I'm really stuck on this (Venice to Civitavecchia)

scher

The day before my cruise leaves from the port of Civitavecchia we will be coming from Venice. I was thinking we would take the train to Florence and would love to tour Florence for a few hours and then go on a tour of a vineyard with a outdoor lunch and view of Tuscany for the afternoon. If possible would love a quick stop for a picture in Pisa and then head to the port then next morning the day of the cruise. I do not want to stay over at the port and would prefer to not rent a car nor switch trains to many times....Does anyone have any suggestions. If it were not so expensive I would hire a driver to tour us in Florence and Tuscany and then take us to the Port the next morning but I think that would be a fortune. Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

Originally we were going to take the train from Venice to the Port all in one day and were advised this was not a good idea just in case something happened like a strike or something.

Edited by scher

Well, you have painted yourself into a bit of a corner with your preferences. But it would be pretty easy to train from Venice to Florence (about 90 minutes on the high speed train, no train changes). Have Rome in Limo pick you up at the train station, and commence your custom tour.

Then, on sail day, there are many train possibilities, all with only one train change (Roma Termini) going to Civi. There are no direct trains.

Edited by CruiserBruce

As above, use the train to get from Venice to Florence where you can have a car service pick you up and hold your things while you do some sightseeing in Florence, then drive you to Tuscany for a vineyard stop and on to Pisa. Spend the night in Pisa and take a Frecce train from there to Civitavecchia the next morning (there's a daily train at 9:11 that gets to Civitavecchia at 11:16) for your cruise.

Euro cruiser I was thinking the same thing. Just felt that if we were going to tour a vineyard in Tuscany it would probably be closer to stay near the vineyard and then go from there to the port. Not sure if that was possible

The day before my cruise leaves from the port of Civitavecchia we will be coming from Venice. I was thinking we would take the train to Florence and would love to tour Florence for a few hours and then go on a tour of a vineyard with a outdoor lunch and view of Tuscany for the afternoon. If possible would love a quick stop for a picture in Pisa and then head to the port then next morning the day of the cruise. I do not want to stay over at the port and would prefer to not rent a car nor switch trains to many times....Does anyone have any suggestions. If it were not so expensive I would hire a driver to tour us in Florence and Tuscany and then take us to the Port the next morning but I think that would be a fortune. Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

Originally we were going to take the train from Venice to the Port all in one day and were advised this was not a good idea just in case something happened like a strike or something.

In my opinion, you have too much of an expectation for what you can accomplish in the time allowed.

We took the train from Venice to Florence after our cruise and didn't arrive until early afternoon. Not sure which train you can catch in Venice, but I would advise purchasing your ticket in advance. We waited in line for an hour at Venice to purchase our tickets.

When you arrive in Florence, you will need to check in to your hotel before your tour Florence. I have been to Florence twice and to see the city right, you need about four days. You can see something of the city in an afternoon. If you go to Academia to see David you will need about 2.5 hours just for that. Checking out the Duomo and Point DeVeccho will kill the rest of the day.

Trying to see Pisa and the Sacred Compound is not easily done DIY since it is not close to the train station.

If you try to cram all this into the allowed time, consider paying for a tour company like Romeinlimo (previously mentioned). They can keep your luggage in the vehicle. However, that will cost you some $$$

In my opinion, you have too much of an expectation for what you can accomplish in the time allowed.

We took the train from Venice to Florence after our cruise and didn't arrive until early afternoon. Not sure which train you can catch in Venice, but I would advise purchasing your ticket in advance. We waited in line for an hour at Venice to purchase our tickets.

When you arrive in Florence, you will need to check in to your hotel before your tour Florence. I have been to Florence twice and to see the city right, you need about four days. You can see something of the city in an afternoon. If you go to Academia to see David you will need about 2.5 hours just for that. Checking out the Duomo and Point DeVeccho will kill the rest of the day.

Trying to see Pisa and the Sacred Compound is not easily done DIY since it is not close to the train station.

If you try to cram all this into the allowed time, consider paying for a tour company like Romeinlimo (previously mentioned). They can keep your luggage in the vehicle. However, that will cost you some $$$

We are not coming in from a cruise and docking in Venice and then trying to catch a train. We will have been in Venice for a few days and will try to catch a early morning 7am ish train to Florence.

I was hoping to get a quick 2 hour walking tour of Florence and then on to a Vineyard for the rest of the day in Tuscany, then maybe be dropped off at a hotel near the train station in Pisa so we could take a direct train to the port of Civitavecchia

We are not coming in from a cruise and docking in Venice and then trying to catch a train. We will have been in Venice for a few days and will try to catch a early morning 7am ish train to Florence.

I was hoping to get a quick 2 hour walking tour of Florence and then on to a Vineyard for the rest of the day in Tuscany, then maybe be dropped off at a hotel near the train station in Pisa so we could take a direct train to the port of Civitavecchia

In two hours in Florence you may be able to see the Duomo and a few other places in the city. I would focus more on Florence and skip Pisa. Of course, if you go back to Florence you can take your time and see what is really important.

I think you are trying to do too much . Forget the winery that chews up too much time and needs taxi or tour. You can d a winery at home .

You can easily then do it all by train .

Day 1 Venezia St Lucia - Firenze SMN . Take 0815 train to Firenze SMN arriving 1030 . Leave your luggage at the Left Luggage Office at Firenze SMN station. Firenze is a very compact and walkable city . Mid afternoon collect your luggage and take 1553 train from Firenze SMN to Pisa Rossore the nearest station to the Field of Miracles arriving 1710.

Stay overnight in Pisa at Hotel Bologna (Book on line direct via Hotel website) . Next morning do LT and Field of Miracles and LT . Then 1106 train from Pisa Centrale direct to Civitavecchia down the coast arriving Civitavecchia at 1321 . If you want to climb LT in Pisa be sure to pre book on line via LT website admission tickets (date and time specific) as you will not get in if you just show up on the day .

NB: Pisa Centrale is Central station in Pisa and nearest to the Hotel Bologna, Pisa Rossore is nearest station to Field of Miracles.

For main tourist attractions in Firenze maximize your sightseeing time by pre booking admissions via tickitaly website for Academia (David) and the Ufizzi Gallery . Be sure to pre book train tickets and reserved seats for this to work smoothly .

Thank you that sound like a great alternative plan. I think I have come to a plan that better suits my needs. I am going to take a early train to florence and then book a driver to pick us up and keep our luggage with us. Tour with him to a vineyard and then have him drive us to pisa...stop for a photo op at the leaning tower and stay over night in pisa then take a train to the port of civitavecchia in the morning. I am not comfortable leaving my luggage at the train station before a 10 night cruise in fear of losing it befor cruising .