Getting off ship in port with mobility scooter

evergladesgator

Anyone have experience getting off the ship in port with a mobility scooter ? Just wondering how it goes down and up the passenger ramps. Goin on a 8 day southern cruise and dw has difficult time walking without ability to sit and rest. Gonna rent a scooter here in Ft. Lauderdale. thanks

Good evening,

I took my scooter on the Crown Princess for a wonderful 28 days. I had no problem getting off and on the ship with my scooter. I am able to walk down a ramp with rails and the staff was very helpful. This was for the short ramp right off the ship and I could drive my scooter on the less steep ramps leading to the ground level.

On ship I was guided to the exit and often did not have to use the usual elevators. Staff would direct me to special lines and I would walk off and they would move my scooter down the ramps. If you can do this be sure you show the staff how to disengage your scooter so it will easily roll and not damage the scooter.

Be sure and take your charger and if you are off for a long day you can find an outlet and charge your battery. Make sure your charger will work off the ship.

I always replace my batteries just before a cruise to ensure being able to go further on an over night charge.

The staff on Princess were wonderful and well trained in dealing with passengers with wheels. I remember seeing strong young men wearing a vest with the handicapped symbol ready to help me have a wonderful day.

The only problem I had was going in to see a show and on a ramp that had a metal bump that my scooter did not like it stopped cold. It wasn't until I had help pushing it back to my cabin that I remembered a reset button on the battery case. One quick button push and I was good to go.

I also took a cane and a walker. I used the walker for tender ports.

Hope this helps

Have fun and enjoy your cruise

Happy cruising to all

4boysnana

Sometimes it will be a big help if your wife can walk down/up the ramp. There are times the tide is such that the ramp is too steep to safely descend, or have power to ride back up. There are also times where there is a little connector on the ramp, and the pitch changes, so it's easier to get off, and let the stewards roll the scooter. Other times the ramp will make a 90º turn in a tight area, and it can be easier to get off and move the scooter manually.

Also, when leaving, take a good look at the route out from the pier area. One time I was directed to a cordoned off pathway, but there were short, steep ramps up, then another to get back down. The change in pitch made it very difficult to move the scooter. as it would get hung up at the joints. Coming back I asked for permission to drive it in the road right alongside. Getting rid of that up/down was a big help.

I LOVE cruising with a scooter. It has given me a freedom to get out and enjoy that I thought was gone for good.

It depends on what ship and what port. Some ships have gangways that are lower to the dock and they allow scooters to disembark at most ports. Some ships just don't seem to be designed to allow scooters off the ship because the gangways are too steep.

Hi,

I love the steep down ramps, it's the closest thing I get to going on a roller coaster :):):)

Joking apart, if you feel unsure ask one of the crew to drive it for you, asking for assistance to walk the plank ( :) ) from a crew member.

Pete

Anyone have experience getting off the ship in port with a mobility scooter ? Just wondering how it goes down and up the passenger ramps. Goin on a 8 day southern cruise and dw has difficult time walking without ability to sit and rest. Gonna rent a scooter here in Ft. Lauderdale. thanks

The ease of getting on/off the ship with a mobility scooter depends greatly on several variables such as :

• Under Clearance of the scooter
  • Angle incline of gangway ( angle varies throughout the day due to water levels)
  • Type of scooter and wheel size. If the scooter is a full size or bariatric size scooter the process is easier.For travel size scooters which are the most commonly rented the process can be trickier.

The most widely rented are CareVacation's s Midsize scooter and SpecialNeedsatSea's standard scooter which are both part of the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler Series and have an under clearance at the motor of only 1.5". Such low under clearance often results in the scooter getting hung up on the gangway joints. The initial reaction of the crew is to give the scooter a hard push. DO NOT ALLOW THE CREW TO PUSH THE SCOOTER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! By doing so you can be hurt not to mention that pushing the scooter when in Drive/Locked Mode can damage the motor rendering it useless for the remainder of the cruise. Any damage to a rented scooter is your responsibility including full replacement cost.

If you're able to walk/up down the gangway even with assistance it's recommended that you do so. The scooter can than be placed in Freewheeled mode by move the yellow lever just under the seat on the rare wheels to the unlocked position and the crew can than easily roll the scooter down/up the gangway. If you're not able to walk up/down the scooter than make certain there is a screw member guiding the scooter in front as well as a crew member guiding it in the rear. Remember to place the scooter back in Drive/Locked Mode after you are off the gangways.

If for some reason the crew gives the scooter a hard push before you can properly assess the situation, the scooter will lockup abruptly and stop working. Should this happen there is a reset button with a bubble cover located on the front of the battery casing provided the scooter is a Pride GoGo Model. Turn the key to the off position , press the battery reset button and restart the scooter. If the scooter does not start after having done this a couple of times than the motor has been damaged.

Other points to be noted:

• If the itinerary includes tendered ports the scooter will only be allowed if the Tender has roll-on capabilities. Even if the tender has roll-on capabilities the Captain can deny scooters from being boarded due to weather and or sea conditions.
  • SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations, Coast Guard Regulations as well the cruise lines regulations prohibit storage of the scooter in the hallways. The scooter must be stored in your cabin when not being used.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Alternatively, you can rent local to your home and transport it to the ship yourself. It is a little less expensive that way, but you do have the inconvenience of transporting the scooter. However, if you are flying, you do have the use of it for the airports :)

Alternatively, you can rent local to your home and transport it to the ship yourself. It is a little less expensive that way, but you do have the inconvenience of transporting the scooter. However, if you are flying, you do have the use of it for the airports :)

Yes renting locally is often cheaper and taking it with you is always an option but the following need to be factored into the decision when deciding to rent from one of the cruise line's approved vendors or renting elsewhere.

• Taking the scooter on a plane increases the changes of it being damaged by the airlines. Have friend that has had her scooter damaged beyond repair 3 times by the airlines. Another friend had it damaged by the airline the day she was to board the ship and had a very difficult time getting a replacement delivered to the ship before departure. She almost had to go with a scooter which was going to be a very stressful cruise.
  • More often than not both SpecialNeedsatSea and Carevacations load a couple extra scooters onto the ship in the event one of their rentals becomes inoperable during the cruise .

I have purchased my own scooter. When we were at the dealer and I told them we cruise a lot they told me that the one I bought is the one they usually rent to people going on a cruise. They also said it was about $100 per week to rent. They dis-assemble fairly easily to put in the trunk of your car. Check with a dealer in your area that sells and rents them. You could save a lot that way. It also makes travelling with your spouse or companion a LOT EASIER on them.