Ft Lauderdale

mrmrsmystery

We are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale April11/09 but we are flying in the day before.Does anyone know what hotels Carnival uses and what sites are there to see in the area.All info is much apprecited.Freedom here we come.:)

MrMrs, there are a ton of hotels along the beach there, and nothing is more than a 10 dollar taxi ride to the port/airport, so that you really don't need to rent a car.

I think the Carnival pre and post hotels are more expensive, I would try Hotwire or one of the big internet sites to find a hotel. We've stayed at a few different ones, Yankee Clipper and Bahia Mar resort. They were both adequate, but the Bahia Mar was a little far down the strip.

Hope you have a great time.

Carole

If not booking air thru Carnival, and using their hotels, I just stayed at the Embassy Suites 17th St. for 3 nites in Dec. (Christmas - so prices were probably high) Payed around $159 for a port-view suite, included a really nice buffet breakfast, and cocktail party/munchies at nite. They have a restaurant on site, and are 2 miles from beach. ($8 taxi ride) Their pool is outstanding, with waterfall/hottub, heated, and with plenty of towels. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance (outback, and a really good mexican a block away) It is right next to a nice strip mall - with a Carvel, and a pub-type restaurant, and an tiny italian rest. with big portions and good prices. It was a $10 cab ride (4 of us) to port, and is 10 minutes from the airport. We were pleased with the hotel, and would stay there again.

Thank you to all who responded.We are doing the air and hotel through Carnival but have not been told what hotels they use.This is our first time in Ft Lauderdale and with only one day to explore we would like to take advantage of the local area.:)

Go to Carnival.com, go through the process like you are booking a cruise. There is a section during the process that will list the hotels and prices. Hope this helps.

CKM:D

we are spending a couple of days in Ft. Lauderdale prior to sailing next month.. we are taking an airboat ride at Everglades National Park..thought it would be different. Also, we are staying at the Ocean Sky Resort in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea... it doesn't have great reviews, but it does sit on the beach and has a great pool / bar area, etc... We got it for $139.00/ night for the middle of Valentines. They do not offer shuttle service and I understand the cab from the airport will be about $20.00....

have fun !!

I would look for a hotel room soon.

Because of the Easter holiday, many hotel rooms in FLL are booking up fast!!

We have stayed at both the Sleep Inn in Dania, and the LaQuinta in Hollywood... and both provided shuttle service.

The rates are a bit high, too.....because of the demand!

we will also be sailing out on the Carnival Freedom on April 11. We booked a 1 bedroom suite at the Hampton Inn and Suites for $134.00 after taxes. The hotel has free shuttle that picks you up at the airport and takes you to the carnival port in the morning.

Try biddingfortravel.com find the fort lauderdale area the renaissance is usually available very reasonable It is listed in the DT (downtown) section but is actually on 17th St. very near the pier. Nice hotel. Do NOT fall for the bellman's pitch to take the van shuttle.....tooo $$$ Take a taxi.... less $$$ Enjoy

Thank you to all who responded.We are doing the air and hotel through Carnival but have not been told what hotels they use.This is our first time in Ft Lauderdale and with only one day to explore we would like to take advantage of the local area.:)

Our FlyAweigh program had us at the Fort Lauderdale Hilton Airport.

It was a nice hotel, with a great pool and pool deck area. It was a cab ride from any of the sights.

You might want to consider a trip to the Everglades (airboat ride), or to the beach.

Enjoy!!

MrMrs, there are a ton of hotels along the beach there, and nothing is more than a 10 dollar taxi ride to the port/airport, so that you really don't need to rent a car.

I think the Carnival pre and post hotels are more expensive, I would try Hotwire or one of the big internet sites to find a hotel. We've stayed at a few different ones, Yankee Clipper and Bahia Mar resort. They were both adequate, but the Bahia Mar was a little far down the strip.

Hope you have a great time.

Carole

Thats funny, I work inside the Bahia Mar marina and it is only 1 block north of the yankee clipper.

We are sailing out of Ft Lauderdale April11/09 but we are flying in the day before.Does anyone know what hotels Carnival uses and what sites are there to see in the area.All info is much apprecited.Freedom here we come.:)

As a local who was born here in Ft. Lauderdale, and who is also booked on the Freedom...but not until April 25, there are lots of things to do and see. If you are flying in the day before you board then really there would not be alot of time to really do much. I could suggest a fishing trip, it very cheap....only $30.00 per person for a 4 hour fishing trip. If you check out their website, there is a coupon on it for $5.00 off. I fish on this boat when I get in the mood to fish, and if you have little ones, there are wonderful with kids. A true family boat. Anyway, here is there website. http://www.flamingofishing.com (just copy and paste)

Hope this helps and if you want to know more, send me some mail.

• 3 months later...

I have basically the same question but with a different twist. We are driving to FLL and I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of hotels that have a park 'n' go package. We did that last year in Pt. Canaveral, and it worked out great. We stayed at Country Inns and Suites for a great price, even including parking for the entire cruise. Someone suggested the Holiday Inn Express but when I called they didn't offer a parking package.

I appreciate any help at all.:)

I have basically the same question but with a different twist. We are driving to FLL and I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of hotels that have a park 'n' go package. We did that last year in Pt. Canaveral, and it worked out great. We stayed at Country Inns and Suites for a great price, even including parking for the entire cruise. Someone suggested the Holiday Inn Express but when I called they didn't offer a parking package.

I appreciate any help at all.:)

I talked to La Quinta Inn in FLL (the one that is listed as LaQuinta Airport/Cruiseport) today. They offer a package to let you stay and Park. Has anyone stayed there and cen tell me about the place? I know LaQuinta is not 4 star by any means, but is it clean and in a safe area?:cool:

I talked to La Quinta Inn in FLL (the one that is listed as LaQuinta Airport/Cruiseport) today. They offer a package to let you stay and Park. Has anyone stayed there and cen tell me about the place? I know LaQuinta is not 4 star by any means, but is it clean and in a safe area?:cool:

It's been a few years but I really liked the place when I stayed there. The hotel is on a little lake and the pool and hot tub overlook it. Ask for a lake-view room! Rooms were large, some have fridges and microwaves. Place was clean, the breakfast is your typical cold spread plus a waffle maker. There is a large strip mall nearby with a Kmart, Home Depot, a barnes and noble and a number of less-expensive stores for last minute items (bit of a walk though, 10-20 minutes depending which end of the plaza you go to, I wouldn't buy too much!) There are also theaters and a number of chain restaurants in the parking lot of the mall (low to mid priced)

You have to book the shuttle as soon as you get there, seating is limited. Not that it matters to you but the airport shuttle is hourly. The location is a bit isolated so I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable walking to the strip mall late at night by myself. The neighborhood and the mall are a little second rate but certainly not bad, just more working class for lack of a better term. It's far from the ocean and peir though, not termendously just don't expect a view of the ships in the AM. I'd definitely stay there again if the price was right, but I wouldn't overpay (depending on the weekend it should be significantly less than the really nice hotels close to the peir)

Do you like Southpark??!!

Both times in Fort Lauderdale we stayed near to the port.

Once at the Renaissance http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllbr-renaissance-fort-lauderdale-hotel/

Once at the Hyatt http://www.pier66.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp?src=tig_brand_ftlhp_google

Both hotels were nice. Enjoyed the marina atmosphere around the Hyatt.

The beach was about all we did for fun.

We were leaving on the Ruby Princess on April 18, 2009. Biding on a three star hotel in the Ft. Lauderdale @ $ 49.00 per night I was finally successful a couple of night before. It was the Marriott Ft. Lauderdale North. We rented a car, stopped & had lunch and arrived just BEFORE a very large bus dropped off a load of people. I remember thinking..man am I glad we beat that group, thinking it would take hours to check them in.

As quick as it took for the porter to get our bags to the room, a quick potty break we were off to explore... to my amazement when upon arriving in the lobby..It was void of the masses...

After shopping for pre-cruise necessities (booze & cola ) and diner we returned to the Marriott for some quite time.... low-an-behold another bus load of people.

The next morning when we opened our door, I thought I was on the last night of a cruise... Lining the halls were bags sitting in the hallway... I inquired of the bellman and his reply was that they have 389 ( I think) people staying before their cruise.... There were cruise pax's from Princess, HAL, and Carnival.

The hotel was very nice, with very large rooms, and our had a small balcony. The staff very very friendly and helpful. The also had free inter-net in the lobby. The only down-side is there is NOTHING close as far as restaurants or shopping and the food was very high. If you are wanting to do any sight seeing you will have to rent a car, or hire a taxi.

My suggestion.... Carnival will be handling your luggage from the airport to hotel to ship have one person go with the luggage while one rents a car. ( we were able to rent an Alamo compact for $ 16.00 per day + taxes) After renting just return to where the bus is loading and follow it to the hotel. The beach is just a short drive away as well as the Everglades. You can drop one person off at the ship terminal with your carry ons and return the car to the airport (less than a mile away). Alamo has a free shuttle back to the cruise port just upstairs and outside the door..

mcfllccext01.jpg

100_1312small.jpg

100_1317Asmall.jpg

100_1319small.jpg

joebat1- Where did you find a car rental for that low price?

We are cruising on the Ruby in November and it was about $50. per day and that was renting a car for 6 hours. If we could get it for your rate, we would rent a car pre and post cruise!

It was with Priceline.. I checked for you and they are showing $ 25.00 for a compact... The "bid for price" suggest 70% which would be & 17.50.. A couple of weeks before you leave start at $ 15.00, then $ 15.50 etc. After they accept your "winning bid" you will be offered upgrades for a couple of dollars more on line... When you arrive at the airport terminal the clerk will also try to upgrade for less that the quoted price.

Rent the car for 24 hours (standard time) and if you return it early no big deal. An hour over charge is very expensive... After dropping the luggage and carry ons at the port terminal the free shuttle from the airport back to the ship terminal was no hassle.

With the real downturn in the travel industry the last minute prices are unbelievably low. In March, I bid and "won" a Marriott in Mobile for the Holiday cruise for $ 49.00 and of course the FFL Marriott for & 49.00 in April. Also a 3 star in Barcelona for $ 50.00 Euros.. Rake rate was $ 150.00 Euros.

Archived