SS Dock in Copenhagen and Stockholm

bohaiboy

In Stockholm there is no port where a certain cruise line docks, I have seen Silversea docked in different ports. But a quick look at the Ports of Stockholm site for the coming summer shows Silver ships docking at Stadsgården 160 most of the time. It is a very good location close to Gamla Stan.

However, I did find two dates when they were docked at Värtahamnen 523, this was Silver Whisper on June 26 and Silver Cloud on July 24. This is a commercial port, less close to the city center. I mya have missed some other deviations from STadsgården. If I knew your date I could check for sure. But there is always the possibility that any ship may be moved, even at last minute. It does happen now and then.

And just because your cruise documents say the ship is going to dock at X in Stockholm doesn't mean that will actually happen. We have disembarked in Stockholm twice. Both times, the dock for disembarkation changed from what we were told in our documents, once as late as the night prior. I had hired a car and driver, but fortunately I guess they are used to these changes, because they turned up as scheduled.

And just because your cruise documents say the ship is going to dock at X in Stockholm doesn't mean that will actually happen. We have disembarked in Stockholm twice. Both times, the dock for disembarkation changed from what we were told in our documents, once as late as the night prior. I had hired a car and driver, but fortunately I guess they are used to these changes, because they turned up as scheduled.

Very good point. We were on Seabourn and embarking in Stockholm. The ship wasn't at the dock named on the documents. We took a taxi to the ship and the taxi driver was able to pull up the information about where the ship was actually docked on a gadget in his vehicle. It may have been a regular GPS, I don't remember, but he was able to call up a list of all the passenger ships docked in the city, and their exact location.

When we were on Cloud it was Skeppsbron. CPH it was the dock right beside the little mermaid

For us on the Silver Cloud, it was both departing and returning to this location shown below. Wonderful area with nice views, lots of charm and character nearby, etc.

As noted for both cities, things can and do change. BUT, generally, with Silversea's smaller ships things can often better closer/better in each of these two great, classic cities.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,399 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain where we boarded and returned. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary. Legend has it that the Swedish King promised the goddess Gefion as much land as she could plow overnight. She turned her four sons into oxen and set about accomplishing this herculean task. By the time dawn broke, she had ploughed a sizeable chunk, which she then tossed into the sea. From it sprung the island of Zealand, where Denmark’s capital now sits.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

Here is the view as we approached the Silver Cloud at the pier with the large Gefion Springvandet Fountain in the foreground.:

CPHShipDeparting.jpg

After boarding in July 2010, this was our ship lunch table view of the Opera House and spiral church tower in Copenhagen’s beautiful harbor with the canal tour boats moving back and forth. Don’t miss the canal boat tour to sample this wonderful town and its history/architecture from water level.:

CPHDeptLunchView.jpg