cardcrafter

The rates are on Celebrity's site but a bit hard to find:

• $0.75 cents a minute with no package.
  • In and Out Package - $24.95 for 38 minutes
  • In Touch Package - $49.95 for 90 minutes
  • Informed Package - $99.95 for 208 minutes
  • Interact Package - $199.95 for 555 minutes
  • Involved Package - $399.95 for 1666 minutes

While I've heard some comments that they might be upgrading the service and technology on board, our experience is that it is painfully slow at peak times and every now and then you cannot connect at all.

Edited by Lsimon

The prices were the same as of yesterday when we got off the Eclipse. We were doing the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland cruise. Due to the Itinerary there were some blackout spots and internet wasn't amazing. On the Baltics last year the reception was better.

While I've heard some comments that they might be upgrading the service and technology on board, our experience is that it is painfully slow at peak times and every now and then you cannot connect at all.

The $99.95 package is now 240 minutes.

On Equinox in June, they did not offer the 38 minute package. The least expensive package was close to $60, but I don't remember the exact price or number of minutes. They had recently updated the Internet cafe to become an iLounge, and set up new software with the new packages and prices (compared to February on the same ship). I expect that was a test, and it would not surprise me to see the new system roll out fleet wide shortly.

The Internet was slow, and often would not connect at all. We got much better service in all the ports with my T-Mobile phone. It provided me Internet everywhere we went except Croatia without additional charge. It might be worth checking that option out.

Edited by Algebralovr

The $99.95 package is now 240 minutes.

On Equinox in June, they did not offer the 38 minute package. The least expensive package was close to $60,...

I just pulled this off the current web site page. It is on the USA site under "Already Booked" page, then the "During your cruise" tab, then the tab (or sub-tab) for "staying in touch". Guess I'm not totally surprised that Celebrity's Web site is out of date or out of touch with what is actually offered on board.

The pricing identified in the responses seems pricey when one is paying $5k up for a stateroom, or I am off base?

To me, its like buying a car and having the salesman ask "would you like windshield wipers with that, they are additional?"

I think you should keep in mind that Internet at sea is a connection via satellite and is quite expensive for the cruise lines, too. Have experienced no cruise line so far who was able to compete with land based Internet rates and connection speed.

Can anyone tell me the price of internet access on Eclipse

Just off Eclipse after a great Baltic cruise. However the internet speed and reliability is pathetic. It took 45 minutes -no exaggerations- to load the airline website and print the passes. Ironically the HoHo buses in CPH and Helsinki and London had free hi speed internet. DH had to stay on for 2 complete rides in those ports so he could download and respond to all his e-mails. Facetime also worked on the HoHo buses-but not on the ship.

AS for pricing of the internet on the ship you should get yourself ready to brace for VERY SLOW and PAINFUL opening of e-mails, webpages etc.

Carole

From what I understand everyone on the ship shares the bandwidth of the satellite internet connection. So your internet speed is not only limited by the satellite signal itself but also by number of people trying to share the signal at once. For this reason the speed will be best when few are using the system such as very late at night or very early in the morning. Speed is at its worst when many are trying to get online such as late afternoon or, worse yet, the day before disembarkation when everyone is trying to check in for their flights.

Edited by Lsimon