Watching planes land right overhead??!!

Romy40

Where is this? How far from where the cruise ships dock? Take a taxi there? Or? Are there planes landing regularly?

You're talking about Maho Beach. I'd say its about a 20 min taxi ride from the Carnival port (I was on the Carnival Valor). There is a schedule posted at the bar of the incoming planes that you can also find online. If you start to check a few weeks before you're cruise you can get an idea on what comes in when. The larger planes seem to come in more in the afternoon.

I went there this past January and thought it was a great way to spend our last cruise day. I'm actually booked on the Valor for November 2015 and plan on going back to Maho.

Here is a pic from my day there. Yes you are that close to the planes.

1960084_10203222404623976_714210462_n.jpg

Where is this? How far from where the cruise ships dock? Take a taxi there? Or? Are there planes landing regularly?

Yeah, it's pretty cool! :D

Taxi there taxi back pretty easy to do. Like the others said, plan extra time to get back. There are small planes very regularly in between the big ones. People do swim in the beach there, but the surf has been rough the times we are there. The Sunset bar has a schedule and the food there looks amazing!! We didn't eat it, but had to watch everyone else.

Go to the Sonesta Maho beach resort....Planes land right there. For $65..unlimited drinks, food, swim up bar, beach with landing planes. We loved it. Take a taxi, to the resort....when its time to leave,,,so many taxis out front. Highly recommend it. It was the best day of the cruise! Even if you don't want to pay the $65....its a great place to catch your cabs....right close to the planes!

• 8 months later...
Go to the Sonesta Maho beach resort....Planes land right there. For $65..unlimited drinks, food, swim up bar, beach with landing planes. We loved it. Take a taxi, to the resort....when its time to leave,,,so many taxis out front. Highly recommend it. It was the best day of the cruise! Even if you don't want to pay the $65....its a great place to catch your cabs....right close to the planes!

How is the view of the planes taking off and landing from here?

• 3 months later...

We used the hotels pool and ate lunch with unlimited drinks...then walked up the beach for 2-5mins and you are right at the end of the runway. We sat on a little fence and the planes were right over head. It was fantastic...especially when the jumbo jets land. Also..right behind where we were sitting is a fence, some people like to hold on to the fence to get blasted by the planes that are taking off, a little crazy, but funny. There is a big chalk board there was arrival times so you wont waste time waiting.. Was such a great day!

I called Sonesta this evening and they said that day passes at the Maho Beach Resort are $89 per person, and day passes at their Ocean Point Resort are $109. The pass is good from 9am to 5pm, and you need to bring your ID or passport. They said to call the day before you arrive to make sure the resort won't be at full occupancy.

I was definitely considering getting a day pass for $65, but I'm not sure if $89 is worth it....

I called Sonesta this evening and they said that day passes at the Maho Beach Resort are $89 per person, and day passes at their Ocean Point Resort are $109. The pass is good from 9am to 5pm, and you need to bring your ID or passport. They said to call the day before you arrive to make sure the resort won't be at full occupancy.

I was definitely considering getting a day pass for $65, but I'm not sure if $89 is worth it....

Chair rentals are $20 for 2 and an umbrella. Lunch is no more than $40 for 2. That's only $60 leaving leaving you $158 to cover drinks for 2 and the fact that you don't have a pool. It's a pretty popular and busy resort so I am not even sure if there would be a guarantee that you would even get a chair with an umbrella at the pool or beach.