Currency ?

Eagle4413

Hi, We will be flying from Philadelphia to Sydney and taking a cab to the ship and this will be on a Sunday morning when we arrive. Is there any place in the airport to convert US dollars to Australian dollars for the cab fare ? The cruise is going to New Zealand for 11 days so I will not need many Australian dollars until our return. Also if anyone knows, how far is it to the cruise port from the airport and what would be the cost of the fare. Thanks much for your help.

Here's a link to maps of the Sydney Airport. If you click on "T1 International Terminal Arrival and Departure Map", you can find the ATMs. (The Arrivals Map is on page 2). Everywhere you see a dollar sign ($) is an ATM. There are at least 4 ATMs in the Arrivals Terminal and an ANZ Bank branch too.

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/find/airport-maps.aspx

There are money changers at the airport.

However, if you only wanted it for the taxi, I'd suggest you just use a credit card for the taxi, which you can. There is a 10% surcharge for credit card, but I daresay you'd be paying a similar amount in commissions at least at the airport, plus you'd then have cash left over as well.

Simpler, and you save the queuing time and finding an outlet, if that's the only charge just to pay with credit card.

Last time i took a cab to CBD it was like 30$ there are ATM in the terminal at the airport, we are doing your opposite NZ to Australia

$30 that must have been a long while ago, more like $50-$70 that's AUS$ so even at the current exchange $40 to $55 US$

To answer the original query .

The taxi fare to the city will cost you something like $ 50 Aus . The taxi driver will only accept Australian $ or Credit Card, but the credit card will attract a hefty surcharge.

Sydney is a major International Airport and you will find Money Changers and Banks offering currency exchange services in the Arrivals area at all times planes are arriving.

Australian ATM,s generally only dispense Australian $ . As such Australian ATM,s accept Australian issued debit and credit cards and Internationally issued Travel Money Cards pre loaded with currency value.

Alternatively there is a frequent train service from the International Terminal to the City for around $ 30 for two persons.

Edited by kuldalai

Australian ATMs accept all cards with a Maestro or Cirrus logo, irrespective of where they were issued. Taxi drivers do too.

You may pay a fee of up the $4.50 to use the machine plus any other fees the bank decides upon Usually this si still the most cost effective system

Ask the taxi driver to go via O'Riordan (REARDEN) street to minimise the fare.

if you are going straight to the ship I'd be getting $100 out at the airport… this will cover your taxi (which may be as high as $65 depending on time of day) and some small costs in and around the city. You may end up caught out with minimum CC charges of $10 if you wish to buy a drink etc..

Edited by MrsWaldo