Le Harve to Mont St Michel

BlackJack2

We arrive in Le Harve at 7 am and depart at 8 pm on the Crown Princess in July. Are there any tours, out of Le Harve, that go to Mont St Michel? Is Mont St Michel close enought to rent a car, travel, see Mont St Michel, and make it back on board in time for sailing? Has anyone traveled to Mont St Michel from Le Harve?

We arrive in Le Harve at 7 am and depart at 8 pm on the Crown Princess in July. Are there any tours, out of Le Harve, that go to Mont St Michel? Is Mont St Michel close enought to rent a car, travel, see Mont St Michel, and make it back on board in time for sailing? Has anyone traveled to Mont St Michel from Le Harve?

You might want to go to the France boards for Europe posts here on Cruise Critics. This includes some info that several, including me, have posted there. Check these two threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1109120&highlight=michel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=954789&highlight=mont+saint+michel

There are lots of major pluses in doing a rental car and seeing some of the highlights in Normandy. Per MapQuest.com, it takes 2 hours 17 minutes to cover those 136.21 miles by car, one way. Not a short trip, but possible with other excellent options to consider.

HERE'S WHAT I POSTED EARLIER:

As the others have noted, renting a car to see the Normandy beaches, etc., can be done and it gives you lots of flexibility. If you team with another couple, it can work very well in an affordable manner. You have many options to consider. You can't do it all during this one port day, but you can do much in that time period. Here are a couple of notes on those wonderful options.

NORMANDY: This is an area with many great potentials, including its 360-mile coastline, historic cities, beaches, lush farmlands, fine cheeses, nice ciders and many Gastronomic delights! This includes calvados, an apple brandy and Camembert cheese, a local specialty. It was part of ancient Gaul, conquered by Julius Caesar in the 1st century BC. The name of Normandy is derived from the settlement and conquest of the territory by Vikings ("Northmen") from the 9th century. Architecture in upper Normandy is typified by half-timbered buildings that also recall vernacular English architecture.

For the area, here’s more tourism info: http://www.normandie-tourisme.fr

BAYEUX: This charming town is built around the magnificent Cathedral of Notre-Dame and is home to the 200-foot long Bayeux Tapestry. This is a world famous masterpiece whose cartoon-like scenes depict the epic tale of William the Conqueror's expedition conquering England in 1066 AD. We had a wonderful lunch at the Lion d’Or, a former coaching inn dating back to 1770. The town/area tourism website is: http://www.bessin-normandie.fr

WORLD WAR II LANDING BEACHES: The largest military landing in history took place in Normandy on June 6, 1944 with 130,000 troops landing that day on the beaches. Monuments, museums and bunkers are a living commemoration to the Battle of Normandy. The American Cemetery is located near Colleville-sur-Mer on a cliff overlooking Omaha Beach (one of the landing beaches of the Normandy Invasion) and the English Channel. It covers 172 acres and contains the remains of 9,387 American military dead, most of whom were killed during the invasion of Normandy and ensuing military operations. The graves face westward, towards the United States. This cemetery is very moving and is maintained in an incredibly beautiful manner.

MONT-ST-MICHEL (mohn-san-mee-shel) is a unique abbey perched precariously on a 264-foot high rocky islet connected to the mainland by a causeway. Surrounded by over half a mile of massive walls and reached by a steep climb up winding streets, it remains one of the greatest sightseeing attractions in Europe and the second only to the Eiffel Tower as the most visited place in France. Its fortifications enabled the islet to withstand repeated English assaults during the Hundred Years' War. The abbey served as a prison during Napoleon's reign. Restored after 1863, and connected to the mainland by a causeway in 1875), Mont-St.Michel is also known for its tides, the highest on the continent. For more tourist info/options: http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

There is a rental car agency right on the pier (at least there used to be). We rented a car there and drove to MSM, climbed to the top taking the recorded tour, had lunch and then drove to the US Cemetery, walked down to the beach, watched some movies at the center and walked around the cemetery. So there is plenty of time. The drive was easy. We got a map before we left so we knew where we were going.

I have been talking with Le Havre Taxis, and they have a ten hour tour to Mont St. Michel. The cost if you have 4 people is around $174 and if you have 6 around $140. Here is the website. The tour you want is Circuit #4. The pricing is the "information et renseignements". I hope I can find some others to join me on our May 9 visit. I have spoken to Juan (owner) and he assures me that he has had no difficulty making it back to port in plenty of time on these tours.

http://www.taxis-le-havre.com/taxitour/index.html

Amy

Edited by rusticfurnituremaker

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
I know this thread is three years old :eek: but I am trying to find out if Le Havre Taxis is still in business - the link leads to a Japanese page. I am trying to find options for a private tour to Mont St Michel from Le Havre next June.

Ditto. I am stopping in Le Harve in October on the Emerald Trans-Atlantic, & am interested in going to Mont St Michel for the day. Has anyone done this, or have recommendations on a driver/taxi service for this excursion? Thanks!

Berni

• 2 months later...
You might get a quicker answer by posting these questions on the correct board, ne pensez-vous pas?

Mais le forum convenable est celui-ci, "Grande Bretagne/Europe de l'Ouest".

Le forum "La France" est seulement pour "les ports Mediterrraneen".

Touche, mon brave ;)

Jean Taureau :)

Edited by John Bull

• 3 years later...