What to do in for Sicily for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

Sicily is a pretty large island (with several cruise line ports) so it might help if you mentioned where on Sicily :). But there are many travelers on land trips who elect to spend many days (or even weeks) on Sicily because it is an interesting part of Italy with more then its share of natural beauty and interesting places.

Hank

We spent a Giardini-Naxos port day two weeks ago trekking on Mt. Etna with this company:

http://www.etnalcantara.com/

We rode in a Land Rover 4x4 off the roads of the mountain and did a 1.5 hour trek to some beautiful vistas. Our excellent guide was a naturalist who explained features of the mountain and the numerous lava flows that had occurred throughout history.

Great fun with this excellent company!

We have never been to Sicily, Italy before and I was wondering what is their to do there?

What do you do when you go there??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :)

I used to live in Sicily and I can tell you it's a very big Island. So, if your ship pulls into Palermo, I would basically stay on that side of the island and do things around there. If your ship pulls into Messina, try and make a trek down to Taormina as it is well worth it! The view from the Greco Roman theater is simply stunning, especially on a clear day as you can see Mt. Etna in the background. I would say, next to Santorini and parts of Hawaii, it's probably the most scenic of places I have ever visited.

We are going there too in June. I'm not sure where we dock but a few years ago I hired a bus and got a group of eight together and we went to Taoromina...omg...absolutely stunning!M. I had the best meal there that I've ever eaten!! Although the restaurant on my naples tour through italytoursharing.com up to la taggliano is awesome as well.

I WILL try to find old emails and post if I can find who we used.

I used to live in Sicily and I can tell you it's a very big Island. So, if your ship pulls into Palermo, I would basically stay on that side of the island and do things around there. If your ship pulls into Messina, try and make a trek down to Taormina as it is well worth it! The view from the Greco Roman theater is simply stunning, especially on a clear day as you can see Mt. Etna in the background. I would say, next to Santorini and parts of Hawaii, it's probably the most scenic of places I have ever visited.

Amen! As anyone expert in antiquities will tell you, if you want to see the best in Greek (and even Roman) ruins, go to Sicily. Calling it "Italian," however, is a great disservice since it really is the Jewel of the Med.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure when you will be there- is it still on a future cruise for you?

We were docked in Palermo last year, and decided to go to a couple of small towns- CastelBuono and Cefalu. We had an excellent day! (Lots of photos in the West Med review in my signature line). If you like smaller places, they were quite interesting. And of course, great food!

We are docking in Palermo this year so Taoromina is too far for me. I was able to hire Sicily taxi again, shuttle for eight of us, pretty darn reasonable. We are going to CEFALU and surroundings.

I posted on my roll call. This company is asking for a deposit but I used them before so I think it will be good!