Airline selection to Australia?

RMS Olympic

I am planning a cruise sailing from Sydney to Auckland in late 2017 or early 2018. Ship schedules are suppose to be available by next month.

Flying from Tampa to Sydney and then Auckland back to Tampa.

I would like to get recommendations on which airline to select realizing multiple stops will be involved.

Choices: Virgin Australia, Quantas and Air New Zealand.

Air NZ could be via Houston or LAX

Quantas would be via LAX

Virgin probably via LAX

Service level: either premium economy both ways or if allowable business class outbound and premium economy on the return.

Virgin has had some less than great reviews.

Air NZ supposedly has the top premium economy depending upon aircraft. Looks like a 777-200ER out of Houston and a 777-300 out of LAX. The 777-300 has those new space seats.

Its a long flight regardless, but if there is a clear winner, I would appreciate comments, recommendations or suggestions.

New Zealand...the next item on the bucket list.......all those sheep farmers BAAAAAAAAAAAAA.:D

Happy New Year to all.

Tom

Sounds like Air NZ might be the best choice. I found a you tube video on the best 10 airlines for premium economy....Qantas was #4, Air NZ was #1.

I flew to Sydney a number of years back for Mardi Gras and flew out of LAX on Qantas in business class in a 747 .....it was comfy.

I figure on this flight I might go over in business class so I can try to sleep; the return during daylight hours and being awake could be premium economy. Regardless its a long flight.

My cruise choice was either a Papua New Guinea cruise out of Brisbane or a New Zealand cruise out of Sydney.......NZ looks like it will win if I can find a 12 night cruise.

I was going to sail with Princess (I am what I sail on:D, but now seriously considering NCL. NCL means casual clothes and perhaps a more fun atmosphere onboard.

NCL Star which is doing the route in 2017 is suppose to do it again in early 2018....schedule will be out in the next month. NCL told me the next ship (Bliss) will also do some cruises to NZ, so that would be another option.

If there are any suggestions beyond flying that would enhance the overall trip, please advise. Its a long trip so I want to make the best of my time and money.

The cruise addiction continues!

Tom

I agree with the recommendations for Air NZ.

I have flown premium economy with them twice to London and once to Auckland (all from LAX).

Their premium economy is more like business class on other carriers.

Glenn

I did Sydney to Auckland 2 years ago.

I ended up booking one-way tickets from LA to Sydney on Qantas and Auckland to LA on Air New Zealand. I ended up paying about $300 more that way, but the flight times worked our perfect that way so the extra expense was worth it to me. Both airlines are great. And being 6'6' I found the accommodations on board comfortable for the looooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggg flight.

I also I booked an AA round trip Flight to LA from Miami (home)

Hobie, you sure are cruising! WOW!

I think Air NZ will be my choice if I do book the cruise....currently awaiting late 2017 early 2018 schedules.

Cruiseboy....how did you like your NZ cruise? I see you did it in January....on Solstice. Did you sail with Pied Piper who do this cruise annually?

How was the weather and any suggestions on clothing? Is it cold in the southern island of NZ?

Any suggestions on cruising this route would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning a cruise sailing from Sydney to Auckland in late 2017 or early 2018. Ship schedules are suppose to be available by next month.

Flying from Tampa to Sydney and then Auckland back to Tampa.

I would like to get recommendations on which airline to select realizing multiple stops will be involved.

Choices: Virgin Australia, Quantas and Air New Zealand.

Air NZ could be via Houston or LAX

Quantas would be via LAX

Virgin probably via LAX

Service level: either premium economy both ways or if allowable business class outbound and premium economy on the return.

Virgin has had some less than great reviews.

Air NZ supposedly has the top premium economy depending upon aircraft. Looks like a 777-200ER out of Houston and a 777-300 out of LAX. The 777-300 has those new space seats.

Its a long flight regardless, but if there is a clear winner, I would appreciate comments, recommendations or suggestions.

New Zealand...the next item on the bucket list.......all those sheep farmers BAAAAAAAAAAAAA.:D

Happy New Year to all.

Tom

Sorry for the late addition. I know some folks who work for Qantas and shared a bit of information that many people do not know about the Qantas flight from DFW>>>SYD using the A380 aircraft. Because the westbound flight is traditionally weight restricted, the aircraft is not sold to capacity and will normally go out with 100 or so empty seats. On departure day, Qantas will then offer, for a fee, a guarantee to block off seats near you for better comfort (not sure if they do this in premium economy). Also, the flight crews for the A380 are under a separate labor agreement from the legacy Qantas employees resulting in a better inflight service experience. I have a friend who travels between Sydney and the states several times a year and prefers the A380 product/service over other Qantas flights. He raves about the premium economy on Qantas A380 vs the B747-400.

p.s. Bring one of those sheep farmers back for me...hehe

Thanks for the insider info on Qantas concerning the A380. I may see if the cruise line will offer a good price on using Qantas outbound and Air NZ on the return.

As for bringing you a sheep farmer of your own...that depends. If, the Kiwis are as good looking as the Aussies..........then forget it. MINE....ALL MINE.

I remember when I flew into Sydney for Mardi Gras and entered the customs area all the desks were manned by the most beautiful men. I looked at all of them and remarked boy do I like this country! The responded back with a big smile.....another poof! What a wonderful way to finish off a 14 hour flight.

Now if I could only get to shear a sheep farmer.......I like e'm buzzed!

Now to decide the cruise line.......NCL, Princess, HAL all seem to offer the 12 night route from Sydney to Auckland. The size of ship might dictate the selection as I don't want to have to deal with huge numbers of passengers getting off for excursions.

also want to get to Tasmania to see a Devil........I still have a thing for the cartoon character Taz:D

Cruiseboy305...at 6'6", it should be CruiseMAN!:p I like your idea of multiple air carriers.

Planning trips is something I really enjoy.......adds to the anticipation;)

Thanks