Coming to Falmouth Harbor in December on Windsurf - Info appreciated

tbmrt

We will be coming into Falmouth Harbor on Windsurf - 10am - 6pm in December.

Would love to hear from anyone who has done so, visited beaches, snorkeling possible tours, etc

Thanks

Barbara

Would love to hear from anyone who has done so, visited beaches, snorkeling possible tours, etc

Thanks

Barbara

Looks like you're on the south end of the island so you might want to take advantage of that. It puts you out of the way of the usual cruise traffic in St John's.

Anyway you're close to Nelson's Dockyard which is one harbor over. There are beaches all over the place, so that shouldn't be hard. You might take a drive up Fig Tree Road which takes you up in the hills.

• 4 months later...

We did this cruise a few years back on the Windsurf. We opted to go to Nelson's Dockyard for several hours, which we found very enjoyable and relaxing. It was a relatively easy walk to Nelson's Dockyard from the tender drop off (hilly, but short). Other cruisers and crew walked to a nearby beach. The route to both was initially the same with those going to the beach turning off at about the halfway point. The crew were good at pointing us in the right direction. On our return to the ship we enjoyed some time off the sports platform, lounging on floating mats and the inflatable raft with slide. We saw lots of fabulous boats, both while on the tender and at Nelson's Dockyard. Not sure if we were just lucky (our stop was on a Sunday in March) but there were hardly any people at Nelson's, which was a bonus. This port stop was one of the highlights of the cruise for us.

By the way, there was a cafe to the right of the tender drop off point where for the cost of a cup of coffee you could connect to their wi-fi; a much cheaper option that purchasing the Internet package onboard the ship.

Hope you have a lovely cruise! It's a great itinerary and being on a smaller ship, you moor in lovely bays.

Thanks so much. This information is just what I was looking for.

Our other alternative is to book a snorkel boat tour directly (Mystique). We had snorkeled the caves years go and loved it.

Do you happen to remember any other highlights of your Windsurf trip? I've been researching, but great to hear directly from someone who has been there. Not many on the Windstar board, guess due to # of passengers.

Thanks again.

Barbara

My husband dives, so he did the Wreck of the Rhone dive from Tortola and loved it. I did the snorkel tour out to the caves and the Indians. Unfortunately it was raining that day and the tour operator only took us to the caves. I have since snorkelled the Indians and it is full of colourful sea life. I also did the catamaran trip out to Sandy Cay from Jost. You swim into cay from the catamaran. They didn't offer the option of walking up to the Bubbly Pool when I did it. I've done that though on a different visit (non cruise) and it was about a 20 minute hike up to it. The sail into Virgin Gorda is very good; the Wind Surf is the largest ship that can go into the bay. I opted to spend the day on Prickly Pear - they had all of the water toys out and the beach buffet was good. The tender went in a triangle - the stores and restaurants, the beach and back to the ship. The people who went to the Baths were back in time for the beach meal. They found it crowded as other cruise ships berthed in Tortola had brought their guests over on excursions. If you want to do this trip it may be worth checking out if other ships are in port in the BVIs that day. In St Bart's we just walked around town and up to the lookout.

A number of people have posted reviews of the Yachtsman's Carribbean itinerary on Cruise Critic; they should pop up if you put the phrase in your search. I note though that your itinerary is in a slightly different order from ours - Antigua was our first port and we moored overnight at Jost.

Being able to go onto the bridge (when it's open for visitors) and watch the crew at work is a highlight of all of our cruises with Windstar. The officers are always happy to answer your questions providing they don't have something they have to do! It's worth looking down off the side of the ship when moored at night; we saw large tarpon swimming up and down the length of the ship feeding on the smaller fish that were attracted there by the ship's lights.

Thanks

Barbara

Hi Barbara

I keep "running into you" on these boards - Since it's

our first Windstar cruise - I keep checking any new info that pops up.

We have been to Antigua on other cruises - so I can answer with some Antigua stuff:

In Falmouth we are going to be very close to English Harbour - so I highly recommend doing an English Harbour and National Parks tour including Shirley Heights (absolutely spectacular views from above since it overlooks the bay and fantastic photo ops). Most tours to English Harbour will include Shirley Heights.

Since we have done this before, we are probably just going to a beach. The closest nice one to Falmouth is Pigeon Point Beach.

So funny Zeno......I had the exact itinerary that you mentioned in your last post planned for us in Antigua.

Here is what we have in mind so far (just some thoughts...nothing "in blood"). We are really beach people and love snorkeling. Had been to Jost Van Dyke and Tortola area 25 years ago when my daughter was interning at Stouffer's, St. Thomas (washed away in hurricane I think). Celebrating our 25th anniversary on Windsurf.

St. Martin - Passangahran Hotel - arriving at 10PM!, 12/7. Thought it would be nice to spend a full day before Windsurf embarkation. Staying at beach there, hanging at beach bars & restaurants, walking around town OR perhaps revisiting Orient Beach.

St. Barts - Shell Beach and walking around town.

Tortola - Sopers Hole - Either doing a snorkeling tour via boat or heading to Smugglers Cove for snorkeling/beach.

Jost Van Dyke - Beach, Soggy Dollar Bar and other beachbars. Foxy's in evening.

Virgin Gorda - Skipping Baths this time and just doing the Prickly Pear event.

We enjoy the ease of cruising since we live in the Tampa area and wanted something special for our anniversary. My husband, Tom, is a personal trainer, specializing in seniors. After retiring from our mortgage business, he started this "new career" and loves it. I workout with him once a week, but my passion is dance/Jazzercise classes 3x a week.

So excited about seeing the night sky, doing water toys and reading/relaxing onboard a smaller ship.

Since our return flight back to Tampa through Charlotte doesn't leave SXM til 3:45 we probably will just head back to leave our luggage at Passangahran hotel and hang out in Phillipsburg til we head to airport.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Barbara & Tom

Barbara

So funny Zeno......I had the exact itinerary that you mentioned in your last post planned for us in Antigua.

Here is what we have in mind so far (just some thoughts...nothing "in blood"). We are really beach people and love snorkeling. Had been to Jost Van Dyke and Tortola area 25 years ago when my daughter was interning at Stouffer's, St. Thomas (washed away in hurricane I think). Celebrating our 25th anniversary on Windsurf.

St. Martin - Passangahran Hotel - arriving at 10PM!, 12/7. Thought it would be nice to spend a full day before Windsurf embarkation. Staying at beach there, hanging at beach bars & restaurants, walking around town OR perhaps revisiting Orient Beach.

St. Barts - Shell Beach and walking around town.

Tortola - Sopers Hole - Either doing a snorkeling tour via boat or heading to Smugglers Cove for snorkeling/beach.

Jost Van Dyke - Beach, Soggy Dollar Bar and other beachbars. Foxy's in evening.

Virgin Gorda - Skipping Baths this time and just doing the Prickly Pear event.

We enjoy the ease of cruising since we live in the Tampa area and wanted something special for our anniversary. My husband, Tom, is a personal trainer, specializing in seniors. After retiring from our mortgage business, he started this "new career" and loves it. I workout with him once a week, but my passion is dance/Jazzercise classes 3x a week.

So excited about seeing the night sky, doing water toys and reading/relaxing onboard a smaller ship.

Since our return flight back to Tampa through Charlotte doesn't leave SXM til 3:45 we probably will just head back to leave our luggage at Passangahran hotel and hang out in Phillipsburg til we head to airport.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Barbara & Tom

Barbara

Same here nothing "in blood" yet but we have a rough island plan.

we are somewhat limited in choices because I still have a "not very flexible" knee from knee replacement surgery. Normally we would be snorkeling a lot and still intend to do some but probably just from shore.

SXM - We arrive on Dec 08 - late afternoon and will also be staying at the Pasanggrahan

St. Barts - we have been there before and are toying with renting a car - so probably that or shell beach

Tortola - still trying to decide which beach

Jost Van Dyke - beach for sure

Virgin Gorda - been to The Baths twice and with my knee I could probably make into down the hill but certainly not through The Baths - toying with the idea of taking the ferry to Gun Creek and then a taxi to Spring Bay - (the path to the beach is less challenging) But it seems most likely we will just do Prickly Pear - least complicated option

Antigua - like I said Pigeon Beach looks easy

When we return to SXM we are spending a couple of days on Orient beach before we fly home.

We are middle-aged - me a little more so. My DH is a bit of a fitness freak - he cycles and

works out and does Yoga - so if you see some guy on the deck in lotus position accompanied by a distinctly less flexible limping woman - that's us.

Greatly looking forward to the Wind Surf and meeting everyone

Zeno,

Sorry to read about your knee replacement. Hopefully by the time of the cruise your knee will be in better shape. Loved this comment:

We are middle-aged - me a little more so. My DH is a bit of a fitness freak - he cycles and works out and does Yoga - so if you see some guy on the deck in lotus position accompanied by a distinctly less flexible limping woman - that's us.

Zeno,

Sorry to read about your knee replacement. Hopefully by the time of the cruise your knee will be in better shape. Loved this comment:

We are middle-aged - me a little more so. My DH is a bit of a fitness freak - he cycles and works out and does Yoga - so if you see some guy on the deck in lotus position accompanied by a distinctly less flexible limping woman - that's us.

We are a study in contrasts - pretzely hyperactive guy and the slow moving tubby hobbler. Luckily I love water stuff (it is kind to the less mobile and has become my main exercise). I like to walk and I miss long walks the most. However the knee replacement was a "good" thing - I am no longer in pain - stiffness and mobility loss is a minor price to pay.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for people that have been to Antigua before. We will be on the Windsurf in Falmouth Harbor January 8 which is a Sunday. I found an excursion we would like to go on but it leaves from St. John at 9:00 AM. How is the traffic in Antigua? Is there less traffic on the weekends? Also, if the tenders leave at 8:00 AM is it difficult to get on the first tender? Does anyone know how long the tender takes in Antigua? My plan is to have a taxi waiting for us so we can get to St John as quickly as possible.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Plan B for your back pocket.....check your excursion itinerary. A lot of them leave from St. John's and then call at Dickensen Beach. If you just missed it in St. John's, not to worry, it's only 10 minutes by road to Dickensen but your excursion boat will take a lot longer. You'll easily catch it there.