Jewelry Shopping in St Thomas

Silc

Anyone out there who has done jewelry shopping on this island? What good deals did you find? Where did you find them? I'll be there on my birthday, and thought I'd buy myself something pretty!

Thanks!

Silc

Silc, the jewelry in St Thomas ranges from cheap costume starting at $1.99 to very high-end designer platinum/diamonds (Harry Winston, Tiffany's, Bulgari, etc), so if you could narrow your preferences a bit, we can be more specific.

The designer lines usually aren't discounted, because they have to follow strict guidelines to keep the right to carry them. However, you'll always save at least the sales tax, because there isn't a sales tax in the VI.

Prices are more flexible on non-designer jewelry. Cardow's gets voted as the Best Jewerly store almost every year, so if you're looking for precious jewelry, you might want to start there.

While I wish I could do Harry Winston and Tiffany's...unfotunately, the budget just won't allow for it. But a girl can dream! Not looking for costume stuff - leaning toward something with diamonds, but am pretty flexible in my needs, wants. Whatever it is I choose, I would like to stay around $500 or less.

Again, I appreciate everyones input.

Silc

I have purchased at both Cardow's and Little Switzerland. My husband bought me a beautiful new semi mount wedding ring at Little Switzerland this past February. Early appraisals look like it's US value is 2 - 1/2 times what we paid for it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy in either of these places.

Enjoy your special birthday!

Silc,

Go see Navine or Varsha at Grand Jewelers. They are absolutely wonderful people to deal with and will have no problem finding something for your budget. Some of our very good friends have been going down there on a regular basis for many years and they turned us onto them last year and after searching around at many stores we ended up back at Grand because of their friendliness and prices couldn't be beat. Their address is 7 Main St. in St. Thomas and I think you can check their website at grandjewelers.com. We'll be back in June for a week stay on the island and will definitely be stopping in to get my wife some more bling. ;)

Silc,

Go see Navine or Varsha at Grand Jewelers. They are absolutely wonderful people to deal with and will have no problem finding something for your budget. Some of our very good friends have been going down there on a regular basis for many years and they turned us onto them last year and after searching around at many stores we ended up back at Grand because of their friendliness and prices couldn't be beat. Their address is 7 Main St. in St. Thomas and I think you can check their website at grandjewelers.com. We'll be back in June for a week stay on the island and will definitely be stopping in to get my wife some more bling. ;)

I will definitely stop by and see them.

Silc

We liked Boolchands. I got a 1 ctw princess cut diamond chanel set wedding band ring. I bought it for $800 and got home and had it appraised. It appraised here for $2300. We bought it late in the day in St Thomas and took it to the Boolchands next day in St Martin for resize. We dropped it off in the am and picked it up on the way back to the ship. I love it! Husband also bought a camera at St Thomas Boolchands.

On our February cruise, my sisters found lovely rings (one diamond and one saphire and diamond) at Ajanta Jewelers (Drakes Passage). They were each provided an appraisal certificate as well. As I recall the diamond that my one sister purchased was $500.00. Both are extremely pleased with their purchases and I think they would definitely go back. Husband purchased a watch for 50% of what it retails for here.

Hello!

Back in the day silver was sought after on St. Thomas because the prices were so inexpensive - is this still the case or have silver prices in the US dropped so that's not as attractive?

Hello!

Back in the day silver was sought after on St. Thomas because the prices were so inexpensive - is this still the case or have silver prices in the US dropped so that's not as attractive?

I'm not sure which day you're referring to, but silver prices worldwide have more than doubled in the past two years; I suspect silver prices in St. Thomas are not as attractive as you remember. ;)

• 8 years later...

I have stopped into a few of the jewelry shops in the area but the best one by far was Ajanta Jewelers. Great customer service and the most beautiful selection of jewelry. I would recommend Ajanta Jewelers over the other jewelry stores because it was a great experience from the moment we walked in and I left with the most gorgeous ruby earrings. :)

Edited by LeeM