Eurodam vs Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska

Tananda

I have booked the 5/19/18 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise from Vancouver, but now I am debating on whether I should book the same date in the Eurodam. The flights are much more reasonable and I can get a Neptune on Eurodam with Explore 4 for the same rate as a Neptune on Nieuw Amsterdam without Explore 4. DH and I have visited Alaska twice for two weeks each for land vacations but have never cruised Alaska. So I just don't know which is better for us. What are your opinions? Maybe that can help me make up my mind. I appreciate everyone's time!

-Tananda

If you're going to fly the day before the cruise (HIGHLY recommended) you can readily fly to Seattle and get a transfer pretty inexpensively to Vancouver, although it would be a very long day transferring back to Seattle and flying home, long enough so I'd be inclined to stay overnight in Seattle on the way back.

The itineraries and quite different and I think part of the recommendation would be based on what you've done on your land trips. The Nieuw Amsterdam visits Skagway while the Eurodam goes to Victoria and Sitka all very nice places that you likely didn't see on your land trips.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is sort of a mini-B2B, although the segments are not sold individually; only as part of land tours. The difference this makes for you is that the first segment does not visit glaciers directly, but a tour is offered transferring to a small boat for glacier viewing at Tracy or Endicott Arm (depending on ice conditions) giving a second opportunity for glacier viewing.

The other nice thing about the Nieuw Amsterdam is that it sails each way through the very scenic Inside Passage while the Eurodam goes outside Vancouver island and it's just an ordinary sea day.

Roy

Thanks, Roy! Our land trips both focused on south and southcentral Alaska. I will certainly miss Homer and Denali, my two favorite places. I am anxious to see Burchart Gardens in Victoria and would have to do a side trip there if cruising from Vancouver. We plan to fly in a couple of days early to explore the home port city. I guess I mainly am looking at Skagway versus Sitka and the Inside Passage both ways versus one.

I am beginning to lean towards Eurodam for the direct flights and only one travel day each way. But am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I have booked the 5/19/18 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise from Vancouver, but now I am debating on whether I should book the same date in the Eurodam. The flights are much more reasonable and I can get a Neptune on Eurodam with Explore 4 for the same rate as a Neptune on Nieuw Amsterdam without Explore 4. DH and I have visited Alaska twice for two weeks each for land vacations but have never cruised Alaska. So I just don't know which is better for us. What are your opinions? Maybe that can help me make up my mind. I appreciate everyone's time!

-Tananda

I think both are wonderful options. We had a similar decision to make for this summer and decided on the Nieuw Amsterdam based on friends' recommendations. We did the Nieuw Amsterdam out of Vancouver this July although we flew to/from Seattle because we could get direct flights with frequent flier miles. We really liked the ship itself and the itinerary. We flew into Seattle, rented a car and spent a few days in the Olympic Peninsula exploring the beautiful national park areas before heading up to Vancouver. We took a ferry (with the rental car) to Victoria and then continued our travels with another ferry to Vancouver. The whole thing was less complicated than expected and very scenic. We enjoyed Victoria (we spent a few hours at the garden and did the high tea which was lovely) but we were blown away by Alaska and would probably be more inclined to recommend a cruise that spent more time in Alaska and skipped Victoria. I thought Victoria was pretty and I'm glad we went but I wouldn't return. All of the 3 Alaska ports on our cruise had excellent excursions available and the Glacier Bay viewing day was a favorite.

Our travel agent mentioned that he had done the HAL coach transfer himself between Seattle and Vancouver and found it comfortable and reasonably priced (around $65 I think). We opted for the rental car because of the places we wanted to explore but the coach may be something you want to consider if you decide on the NA but prefer to fly into Seattle. The Amtrak train is another good option but the bus would be easier as everything is coordinated by HAL for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you to everyone for your responses. We are going to move to the Seattle sailing on the Eurodam. The direct flights make me so much more comfortable. It sounds like overall, there are no bad choices for cruising Alaska.