St. Maarten dining and questions

Cruisegirl6

Hello we have a few questions

We are a family of 7 (three generation) going on the Allure and docking in St. Maarten. We would like to go to an authentic or very good lunch on this island, price is not an issue and we know the best places are those that are not large or fancy.

I have read about Sky's the Limit and Talk of the Town, don't know anything about these places only heard of them on the internet, does anybody know whether these places remain open and what they serve for lunch, in other words, we looking for more of authentic st. maarten cuisine and want to avoid all pizza, burgers, things in that nature.

Does anybody have any suggestions where we can get a nice lunch, again price is not the factor, distance isn't also a factor we just want a wonderful lunch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In Grand Case, we have eaten at both Sky's the Limit and Talk of the Town a few years ago, food was good. Both are what you call LOLO's, locally owned, locally operated. I heard Talk of the Walk has been closed.

Now we've been having lunch at a place in Marigot called Tropicana. We enjoy sitting at a table outside right on the water in Marina Royale. They have authentic French food, a pre fix for lunch and open at noon.

If you go to Marigot, there's also a great bakery called Sarafina's which is very close to the Tropicana that has the most delicious pastries.

As far as the Grand Case Lolos go, I always go to the one that is serving what I want that day. While their posted menus are extensive, they don't always have everything available. I gravitate towards the dishes I can't get back home--conch stew, goat stew, stuffed christophene, stuffed crab back, accras, johnny cake, plantains, and boudin, and avoid the less exotic items--chicken, ribs, corn, mac&cheese. I'm not sure how many of these dishes are gluten-intolerant friendly, though. BTW, it's the middle 2 Lolos that seem to have the widest selection available (at least in October).

Now, right across the street and down a "block" is a place called Villa Royal, which is a more upscale creole restaurant. You still have local dishes, but with a twist. Tempura battered conch, Mahi Mahi Tartare, and a few other treats that slip my mind. For a leisurely lunch, I would go here over the Lolos.

It's hard not to mention Yvette's as I think they do the best meal for the price on the island. We love the conch with dumplings and goat stew, and I think their fish cakes are the best on the island. All meals come with 3 or 4 sides (johnny cake, rice&peas, plantains, and a salad).

If you have 7 people, and want a more leisurely meal, I'd go to Villa Royal, primarily for the variety and quality.

If your appetites are geared towards classic French, you can't go wrong at Bistro Nu in Marigot. Last year, we went for the first time and the duck confit and beef Bourguignon were excellent. Their house wine is very good as well.

Hello we have a few questions

We are a family of 7 (three generation) going on the Allure and docking in St. Maarten. We would like to go to an authentic or very good lunch on this island, price is not an issue and we know the best places are those that are not large or fancy.

I have read about Sky's the Limit and Talk of the Town, don't know anything about these places only heard of them on the internet, does anybody know whether these places remain open and what they serve for lunch, in other words, we looking for more of authentic st. maarten cuisine and want to avoid all pizza, burgers, things in that nature.

Does anybody have any suggestions where we can get a nice lunch, again price is not the factor, distance isn't also a factor we just want a wonderful lunch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have lots of suggestions for great meals on St Martin but none of them serve authentic Caribbean. I did however finally made it to Gladys's Cafe in St. Thomas last summer and it was delishious. I loved everything about it from the old building to the great service and wonderful meal. Gladys is originally from Antigua and she sells hot sauces ect to take home.

I used to eat at the LOlO's in Grand Case once in a while but they lost there appeal to me. The other restaurants on restaurant row are just so much more appealing to me now a days.:)

Edited by Karysa

You guys are wonderful so helpful thank you!!

I got some great ideas here and thank you for those photo's/menu's truly appreciate it so very much

Now to decide they all sound great, I dismissed going to Lolo's and going to one of the places you mentioned now I wish I was staying on the island to try them all lol. I can't find the menu to Villa Royale

Since you gave me a good variety of suggestions can you please choose your first choice then your second and we make our decision based on that.

THANK YOU!!!! :p

• 8 months later...

For those who have been to a lolo recently, what do they generally charge for a lobster? We were in SXM 3 years ago, and my wife got shrimp and really regretted not getting lobster when the table next to us ordered them for everyone in their party. I'm more of a fish person myself. I see the prices in the menus (and thanks to whoever posted them, MOST useful) have prices of $25-35 and up.

Edited by MisterBill99