I'll be on Queen Victoria next week, any advice or questions?

Host Hattie

We are going on QV next week for the first time in a few years. We did a 2 nighter in 2012 but it was 2010 since we were on board for any length of time.

We are in one of the metal fronted balconies on Deck 4, an upgrade from the obstructed view I originally booked.

So, any advice from more recent QV travellers ? Or anything you would like me to check out ?

Thanks

Hi Hattie, have a lovely trip, when you return any chance you can give your opinion of main points between both Qm2 and Victoria? We have only ever travelled on the QM2 because we love the ship but we are curious about the others now we cruise more.

Edited by robbie_3

Have a great time Hattie. A few times I have been put in the balconies on deck 4 forward and hated the rooms. The balconies themselves were fine but the location at the front of the ship is terrible for anyone who is noise-sensitive, as I am. When the ship manoevres into port each morning, you get about an hour of noise. It's fine if you are up early but no good if you need your sleep. About 3 rooms back you can also hear the theatre productions - but that's only a problem if you want to go to bed at that time. I was generally in the Queen's Room so had no problems.

If it's V525 you're on next week then I'll keep an eye out for you and say hello. Presumably, you look like your avatar so please keep a cocktail glass on hand at all times for recognition purposes.

I look an awful lot like my own avatar, so should be easy to spot. I forgot to join the roll call this time but might get around to it if I can get in front of the game before we leave.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Thanks both, were you happy with your metal fronted balcony edwardh1? I'm not a massive fan of the sheltered balconies on QM2 but these look OK.

no issues with the balcony though my thought is that the metal blocks the view somewhat, that is, you almost have to stand to see out fully (reason of course is to keep people from falling over the rail).Are any of the rails "open" in other cabins?

I stayed at an ocean front hotel once where the designer has concrete walls somewhat in the same design, when you sat down you lost some of the view.

And being picky, cunard on that 4th deck, on QV, seems to place the sink, shower and toilet in one room. One Disney cruise I went on (liked it, very clean but there were actually some kids on that ship!)) had one of those 3 in its own space, I think it was the sink, so easier to use by two people, if I remember correctly. A better design in my opinion. And the disney cabin was an inside cabin even, compared to cunard balcony cabin.

Have a great time Hattie. A few times I have been put in the balconies on deck 4 forward and hated the rooms. The balconies themselves were fine but the location at the front of the ship is terrible for anyone who is noise-sensitive, as I am. When the ship manoevres into port each morning, you get about an hour of noise. It's fine if you are up early but no good if you need your sleep. About 3 rooms back you can also hear the theatre productions - but that's only a problem if you want to go to bed at that time. I was generally in the Queen's Room so had no problems.

our room was in the lower 4030s like 4031 or so. We did not have any noise issues.

Had some friends in 4006 and they confirm Fantasy's comments. Noisy and balcony door 'whistled'.

We had a balcony door that wistled one cruise so I stuffed a towel in iit assuming that, thats what it just did! later on that day came back to cabin to find carpenter fixing it steward must have let maintenance know. So in future will always ask steward to get something fixxed.

We were allocated 4006 on QE recently and while the cabin was adequate, we hated the balcony. Yes it was very large, as deep as wide, but sitting down we couldn't see ANYTHING at all! Nothing! Zilch!

The other issue was in lumpy seas, there was a LOT of movement, and wave noise with vibration. Despite me usually being a pretty good sailor, for two days I was poleaxed with seasickness. I would never book a Saver fare again for fear of being allocated a similar cabin.

I would never book a Saver fare again for fear of being allocated a similar cabin.

I felt the same way after being allocated two such cabins in one year. (My problem was noise - not the same as your concerns.) Fortunately the ship was not completely full and Cunard obviously knew there was a problem with noise in the rooms and allocated me a sleeping cabin. I was very happy with 4006 for the rest of the day, just not the morning arrival time.

Talking with others, however, I discovered that there were people in these terrible cabins who had booked early and paid full price. It's not just saver fares that put you there. You might book an obstructed balcony and then find yourself 'upgraded' to one of these. Not an improvement, in my opinion.

When it came time for a cruise this August, I was glad that there were two levels of saver fares. I paid an extra £100pp and was able to avoid the category that might put me on level 4 forward.

Edited by fantasy51

We are going on QV next week for the first time in a few years. We did a 2 nighter in 2012 but it was 2010 since we were on board for any length of time.

We are in one of the metal fronted balconies on Deck 4, an upgrade from the obstructed view I originally booked.

So, any advice from more recent QV travellers ? Or anything you would like me to check out ?

Thanks

How much do you pay for drinks and extras on a cruise like this. Thinking of going across the ocean because we hate to fly.

If it's V525 you're on next week then I'll keep an eye out for you and say hello. Presumably, you look like your avatar so please keep a cocktail glass on hand at all times for recognition purposes.

I look an awful lot like my own avatar, so should be easy to spot. I forgot to join the roll call this time but might get around to it if I can get in front of the game before we leave.

We will see you both on board too. I will look out for the orangutan ;)

We are just back from QV the ship was as before absolutely beautiful the cabin was a dream 4090. Our butler couldn't have been better service on the ship faultless. Our issue was with the entertainment which we found pitiful and the QG dining experience which we didn't think was worth the huge price tag. Unfortunately we have already booked QG for next year and paid a large non refundable deposit so have written to Cunard voicing our concerns in the hope they may give us some onboard credit to soften the blow!

We will see you both on board too. I will look out for the orangutan ;)

That's the one, I can't make any promises about the cocktail glass, sometimes I drink wine ! Please say hello if you do see me.

Hi Hattie!

On QE I stayed in room 4040 & it was very quiet even though it was near to the lifts. It's a great location for heading back after a late show from the theatre & also for the qym. Yes, it is a bit of a walk to the buffet & the dining room, but we used to walk there through the public rooms rather than down the corridor which makes for a pleasant stroll. And you can help to walk off all the lovely dinners.....!