Long lines at BCN passport control

As of April 7 the EU issued new passport rules for European (Schengen) nationals. Due to stricter security of these passengers the lines to go through passport control are very long. Yesterday it took people three hours from the moment of touch down to getting out of the airport. Long lines and only two people checking passports leads to chaos as was the case the past weekend.

Is this a separate line from people coming in from outside the EU? You'd think they would have more than 2 people checking passports with new rules. Never been and why I'm asking as we fly in in Sept and want to prepare myself (along with my then 6 year old) for a very long wait.

Apparently Border Patrol at BCN is understaffed. EU passengers, before April 7, never had to go through passport control and even then there were long lines for passengers coming from outside EU territory.

Border Patrol says that now with the new rule they just don't have enough people, but they are working on it.

Apparently Border Patrol at BCN is understaffed. EU passengers, before April 7, never had to go through passport control and even then there were long lines for passengers coming from outside EU territory.

Border Patrol says that now with the new rule they just don't have enough people, but they are working on it.

So does this mean now everyone goes thru the same line? Sure hope they hire a lot of people very soon as this is not a small airport by any means.

Last summer it was about 3 hours coming from Miami. Also not enough people. Very long lines. Pretty awful. Makes us not want to come back. A bad way to start a vacation. :(:(:(

I just read in a Spanish newspaper that the Spanish Secretary of Interior has stepped in and as of today more Border Patrol agents are working at BCN. They hope to get even more before the summer traffic starts.

Lets hope this problem will soon get solved to the satisfaction of all travelers flying in to BCN.

I just read in a Spanish newspaper that the Spanish Secretary of Interior has stepped in and as of today more Border Patrol agents are working at BCN. They hope to get even more before the summer traffic starts.

Lets hope this problem will soon get solved to the satisfaction of all travelers flying in to BCN.

I hope so. They are sure giving themselves a black eye. Not a good way to begin a vacation.

Sorry to hear this, but also it seems lines are long (and workers few) in many places.

I touched down from my Med cruise at Dulles (Washington DC) on Saturday and there were only two passport agents working: one for US nationals, and one for everyone else! Those of us with connecting flights had quite a long wait; despite having nearly 3 hours, I barely made my onward flight...

The issue at hand is politically motivated (current quarrel between the governments of Catalonia and Spain) as the passport control is handled by the Spanish Police which is dependent of the Spanish Ministry of the Interior. This airport handles over 44 million passengers each year, one of the busiest in Europe, and in general terms is an efficient airport, so they know exactly how to handle these things... The general consensus here is that they knew exactly this would happen yet still let it happen, supposedly to create an "unfavourable state of opinion". In fact, this is, suspiciously, the only airport in Spain in which this problem occurred, and Spain has a few of the busiest airports in the continent, namely Madrid, Mallorca...

In any case, the political row is there already so now it's expected things go back to normal within a few days... so no, those flying out in October don't need to change their plans, for God sake! :)

Edited by EnricM

The issue at hand is politically motivated (current quarrel between the governments of Catalonia and Spain) as the passport control is handled by the Spanish Police which is dependent of the Spanish Ministry of the Interior. This airport handles over 44 million passengers each year, one of the busiest in Europe, and in general terms is an efficient airport, so they know exactly how to handle these things... The general consensus here is that they knew exactly this would happen yet still let it happen, supposedly to create an "unfavourable state of opinion". In fact, this is, suspiciously, the only airport in Spain in which this problem occurred, and Spain has a few of the busiest airports in the continent, namely Madrid, Mallorca...

In any case, the political row is there already so now it's expected things go back to normal within a few days... so no, those flying out in October don't need to change their plans, for God sake! :)

Why would you expect it to go back to normal in a few days if this has been going on since last summer at least? :confused::confused::confused:

That's untrue RJB... there have been "busy" days -coinciding with specific dates-, but none as those in this past week which has been, frankly, totally unacceptable and unbecoming of this type of airports. I fly in and out of this airport very often, I know. This has come about due to the new regulations in the Schengen space here at the EU which now requires passport control for a wider range of passengers and that have come into effect just a few weeks ago.

In any case, latest news earlier today is that the Spanish police union representatives have had a meeting with the Spanish government delegate here in Catalonia, and he has committed to increasing both the officers' detachment and the resources at the airport. We'll see...

Edited by EnricM

That's untrue RJB... there have been "busy" days -coinciding with specific dates-, but none as those in this past week. I fly in and out of this airport very often, I know.

I'm assuming it'll be really busy next weekend (13th/14th) due to the Grand Prix.

I've got wheelchair assistant for my father. Will we go past the lines? Both my parents can't stand very long.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... I'm afraid I can't say, sorry,... let's hope it will be. In fact, yesterday and today it's been relatively "normal", but again, we're not in the middle of a short break or a bank holiday when hundreds of thousands flock into Barcelona -which is when these problems are likely to arise.

That's untrue RJB... there have been "busy" days -coinciding with specific dates-, but none as those in this past week which has been, frankly, totally unacceptable and unbecoming of this type of airports. I fly in and out of this airport very often, I know. This has come about due to the new regulations in the Schengen space here at the EU which now requires passport control for a wider range of passengers and that have come into effect just a few weeks ago.

In any case, latest news earlier today is that the Spanish police union representatives have had a meeting with the Spanish government delegate here in Catalonia, and he has committed to increasing both the officers' detachment and the resources at the airport. We'll see...

Sorry to say it is very true.. We flew into BCN on July 1 of last year from MIA and spent 3 hours in line. There were separate lines for EU and the rest of us. The EU line moved very well, while we just stood there. Just about everyone we met on our cruise that left July 3 said the same thing. Also our private driver told us it had been going on for some time. Lets hope they end this nonsense and we can all be happier.

... so you came in July last year... then you're been twice in this airport... you are indeed extremely knowledgeable then. Congratulations.

Wrong. We have been there quite a few times before last summer and did not have that problem. But our driver told us he is there almost every day, so unless you are there that often I will have take his word. I think you are getting the wrong idea about my post. We love Barcelona very much. One of our favorate cities. Hope to be back before the end of the year. But with this kind of problem you are getting a big black eye that has to be fixed.

Ah no, I wasn't assuming anything... it's just that I've been flying out of it three or four times every month for the past decade... Btw, I am not getting anything, I just use the damn thing :)

Btw, either you didn't properly read my post earlier, or you're obviously unaware that July 1st in Europe is pretty much like your Xmas rush when in comes to air travel.

As of April 7 the EU issued new passport rules for European (Schengen) nationals. Due to stricter security of these passengers the lines to go through passport control are very long. Yesterday it took people three hours from the moment of touch down to getting out of the airport. Long lines and only two people checking passports leads to chaos as was the case the past weekend.

Sounds like this has been the norm. Lets hope it gets better.

glad you posted... it gives us all a heads up... we plan to fly into BCN in October...h opefully better by then.... even in the USA.... JFK, San Francisco... can take an hour to go through ... so not surprised...

glad you posted... it gives us all a heads up... we plan to fly into BCN in October...h opefully better by then.... even in the USA.... JFK, San Francisco... can take an hour to go through ... so not surprised...

Yes we also have waited an hour or so in London, and Amsterdam but 3 hours is off the charts. They say that it is being fixed and I hope so as we will be there later in the year also. :)