St. George mini bus

Artemis908

From what I gather, it's more of a shuttle. Here's some information:

St. George's Minibus Service & Routes

There are couple of circuits covered by the minibus services at St. George's and both operate during summer (May to October). Both services start from St. George's Town Center (i.e. Kings Square), make a loop and return. Several such round trips are made during the day. You can buy day tickets for $6 at the Visitors' Information Center at Kings Square.

The first route goes along Government Hill Road, covers Unfinished Church, Achilley's Bay Beach, St. Catherine's Fort, then takes the Barry Road covering Alexandra Fort & Building Bay, Gates Fort and then takes the Cut Road and returns via Mullet Bay Road. The service is available almost every 30 minutes during the day time. No night service.

The second route goes to St. David's, covers Carter House Museum, St. David's Battery, St. David's Lighthouse and Clearwater Beach and then returns. This service has been introduced in July 2015.

Really? :eek: I sure hope it starts sooner this year!

I need to correct what I said. The route to St. Davids didn't start until July, but the original route that went to Tobacco Bay, St. Catherine's, etc. started running in May.

In any event, these are not government-run bus routes. They were created and funded by the Tourism Authority and local area businesses. If they determine that these shuttle routes were not cost-effective, they may not run them this year. I hope they do, but I don't think we can assume the shuttle service will be offered again this year.

I need to correct what I said. The route to St. Davids didn't start until July, but the original route that went to Tobacco Bay, St. Catherine's, etc. started running in May.

In any event, these are not government-run bus routes. They were created and funded by the Tourism Authority and local area businesses. If they determine that these shuttle routes were not cost-effective, they may not run them this year. I hope they do, but I don't think we can assume the shuttle service will be offered again this year.

I'm only going by what they posted on their website.

we were in St G for a week in Aug. and never sawa this bus once. I asked at the tourism office about the bus to clearwater beach the next day and they said it wouldn't run until noon or so, which was too late for us. I hope they get it runing more, but I would not count on it as reliable transport. St. G is a lovely place, somewhat eco depressed b/c most cruiseships don't dock there anymore. It's safe and friendly, please visit. Once in StG from the ferry, it's easy to walk almost anywhere and then take a taxi to St Catherines Fort, if the minibus in not running.

We did this shuttle last June and it was great. The gentleman that was our driver said he was part owner and hoped that he could increase his business.

We had to wait about 20 minutes for the bus but it was ok. Yes the driver will tell you about some of the places but you may have to ask him. Hopefully this shuttle will keep running as it is a good way for the tourists to get from one place to another.

Hope this helps.

I was just told by the VIC in St. George that there will not be a hop-on, hop-off shuttle this year. Instead there will be a shuttle with designated stops; for example: one to Tobacco Bay $7.00/pp RT; one to St. Catherine $6.00/pp or $10.00/pp which includes shuttle and admission to the fort; one to Clearwater for $12.00/pp. Supposedly, there was overcrowding on the HOHO out to Tobacco Bay and no one could get on.

I will have to change our plans for the day we were going to visit St. George as I thought we would take a ferry over (buy a booklet of tickets at the VIC - which I was also told will not be available - only one day pass) and do the HOHO. If anyone visits prior to our May 15th cruise and has time to post any information regarding this, please do so.

The walk to Tobacco bay is about a mile, right? Wondering how that will be in late July heat.

Are taxis readily available at the ferry? How much would a cab be to TB beach? We have 4 people so it might make more sense to do this instead of walking or waiting for a bus.

The walk to Tobacco bay is about a mile, right? Wondering how that will be in late July heat.

Are taxis readily available at the ferry? How much would a cab be to TB beach? We have 4 people so it might make more sense to do this instead of walking or waiting for a bus.

It could be hot and humid. You don't have to decide until you get to St. George. If you want to take a taxi if there is not one at the ferry terminal walk a few blocks to the town square. You will find taxis there. The fare from the ferry terminal will be about $9. From town square about $6. If you decide not to walk, with four people it makes sense to take a taxi over the shuttle.

Edited by Charles4515

I was just told by the VIC in St. George that there will not be a hop-on, hop-off shuttle this year. Instead there will be a shuttle with designated stops; for example: one to Tobacco Bay $7.00/pp RT; one to St. Catherine $6.00/pp or $10.00/pp which includes shuttle and admission to the fort; one to Clearwater for $12.00/pp. Supposedly, there was overcrowding on the HOHO out to Tobacco Bay and no one could get on.

I will have to change our plans for the day we were going to visit St. George as I thought we would take a ferry over (buy a booklet of tickets at the VIC - which I was also told will not be available - only one day pass) and do the HOHO. If anyone visits prior to our May 15th cruise and has time to post any information regarding this, please do so.

I'll be on the week before you. I'll do my best to report back about the St. George shuttle. I really want to take it out to St. Catherine's Beach (not necessarily the fort). If they don't have the shuttle going, I guess we'll have to take a taxi and arrange for a pick up time.

I'll be on the week before you. I'll do my best to report back about the St. George shuttle. I really want to take it out to St. Catherine's Beach (not necessarily the fort). If they don't have the shuttle going, I guess we'll have to take a taxi and arrange for a pick up time.

You could walk it. In May it is a pleasant walk.

ec9172526463fe948e5ae139d1945c8d.jpg

We were there in July last year and I was not all that impressed with the HOHO bus. We bought tickets on our first day simply because we had no idea where we were going but would not do it again next month when we return even if they were offering this year. The busses are very small, don't come around very frequently, and the stops are not clearly marked. On our second day, we had to chase down the bus because it had not gone all the way to the designated stop and my husband just happened to see it rounding the corner (headed out) about a block away. We were headed to Alexandra Battery to look for beach glass and the driver was trying so hard to dissuade us that another young lady, who was travelling alone and also wanting to go there, decided not to go. We spent a nice half hour there but then it started to pour rain and we ended up taking shelter in the fort and running out in the rain every few minutes so the bus would not pass us by. We waited so long with no bus in sight that when it finally stopped raining, we decided to walk back to town. It was a long but very pleasant walk and ended up being one of the more memorable moments of our cruise.

All that to say that if you are in halfway decent physical condition, walking is the way to go in St. George.

I'd love to walk that distance, but DH's knee won't make it. :(

If you have trouble with the shuttle running back from St. Catherine, the experience in the past has been most lose interest in waiting for it, you might have go to Fort St. Catherine for a taxi. Or at Blackbeards Hideout I think they would call you a taxi.

If you have trouble with the shuttle running back from St. Catherine, the experience in the past has been most lose interest in waiting for it, you might have go to Fort St. Catherine for a taxi. Or at Blackbeards Hideout I think they would call you a taxi.

I'm kind-of anticipating that. After reconsidering, we may end up taking a taxi and asking the driver to pick us up at an established time, especially since the fare seems to be minimal. Thanks as always for all your help, Charles! :)