under the gravy.

Anyone recommend an excellent place for poutine in either Halifax or St. John's? Or is that strictly a Quebec thing?

http://www.smokespoutinerie.com On Blowers St. specialize in Poutine

Here's an article from the Coast (alternative paper in Halifax). Alexandra's is at 1263 Queen St. about 10 minute walk from Pier.

"Best Poutine (Original)

Alexandra's

by Carsten Knox

Lots of folks think of Alexandra’s when they think pizza, but for the second year running they’ve taken the poutine award. We suspect that ---not unlike Bubba Ray’s recent dominance on the chicken wing front---Alexandra’s impresses with both quality and variety. Depending on your taste, request Greek poutine, Italian poutine, steak poutine, donair poutine, chicken poutine, hamburger poutine and regular poutine, all with the requisite fries, gravy and cheese curds.

First Runner-up: Willy’s

Second Runner-up: Steamys

Previously in Best of Halifax

Related Locations

• 6 months later...
Dear Ephraim,

We are staying in Old Montreal at Le Saint-Sulpice. Which of your recommended places for poutine is closest to this hotel?

NOPE. Old Montreal is expensive real estate, so either you have fine dining restaurants or you have junk food, but not the good stuff. You will have to make it to the Plateau if you want good Poutine. There is a new chain, never tried it, called Montreal Poutine at 161 Rue Saint Paul Est, but I will NOT vouch for it, since I haven't tried it. The most famous in Montreal is La Banquise on Rachel at Park Lafontaine. There is also Pattati Pattata, which is nice but I would give kudos to La Banquise over them.... but their food is excellent and watching them work in that little kitchen is awe inspiring.

Archived