Stay on the ship or?

Podie

My friends and I have decided we don't want to do any tours in Panama. Because we will be docked in March for 10 hours, I was wondering if there's anything right outside the port to visit? I think the Equinox will dock at Colon 2000 pier?

There is a shopping mall that is connected to the Colon 2000 facility and is safe to wander around in. Doing anything more than that just is not a good idea. Even though lots of good things are happening in Panama with the Canal expansion and Colon Free Zone doing a land office business... it's all passed Colon by. While there is nothing inherently unsafe about going on a tour with a group or even engaging a taxi for a private tour, Colon is not the place to head out on your own.

If you want to get a feel for Colon, get the James Bond movie Quantum of Solace. The first part of the movie that is supposed to be in Port au Prince, Haiti was actually filmed in Colon. I would not consider that to a great endorsement if your city can play the stunt double of Port au Prince:eek:!

Whey not give another thought to taking a tour... you could take in Gatun Locks and visit the construction site and visitor's center of the new expansion locks all on the Atlantic side. A tour like this would not be a huge investment in time and let you see something besides Colon.

Edited by BillB48

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly won't occupy you for 10 hours, but as mentioned the adjacent shopping at the dock has some interesting stuff. They are more local shops, as opposed to most of the "out of the box" shopping areas in many ports.

Other than that, enjoy the less crowded ship.

The safety issues mentioned by BillB48 should be taken very seriously. This is NOT a nice area, and it will be evident very quickly that you should not be wandering around.

Edited by MermaidWatcher

We were just there last week and did a tour with My Friend Mario from Colon to see the Gatun Locks visitor center, San Lorenzo fort, and rainforest. Overall, it was a good tour and very reasonable at $60 per person for 6 hours.

At the beginning of the tour, we drove through the center of Colon so that our guide could buy some fruit for snacks. Colon is NOT a place to wander around... trash everywhere, very sketchy looking individuals, etc. It actually reminded me of some of the bad areas in Lagos (Nigeria) with even more trash.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for asking - we were wondering the same thing for our Equinox cruise in March. I've booked excursions for 4 out of our 6 ports and have done nothing for Colombia and Panama. My husband doesn't want me to run him ragged with excursions at every port but I don't want to stay on the ship either. Do I wing it at another port and book something in Panama? Are there the usual taxi/tour operators waiting at the port that we could jump on at the last minute or is this a port that really needs to be booked in advance?

Thanks for asking - we were wondering the same thing for our Equinox cruise in March. I've booked excursions for 4 out of our 6 ports and have done nothing for Colombia and Panama. My husband doesn't want me to run him ragged with excursions at every port but I don't want to stay on the ship either. Do I wing it at another port and book something in Panama? Are there the usual taxi/tour operators waiting at the port that we could jump on at the last minute or is this a port that really needs to be booked in advance?

Since you are on the Equinox docking in Colon, there are taxis available at the pier. Arranging a last minute tour should not be a problem. The only thing I would suggest is make sure your cabby's English skills are OK before you head out. Even though English is widely spoken I have run into a few cabbies there where my Spanish was better than their English:eek:!!

Coming to Panama and just staying on the ship would be like going to Venice, New York, Boston, Southampton, Pireaus or Civitaveccia and just staying on the ship! You've come all this way ... why not see some of the country you've visitig????

Regards, Richard

I think that's the point of this post- we are looking for non-excursion suggestions that are near the port or originating from the port. As someone who clearly has experience in Panama, maybe it would be more constructive to offer some advice?

Since you are on the Equinox docking in Colon, there are taxis available at the pier. Arranging a last minute tour should not be a problem. The only thing I would suggest is make sure your cabby's English skills are OK before you head out. Even though English is widely spoken I have run into a few cabbies there where my Spanish was better than their English:eek:!!

Thank you! I am a little intimidated by Panama and would take an excursion but as I said, my husband doesn't want every single minute planned (which I understand). But not having something planned still requires quite a bit of research and Colon doesn't seem like the sort of place where you can take a cab to the beach for the day... or is it?

Edited by Sushiqueen43

I think that's the point of this post- we are looking for non-excursion suggestions that are near the port or originating from the port. As someone who clearly has experience in Panama, maybe it would be more constructive to offer some advice?

With all due respect, I think you will find scores of suggestions if you take the time to browse through this board. You will find that a) there is really nothing to do in Colon; b) Colon is not a safe city to walk around in; c) The interesting things are quite a way from Colon and Home Port. There are independent operators but you want "non-excursions", not sure what that means, If you're thinking of renting a car, forget it. Other than hiring a cab for the day . . . is that a "non-excursion"??

Regards. Richard

Thank you! I am a little intimidated by Panama and would take an excursion but as I said, my husband doesn't want every single minute planned (which I understand). But not having something planned still requires quite a bit of research and Colon doesn't seem like the sort of place where you can take a cab to the beach for the day... or is it?

Jumping in a cab for a less "intensive" look a round is certainly doable, however a day at a nearby beach probably not your best choice IMO. Decent swimming beaches are not close at hand and those beaches that are in a reasonable driving distance are on the underdeveloped side. By that I mean they really are not the real nice resorts that you have become accustomed to in many of the other Caribbean ports of call. A suggestion would be to get a cab and take in Gatun Locks, you can watch the operation, there normally someone there to provide narration, look at the equipment displays. The locks would be about a 20 minute cab ride and you could spend as much time there as you wish. On the way you could also take in the construction site of the new Atlantic Locks the are being built as part of the Canal expansion. They have a visitor's center, (which is new since I last visited) which will give you a great vantage point to view the project. The new locks are about 70% complete so there is just more than a big hole in the ground.

Panama as a whole is safe and taking an organized tour or a cab to a destination is not something to have any real concern about. Most people will tell you Colon is not the place to set out on a walking tour by yourself... that advice is valid. The shopping mall that is connected to the pier is certainly fine to arrange for a cab and browse around.

There are independent operators but you want "non-excursions", not sure what that means, If you're thinking of renting a car, forget it. Other than hiring a cab for the day . . . is that a "non-excursion"??

Right - when we aren't arranging an excursion either through the ship or beforehand with a private operator, I am calling that a non-excursion port. For instance, when we were in St Kitts last year, we had a cab take us to a great beach where we relaxed all day. In St Thomas, we found an open air jeep to drive us around the island and point out all of the highlights - neither were arranged in advance. Having never been to Colon, I don't know if this is feasible or not.

There are scores of suggestions on this board regarding excursions and if that's the direction we go, I know I can find information there. There is not a lot of information on what's available if you decide not to book something in advance. Part of my decision involves whether we should cancel an excursion at another port and go on one here instead. We don't want to be on excursions at every single port.

Jumping in a cab for a less "intensive" look a round is certainly doable, however a day at a nearby beach probably not your best choice IMO. Decent swimming beaches are not close at hand and those beaches that are in a reasonable driving distance are on the underdeveloped side. By that I mean they really are not the real nice resorts that you have become accustomed to in many of the other Caribbean ports of call. A suggestion would be to get a cab and take in Gatun Locks, you can watch the operation, there normally someone there to provide narration, look at the equipment displays. The locks would be about a 20 minute cab ride and you could spend as much time there as you wish. On the way you could also take in the construction site of the new Atlantic Locks the are being built as part of the Canal expansion. They have a visitor's center, (which is new since I last visited) which will give you a great vantage point to view the project. The new locks are about 70% complete so there is just more than a big hole in the ground.

Thank you so much - this is the type of information I'm looking for. We may just end up taking an excursion but at least I know of an option at port. I don't like arriving without at least some sort of plan!

With all due respect, I think you will find scores of suggestions if you take the time to browse through this board. You will find that a) there is really nothing to do in Colon; b) Colon is not a safe city to walk around in; c) The interesting things are quite a way from Colon and Home Port. There are independent operators but you want "non-excursions", not sure what that means, If you're thinking of renting a car, forget it. Other than hiring a cab for the day . . . is that a "non-excursion"??

Regards. Richard

Agree with your conclusions on this.

Also, forget any thoughts of going to a beach.

In this port it is way easier to take something offered by your cruise line.

LuLu

~~~

My friends and I have decided we don't want to do any tours in Panama. Because we will be docked in March for 10 hours, I was wondering if there's anything right outside the port to visit? I think the Equinox will dock at Colon 2000 pier?

OMG don't stay on ship in Panama:confused:! skip other ports but book excursion for Embera village or Panama canal .

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the boat with Sushi and plan on doing a cab to Gatun locks as well. we will be traveling with our three and six year old sons.

I had a couple questions about getting a cab and hope someone might be able to help me. How much should we expect a cab to be? Will they take us and wait or come back when we want? Or do we pay one way and grab another cab to get back.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh, Figure about $25-35 an hour for the cab. Just work something out with the cab driver. He'll probably be happy to wait for you. Just arrange before you hop in the cab and, naturally, you don't pay anything until you are back at the ship. Official cabs in Panama are yellow with checkered stripe on the side, but there are also some independents. With your kids I'd stick with a yellow cab. Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

Just the standard disclaimer... I have not used either, just a place to start.

Do a search on the Canal forum here for robtads, his email addy should be pretty easy to find. Another would be My Friend Mario... Most responses from other posters have been positive.

Thanks BillB48. I sent an email to robtads several days ago and have not gotten an answer yet.

As to My Friend Mario, according to the research I have done, he is not very reliable. Lots of no shows with him. I am a bit apprehensive about him after reading all those reviews.

Anyone had any experience with him lately?