May 1st - better to do a ships' tour or on own?

dons_shopper

We will be in port from 1PM to 11PM and would like to see some of the island plus snorkel. What would be the best way? Is it advisable to leave the port and do a tour with a local company without making a reservation in advance?

(No jeep for us). Which company? Just do not find a tour ( sunny is not available) so far. Shall we just disembark and look for a tour or take a cab?

Just can't decide. HELP.PLEASE!

Thank you for advise!

Depends what you want to do/see....and how much research you do beforehand! Most things are easy to do on your own, if you know something about where you're going! Get a guidebook at your library, read it, and THEN make the decision!

Depends what you want to do/see....and how much research you do beforehand! Most things are easy to do on your own, if you know something about where you're going! Get a guidebook at your library, read it, and THEN make the decision!

Sorry, have to tell you that your answer did not help.

I did write that we would like to see some of the island and want to snorkel.

I did read a guide book. But I am asking here at CC because people here can tell me about there experiences , e.g. if a tour company was reliable, if the tour was really good. - things a guidebook don't know and say. Or if it is safe to explore the island on own. If local companies will offer tours on this holiday.

So I am still hoping for answers one usually get here on CC: helpful and informative.

• 2 weeks later...

first of all, wow, people are being helpful

we never do tours through the cruise lines any longer, I go to the forums of CC, which are extremely helpful to me. I usually pick the tours that have the most favorable comments.

Last year in Aruba, we did the trike tour (excellent!) and then met my sister at the beach afterwards. Next year when we go back, we plan to just do a day at the beach... trying to keep the funds a little less for excursions due to it being a 14 night cruise

have fun no matter what you do!

Nina from Baltimore

During a two hour tour you can see the highlights of the island.

California Dunes & Lighthouse

Alto Vista Chapel

Bushiribana Gold Mill Ruins

Baby natural bridge

Arikok National Park

Picturesque beaches, no swimming on the windward side

Rock Formations including Indian paintings

Palm Beach & Eagle Beaches.

For a private tour I suggest Bully

Questions on Bully Tours in Aruba??

Recommendations for indepenent tour companies

Independent tour operators

wix tours

sightseeing tours? Tours available in the port ATOA

Associated Tour Operators of Aruba

2-to-3 hour tour suggestions?

Best Private tours?

Private tour guide

Private tours in Aruba

The more specific you can be the more I can assist you.

We will be in port from 1PM to 11PM and would like to see some of the island plus snorkel. What would be the best way? Is it advisable to leave the port and do a tour with a local company without making a reservation in advance?

(No jeep for us). Which company? Just do not find a tour ( sunny is not available) so far. Shall we just disembark and look for a tour or take a cab?

Thank you for advise!

Hi, Carol here.

I think Jack and I will just get off the ship and find a tour guide. It has always worked for us in the past. It is a strange time frame, How many folks in your group? We are just 2, maybe we can share a guide with van.

Thank you for advise!

i'm on the same cruise as you.....when we are in port on may 1 they will be celebrating a holiday, Labor day......from what I understand, some places will be closed as this is a major holiday for them......as for an excursion, I am doing a ships excursion which has snorkling, beach time and lunch....The name of the excursion is " Antilla Wreck Snorkle and Beach getaway"....here is a description......

Sail on a catamaran, that's been specifically designed and built for day cruises and snorkeling. It also features comfortable ladders to provide you with easy access to the water. You'll see Aruba's beautiful beaches and resort hotels while relaxing on the open decks. The catamaran anchors at the West point of the island for swimming and snorkeling in the crystal clear water where tropical fish may be seen. After a 50 minute stop at the famous Antilla shipwreck, a German WWII freighter that is home to a variety of colorful, tropical fish, you'll sail to the Pelican Marina to experience Aruba's most famous Palm Beach.

Here on this white sandy beach, you'll be pampered by crew members serving unlimited drinks. This is a unique opportunity to relax on a beach lounge chair or to take a walk on our famous Palm Beach. The more adventurous can try one of the many water-sports activities available for their recreation. The pier offers Aruba's best and only Seafood Restaurant and Bar located on the water. Your hosts will provide a guided narrated tour of sights along the way. Snorkel equipment and instruction are provided and we recommend that participants wear swim attire and bring a beach towel.

i'm on the same cruise as you.....when we are in port on may 1 they will be celebrating a holiday, Labor day......from what I understand, some places will be closed as this is a major holiday for them......as for an excursion, I am doing a ships excursion which has snorkling, beach time and lunch....The name of the excursion is " Antilla Wreck Snorkle and Beach getaway"....here is a description......

Sail on a catamaran, that's been specifically designed and built for day cruises and snorkeling. It also features comfortable ladders to provide you with easy access to the water. You'll see Aruba's beautiful beaches and resort hotels while relaxing on the open decks. The catamaran anchors at the West point of the island for swimming and snorkeling in the crystal clear water where tropical fish may be seen. After a 50 minute stop at the famous Antilla shipwreck, a German WWII freighter that is home to a variety of colorful, tropical fish, you'll sail to the Pelican Marina to experience Aruba's most famous Palm Beach.

Here on this white sandy beach, you'll be pampered by crew members serving unlimited drinks. This is a unique opportunity to relax on a beach lounge chair or to take a walk on our famous Palm Beach. The more adventurous can try one of the many water-sports activities available for their recreation. The pier offers Aruba's best and only Seafood Restaurant and Bar located on the water. Your hosts will provide a guided narrated tour of sights along the way. Snorkel equipment and instruction are provided and we recommend that participants wear swim attire and bring a beach towel.

Thank you for your help. At the moment I feel like not making any reservations but I will keep this on mind. Snorkel and drinks afterwords - sounds good. I am just always worried a bit about snorkel and ship's tours: Might have more people than fish then.:o

Thank those of you who posted some real helpful answers!

It is not your fault that havn't decided anything yet:D.

May first is a holiday, but I havn't found anythng about a big music festival. Read that all shops will be closed.

I guess we will walk of the ship and find a tour there. Sounds as if Aruba is safe enough to do so!?

Isn't there a big music festival in Aruba on May 1? Like from 6 till 11 PM? SO if your ship is there late lil sours will be movement could be limited.

The only music festival I know of is the soul beach festival that starts on May 21st. There certainly could be one that I haven't heard of, but the major one is the soul beach festival that attracts a lot of music artists and big crowds.

Thank those of you who posted some real helpful answers!

It is not your fault that havn't decided anything yet:D.

May first is a holiday, but I havn't found anythng about a big music festival. Read that all shops will be closed.

I guess we will walk of the ship and find a tour there. Sounds as if Aruba is safe enough to do so!?

We find that Aruba is very safe, compared to other islands. The only problem that you may run into is that there might not be as many tour operators waiting around to pick up cruisers that day, since it is a holiday. Some of the independent ones will probably be taking the day off to be with their families, but I'm sure that some of them will be working. You will probably be able to find some of the bus tours available.

Isn't there a big music festival in Aruba on May 1? Like from 6 till 11 PM? SO if your ship is there late lil sours will be movement could be limited.

Here is some info on a music festival that takes place every thurs from 6pm-10pm

San Nicolas Aruba

12° 25' 59.682" N, 69° 54' 29.1924" W

Phone: +297-582-3777

Aruba’s Cultural & Carnival experience every week of the year!

Most visitors don’t have the opportunity to experience Aruba’s cultural highlight of the year – Carnival (or, as we call it here, Carnaval). But now you can discover the colorful spirit of Aruba’s Carnival and island culture every Thursday evening at the Carrubian Festival. Situated on the island’s southern tip in the heart of San Nicolas, the Carrubian Festival brings Aruba’s culture to life with live music and shows, stilt walkers, handicrafts, delicious, traditional homemade cuisine of the Caribbean region, and a parade of glittery dancers showcasing many of our past Carnival’s gorgeous costumes. The center of activities is a stage area where spectators can relax at tables to enjoy a diversity of Caribbean cuisines and a parade of local entertainers. The main street is closed to traffic becoming a pedestrian mall filled with colorful booths selling local food, handicrafts and logo souvenirs, with fun activities for the entire family.

The Carubbian Festival inaugurated in June 2011 takes place in San Nicolas Every Thursday night from 6 pm – 10 pm, showcasing the multi-cultural charms of Aruba’s “Sunrise City”. Tourists can purchase a package at their hotel including round-trip transportation.

We encourage you to spend an evening with the locals, and enjoy a taste of our culture at the Carubbian Festival. It’s also a great family or group activity!

The Carubbian Festival is held in San Nicolas which is no where near Oranjestad. It is at the southern end of the island a good 25 minutes from the cruise terminal. The "traffic" will be on the highway headed south from Oranjestad past the airport. There is usually traffic there, festival or no festival. ;)

Should not interfere with night time activities whatsoever.

The BIG music festival, like Hatteras stated, is the Soul Beach Festival which is always held on Memorial Day weekend. :) THEN downtown Oranjestad will be jammed and best avoided.