Esperance, Australia

2morrow

I have another question for Esperance. We have rented a car for the day from Avis downtown. Where does the ship tender, how do we get to Avis, and is it walkable? If not walkable, suggestions on how to get to town. Thanks for the help. We will be on the Solstice next February.

Pearl

You will need a car to get to Lucky Bay, approx 100 km roundtrip from Esperance.

No real facilities as such, a bit of a campground. Some details here from the visit Esperance site.

National Parks

CAPE LE GRAND NATIONAL PARK

Located approximately 50 km East of Esperance, Cape Le Grand is one of Western Australias best known and most spectacular National Parks.

Pristine and perfect are two words that reflect the absolute beauty of Lucky Bay. Here you will find an ocean coloured all imaginable shades of blue, sand so white and fine it squeaks between your toes and the extraordinary sight of kangaroos sunbathing on the beach - just incredible!

Matthew Flinders spent a few days here back in 1802 and its easy to see why - stop for a moment to take in its breathtaking beauty or stay a little longer at the Lucky Bay campsite that comes complete with solar hot showers. Just imagine waking up to crystal clear water, snow white sand and a kangaroo for company.

Entry fees can be paid at the park's entrance and the Ranger will collect camping fees from you direct. You can camp at either Lucky Bay or Cape Le Grand Beach. Facilities include tank water, septic toilets, solar heated showers, camp kitchens and barbecues. No power/No shops/No fuel. No bookings for camping, it's 1st in 1st served.

Walks:

Frenchmans Peak - 3km return. A track leads from the car park, up the gentle east slope of the peak, to the summit. Features great views over the Park. Allow 1.5 hours hard walking.

Coastal Track - 15 km one way. The track runs from Cape Le Grand Beach via Hellfire Bay to Rossiter Bay, and features excellent coastal views. Always carry drinking water with you.

Re Avis car hire.

I do not know where the ships tender but I would imagine it would be close to the main town area. Avis have an office on The Esplanade, pretty central, I would imagine you can walk to it. Email Avis and ask them, they hopefully will have some sort of idea,

Thank you for all suggestions. I could not find a contact for the Avis in Esperance only the main one for Australia. But, the Esperance tourist office did tell me that ships will tender on the Esplanade and will be either a 5 or a 15 minute walk. Now I can check this off the list.

Pearl

Thank you for all suggestions. I could not find a contact for the Avis in Esperance only the main one for Australia. But, the Esperance tourist office did tell me that ships will tender on the Esplanade and will be either a 5 or a 15 minute walk. Now I can check this off the list.

Pearl

Hello Pearl,

We were there in March and had a great tour of Esperance that i organised through the roll call via Tourism Esperance. Other roll calls for the upcoming season are also doing this. The ship tenders in the Bay off Esperance. Tender takes about 15-20 minutes and there was a free shuttle bus into town operating constantly.

• 1 month later...
Hello Pearl,

We were there in March and had a great tour of Esperance that i organised through the roll call via Tourism Esperance. Other roll calls for the upcoming season are also doing this. The ship tenders in the Bay off Esperance. Tender takes about 15-20 minutes and there was a free shuttle bus into town operating constantly.

Just wondering if you could share a description of the tour and contact information for the tour that you organized in Esperance.

Thanks much.

Just wondering if you could share a description of the tour and contact information for the tour that you organized in Esperance.

Thanks much.

The Esperance Tour is 4.5hrs with 10.30am pickup from tender drop off. This is a copy of ouir roll call blurb.

Tour the Great Ocean Drive to Twilight Beach – voted Australia’s best beach. Stop at Rotary Lookout for 360 deg views of Esperance and the Recherche Archipelago.

Then visit Section Glass Gallery near the Pink Lake.

Tour through rugged farmland to Cape Le Grand National Park and stop at Hellfire Bay & Lucky Bay with the squeakiest, whitest sand and crystal clear aqua water together with resident kangaroos!!

Return via the newly opened and exact replica of the original Stonehenge and aligned to the southern solstice (talk given).

Drop off at the Pier Hotel on the Esplanade or Shuttle Bus departure point.

Time after tour for shopping/visit local museum – see Skylab remains, stroll around town or relax at the Pier Hotel, do your own thing etc.

The Departure time is 10.30 a.m. from shuttle bus drop off point in Esperance.

Tour conducted by Tourism Esperance.

For confidentiallity, please email me at boatshcgatbigponddotcom for the contact person name and email address.

The Radiance roll call of 28 Oct is using a 24 seater at $75pp. They also have added another stop but we found the above to be ample and actually cut out the Glass Gallery. We terminated the tour outdside the excellent Esperance Museum and then took the shuttle bus from there back to the ship later. It's a great tour.

• 2 years later...
I have another question for Esperance. We have rented a car for the day from Avis downtown. Where does the ship tender, how do we get to Avis, and is it walkable? If not walkable, suggestions on how to get to town. Thanks for the help. We will be on the Solstice next February.

Pearl

I know this is an old post so I'm not sure if you will see my question. We're in Esperance next month and renting a car from Avis. How was your experience? Was it easy to get from the tender port to Avis? Any other idea/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks...:)

I know this is an old post so I'm not sure if you will see my question. We're in Esperance next month and renting a car from Avis. How was your experience? Was it easy to get from the tender port to Avis? Any other idea/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks...:)

From the Avis website they are at 63 The Esplanade, which appears to be only a 5 minute walk from the tender wharf.

http://www.avis.com.au/car-rental/html/Landing/sem/au/wa/esperance/ea4.html