Hawaii Cruise Questions

roothy123

I am considering a Hawaiian cruise and have lots of beginner questions:

I'm really into photography, nature, beauty, culture and sightseeing versus lying on a beach. Which islands might be more desirable for me?

If anyone has cruised on more than one different line, did you have a favorite? We have been really spoiled by an excellent but rather expensive cruise line, so I know I won't be absolutely wild about any other line, however, we want to choose something that is OK. We're on the old side, but don't like stuffiness, formalities, and such, but don't care if the entertainment at night is limited. We don't drink much but do enjoy good food.

I'm leaning toward POA because we'd prefer to keep the trip fairly short, but would certainly consider one of the other ships, as that 10 hour flight from the east coast to Honolulu may not be as nice as cruising there from the West Coast.

Our budget is a little on the low side, but we really don't care about having a balcony or suite. In the past we've been happy in inside cabins, but I notice POA's are really small, so I would probably not go for an inside. Are the obstructed ocean views bad? I love looking outside.

About how much does a typical day's excursion cost on each island?

How much time should be alloted for Honolulu, assuming I take POA, which basically would start and end there with not much time to see the city/island?

I notice there is a good amount of rain in Hawaii in Jan. and Feb. compared to April, May and June. Has anyone visited in Jan./Feb, and if so, what was the weather like? Monthly average is, I think, 3 inches in Feb., which doesn't sound too bad, but is that little spits of rain, then it clears up, or what am I likely to expect then?

Any information you can give me would be appreciated!

I'm really into photography, nature, beauty, culture and sightseeing versus lying on a beach. Which islands might be more desirable for me?

If anyone has cruised on more than one different line, did you have a favorite? We have been really spoiled by an excellent but rather expensive cruise line, so I know I won't be absolutely wild about any other line, however, we want to choose something that is OK. We're on the old side, but don't like stuffiness, formalities, and such, but don't care if the entertainment at night is limited. We don't drink much but do enjoy good food.

I'm leaning toward POA because we'd prefer to keep the trip fairly short, but would certainly consider one of the other ships, as that 10 hour flight from the east coast to Honolulu may not be as nice as cruising there from the West Coast.

Our budget is a little on the low side, but we really don't care about having a balcony or suite. In the past we've been happy in inside cabins, but I notice POA's are really small, so I would probably not go for an inside. Are the obstructed ocean views bad? I love looking outside.

How much time should be alloted for Honolulu, assuming I take POA, which basically would start and end there with not much time to see the city/island?

I notice there is a good amount of rain in Hawaii in Jan. and Feb. compared to April, May and June. Has anyone visited in Jan./Feb, and if so, what was the weather like? Monthly average is, I think, 3 inches in Feb., which doesn't sound too bad, but is that little spits of rain, then it clears up, or what am I likely to expect then?

I can't speak for POA but I was on Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver to Hawaii in September of last year and loved it so much my wife and I booked it again. We would have gone this year too except we have a Panama Canal booked for November which is using up most of my vacation time. :o

All of the things you mentioned above (photography, nature, beauty, culture and sightseeing) you will find on all the islands though Kauai is probably the most photogenic and is know as the Garden Isle.

Leaving out of Vancouver will shorten your starting flight though won;t healp much for the return.

I took a lot of pictures and and you can find some in the link in my signature below for the Radiance cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1706027

Bill

All of the islands have a uniqueness about them and you will never find a shortage of things to take pictures of. They are all beautiful in different ways. Oahu you have The Arizona Memorial, Diamond Head the North Shore and of course Waikiki Beach. Maui and Kauai are both lush and green. The road to Hana (Maui) has some beautiful photo ops, waterfalls and scenic stops along the way. Hilo has the volcano and the area looks like a desert and Kona is a fun little town.

We have only been on the Pride of America ( 4 times) so I can't compare but as far as nighttime entertainment we were worn out after a day of touring we did not do much but relax. It is a very informal cruise.

You might look at flying to the West Coast and having a little layover to break up the flight

We have always had balcony cabins so I can't comment but once again this cruise is so port intensive you will find that you spend very little time in your cabin.

If you are not opposed to renting a car that would be the way to go. You can stop and take photos when you want and not when the tour decides to stop. The islands are all easy to navigate. Ohau, especially the Waikiki and Honolulu areas are busy but once you get out of those areas the driving is nice.

We always fly in on Wed. so we have two days to sightsee and adjust to the time change.

Usually the rains come in bursts and then are gone. Depending on the island and where you are. The beaches get less rain but up in the mountain areas it can rain often. I have read that it rains daily somewhere in Hawaii but in all of my trips it rained three times, twice in Kauai in Sept and once in Hilo in May

Have fun making your plans!! Hawaii is a beautiful place!!

We did the POA cruise around the Hawaiian Islands a few years ago. We like scenery/history and of course beaches (we swim every day at home when we can) When we first visited Waikiki before the commencement of the POA cruise, we hired a surfboard and stand up paddle board. We both fell in love with stand up paddle boarding, and now have our own boards.

In Kona, make sure you visit the ancient place of refuge - "Honaunau" - its a must to get an understanding the ancient polynesian or Hawaiians and their sacred laws. Make sure you get a guide to explain things to you at this ancient site.

Then if you want to follow up on this history, visit the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.

Also try to learn as many Hawaiian words as possible, the the local hawaiian native people will appreciate you taking the time to learn & speak their language, and probably say to you "Mahalo - haole"

Archived