embarkation in San Juan**confused**

murphy4

I have never done a cruise with an 8pm departure. I understand that I can board early. after boarding does that allow time to get off and go to the El Yunque National Park? any help with how to plan my day would be appreciated. We are styaing at La concha for two nights before the cruise.

I would do the rain forest the full day you're there, instead of the day you board the ship.

I agree if you have a full day before you board you should do the rainforest day, day of cruise, you can check your luggage then go back into town, that would require three cabs, one to drop off luggage, one back into town, then one back to board ship. Barrachino's is a restaurant in old town who will keep your luggage while you enjoy the old town and the forts or your hotel may have a storeroom they will let you put your luggage in for a couple of hours, I would check with them.

Hello -

Are you flying in the day of the cruise or staying at a hotel? How are you planning tour the rain forest? - many tours may have room for luggage - cal them.

Most hotels will hold your luggage while you are at the park. Another option is to leave your luggage at Barrachina restaurant in Old San Juan - open at 9am. They will hold luggage while you tour the area - they expect tips. Per the website:

Special service offer to all cruise passengers having late flight out of San Juan.

-Free luggage storage service offer from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday.

-Taxi stand one building away from us.

-Free wireless service.

The cab ride to the ship from Barrachina is about $16 - dependent on # of bags.

Hello -

Are you flying in the day of the cruise or staying at a hotel? How are you planning tour the rain forest? - many tours may have room for luggage - cal them.

Most hotels will hold your luggage while you are at the park. Another option is to leave your luggage at Barrachina restaurant in Old San Juan - open at 9am. They will hold luggage while you tour the area - they expect tips. Per the website:

Special service offer to all cruise passengers having late flight out of San Juan.

-Free luggage storage service offer from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday.

-Taxi stand one building away from us.

-Free wireless service.

The cab ride to the ship from Barrachina is about $16 - dependent on # of bags.

Going from a hotel to Barrachina to drop luggage, then to rain forest, then back to Barrachina to get luggage, then to ship??? Not an agenda I'd choose:eek:

Going from a hotel to Barrachina to drop luggage, then to rain forest, then back to Barrachina to get luggage, then to ship??? Not an agenda I'd choose:eek:

My first recommendation was to find a tour that would take the luggage and drop them at the ship after the tour. Second - leave the luggage at the Hotel. I see now they are staying at LaConcha - they will hold luggage. I have stayed there. I have also dropped luggage at Barrachinna 3 times. This is great for sight seeing around town. La concha is not far from Old San Juan.

The rain forest is quite a ways from either location.

Do you have another option besides these three?

Royal has some excursions before and after cruises might be able to book something from there I'm sure they would hold the luggage not sure if they do the forest though. I know we are considering doing this after we cruise before our flight when we leave.

Edited by dividedsky

thanks for all the input! we arrive Friday, stay overnight 2 nights at LaConcha and the cruise leaves sunday. it sounds like we should just get up Saturday am and do the rainforest. OP that knows San Juan, do you have any idea who we should do the rainforest with? I assume we can catch a taxi from the hotel?

My first recommendation was to find a tour that would take the luggage and drop them at the ship after the tour. Second - leave the luggage at the Hotel. I see now they are staying at LaConcha - they will hold luggage. I have stayed there. I have also dropped luggage at Barrachinna 3 times. This is great for sight seeing around town. La concha is not far from Old San Juan.

The rain forest is quite a ways from either location.

Do you have another option besides these three?

Yes in my first post........don't go to the rain forest the day of embarkation. OP said in first post they are in SJU two nights......

thanks for all the input! we arrive Friday, stay overnight 2 nights at LaConcha and the cruise leaves sunday. it sounds like we should just get up Saturday am and do the rainforest. OP that knows San Juan, do you have any idea who we should do the rainforest with? I assume we can catch a taxi from the hotel?

It would be a long taxi ride (probably 25 miles) and not cheap. I'd suggest calling the consierge at LaConcha, they should be able to set you up with a tour that would pick you up there. We did this from the Caribe Hilton years ago.

Edited by bouhunter

I did think of that but I am not sure what I would do with all my luggage :confused:

You can drop your luggage off really early (as long as you have tags on them) and then go to the rain forest. We have dropped our luggage off as early as 9 am and then gone and done stuff

We were in PR in August. We arrived on five days before our cruise. We rented a car at the airport. On the day the ship departed, my husband dropped me, the kids and the luggage off at the pier, returned the car and took a taxi back. Be aware that many hotels charge for parking.

One other note on Charlie Cars -

You can rent at the office near the airport and then drop the car off at the location on Ashford in Condado - very close to La Concha.

This worked out well for us. No problem parking in Old San Juan, but the parking fees in Condado were a bit high.