Travelling to Hawaii in May 2016, looking for tips, tricks and recommendations

Phoenix_13

Hi,

My partner and I are sailing to Hawaii in May 2016 and are looking for any tips, hints or recommendations. We are both w/c users and are struggling with tour options. We are going to Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai and Maui.

Thanks!

Megan

We were able to get a lift equipped bus tour through the ship in Hilo and Kauai on one of our trips, but we also rented cars in both those ports, as well as Maui (Lahaina) and Honolulu in the past, and just did our own thing. If you and your partner can transfer to a car, and halve folding manual wheelchairs, and can load them yourselves, that might be best for you. Can one of your drive a car without hand controls? If you need hand controls, many of the rental agencies can provide these with advance reservations (mostly the big companies like Avis) or you can bring your own portable hand controls.

Keep in mind that Lahaina is a tender port, and since I see you are going on Princess, it is important to know that they will allow you to tender ONLY if 1) you can stand and walk onto the tender separate from the wheelchair, and 2) if the safety officer allows it (commonly they do not if it is at all rough water).

With Princess, you have to be VERY specific about your needs for tours. Don't just ask about "accessible tours" as they will expect you can walk up the steps of a bus. You have to ask specifically about a tour with a wheelchair lift, and for both of you, some tour buses can accommodate only one wheelchair.

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter in Oahu has a specially designed lift for wheelchair users. If you can slide from the WC to their lift seat (and shimmy into helicopter)....... you'll be able to enjoy Hawaii from an awesome angle!

Blue Hawaiian Helicopter in Oahu has a specially designed lift for wheelchair users. If you can slide from the WC to their lift seat (and shimmy into helicopter)....... you'll be able to enjoy Hawaii from an awesome angle!

Thanks Steve-O! I'll check them out! 🏝🚢

Try Kamaaina Custom Tours in Hilo. Robert used his knowledge about the accessibility of different Hilo attractions, our list of places we wanted to see and a description of our mobility issues to design a private custom tour at a reasonable price (compared to ship excursions). I found him by googling "custom tours in Hilo". I'm sure you could do the same for other ports.

• 5 weeks later...