Shopping: St Maartin vs St Thomas

RecoveryDude

Been years since I've been to either place, but from what I remember, St a Thomas was more of a shopping destination- however, the 8 day itineraries when I wanna go only go to St Maartin as opposed to St thomas. So.... Can anyone tell me how the shopping is in St Maartin compared to St Thomas? Will it be disappointing?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery dude

For us, St. Martin is our favorite shopping island. We think the prices are much better in St. Martin & a much bigger variety of items. St. Thomas, IMO, is US prices. We have used a jeweler in St. Martin for nearly 20 years and the appraisals back home are 3 to 4 times what we paid.

Just an aside, not knowing which cruises you are considering, we use to think Aruba was expensive, but for trinkets, embroidered T-shirts & small souvenirs, they are now fantastic. They went from one of the most expensive to one of the cheapest - again, IMO.

Happy cruising!!

For us, St. Martin is our favorite shopping island. We think the prices are much better in St. Martin & a much bigger variety of items. St. Thomas, IMO, is US prices. We have used a jeweler in St. Martin for nearly 20 years and the appraisals back home are 3 to 4 times what we paid.

Just an aside, not knowing which cruises you are considering, we use to think Aruba was expensive, but for trinkets, embroidered T-shirts & small souvenirs, they are now fantastic. They went from one of the most expensive to one of the cheapest - again, IMO.

Happy cruising!!

Hi Pbrady,

Would be interested if you could recommend your jewellers, we go there in about 5 weeks. Looking to buy hubby a new wedding ring for our anniversary, and any recommendations would be great.

Jean

I'm not Pbrady, but here's my recommendations, posted in an earlier discussion.

A couple corrections/additions to the information in that post:

Shiva's has closed their Trident shop and consolidated into the Flagship store, pictured -- no more $20 watches, but $500,000 is no longer their most expensive. We're up to 28 years with the Alwani family, and the same jeweler, Ajay, the entire time.

Ballerina still has some very fine pieces. Check out their Sauro line and say hello to Ravi.

Splash has really upped their game and is also carrying more expensive diamonds. Say hi to DJ and Bob.

gary

p.s. My information is slightly dated, as we haven't visited the shops since last month. :)

A few years back we got a great deal on an anniversary diamond band at Kay's Fine Jewelry in St. Marten. Back in the States it would have be at least double the cost. Also offered complimentary drinks while we shopped and a bathroom which is hard to find.

Jeff,

What you will be shopping for? We don't buy much in St. Thomas.

gary

Well .... We would be shopping for "duty free" things, looking for bargains on cologne, makeup and jewelry plus traditional souvenirs like T-Shirts and such - Thanks for everyone's opinions [emoji2] Please continue to comment.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not Pbrady, but here's my recommendations, posted in an earlier discussion.

A couple corrections/additions to the information in that post:

Shiva's has closed their Trident shop and consolidated into the Flagship store, pictured -- no more $20 watches, but $500,000 is no longer their most expensive. We're up to 28 years with the Alwani family, and the same jeweler, Ajay, the entire time.

Ballerina still has some very fine pieces. Check out their Sauro line and say hello to Ravi.

Splash has really upped their game and is also carrying more expensive

jdiamonds. Say hi to DJ and Bob.

gary

p.s. My information is slightly dated, as we haven't visited the shops since last month. :)

Many thanks Gary, there's a few suggestions there for us to be looking at. May even come across a little something for me as well ;).

Hoping to do Maho beach, but leaving plenty of time for a little shopping!!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Jean.

Well .... We would be shopping for "duty free" things, looking for bargains on cologne, makeup and jewelry plus traditional souvenirs like T-Shirts and such - Thanks for everyone's opinions [emoji2] Please continue to comment.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found good deals on cologne/perfume and cosmetics in Marigot at the West Indies Mall. The store is on the first floor, very similar to Sephora, huge selection of many brands. If you pay cash, they will give you an additional 20% off their already discounted prices.