Thinking of cruising Silversea Wind Can You Help Me

Bonnielass

Dear all

Can you help.

I am considering booking the Silversea Wind for a Caribbean cruise in November.

Can someone help me with the typical age and type of passengers. A colleague is telling me that I will be the youngest passenger on board??? My husband and I are in our early fifties.

Also any comments on the ship, excursions etc I would really appreciate your help.

Dear all

Can you help.

I am considering booking the Silversea Wind for a Caribbean cruise in November.

Can someone help me with the typical age and type of passengers. A colleague is telling me that I will be the youngest passenger on board??? My husband and I are in our early fifties.

Also any comments on the ship, excursions etc I would really appreciate your help.

You won't be the youngest but certainly not the oldest. Based on our six Silversea cruises and totally unscientific observation I'd say Silversea doesn't attract the youngest or the oldest demographic. Early 50's would not be the youngest but certainly not the oldest. My wife is in her mid 50's and me in my 60's and we seem to fit in quite well. My guess is the average age is early to mid sixties.

We love the Wind. We were on her last March in the Caribbean and it was great. After 17 years of cruising on much larger mass market cruise line ships we took our first Silversea cruise on the Wind. Five years later we've been in the Wind five times and the Spirit once. If you're looking for a big sweeping atriums with marble stairs you're going to be disappointed. If you like a more confortabke country club feeling then you'll do fine. We've had nothing but great service from a friendly staff. We've met some interesting and friendly people on our cruises and a couple we met on the Wind in the Med four years ago are now are best friends. Food is subjective but we've had good to excellent dinners with just a few exceptions.

I can't really comment much about excursions in the Caribbean. On our last cruise we only took a snorkeling tour offered by the ship and it was good. We've taken a number of Silversea tours in Europe and with maybe one exception all have been good to excellent. One of the things I like is Silversea always, at least on every tour we've taken, sends a ship member. To us it shows they care about their tours.

While the average chronological age may well be in the 60s I would guess that the average ''attitude'' age is a good 10 years less than that. From our experience Silversea passengers tend to have a bit more get up and go than one might expect - certainly they don't shuufle around wrapped in blankets looking for a nice cup of tea and a bun!

Necessarily the backgrounds of the passengers are many and varied which, if you like meeting interesting and varied people, is a great boon. And what you don't seem to get much of is the overtly aggressive type A personality who thinks everything revolves around them - maybe because most passengers have made their lot in life and have got past the pushy stage? One or two exceptions, of course, but in the main a good, happy, eloquent bunch of people enjoying life.

On both of our SS cruises, we found a wide range of ages and as earlier noted even the more senior passengers are very active. I also agree that the general attitude of SS passengers is gracious. Maybe we have been lucky but SS loyalists seem to understand that on a smaller ship you need to show some grace because you will very likely be unable to avoid anyone with whom you have a disagreement. I also like that there were no small children on either of our voyages. I love kids but we did an Oceana that had a large contingency of young children and they were not looked after by their parents. It was a big intrusion on our enjoyment.