anything within walking distance of cruise port

oxmonkey

Just outside the dock area is a good-size shopping area with a mix of local stores and some food/bars. Beyond that, you get to the actual town, where there are shops and restaurants and a square/public park. There are a few churches in that area as well. I don't recall there being a beach within walking distance. Hopefully someone else can answer better about public transportation. Our guide on the island (Royston) told us there are usually vans that go from place to place around the island. I'm not sure if it's organized with set routes and times, but that's what the locals use.

The local public transportation consists of privately own vans. They pretty much travel the main island road only. There is no timetable that they follow. There are more buses running in the early mornings & late afternoons as they are used by commuters coming and going to work from the smaller towns to Basseterre.

• 4 weeks later...
Take a taxi (van) to either Cockleshell or South Friars Beach if you are interested in swimming. The good store that was located downtown is no longer there. There are plenty of shopping at the pier.

Curious of what store might be referring to. Was it the department type store - Cave Shepard? Just wondering as have been to downtown before,did photos and may just enjoy pier shops & a less full ship.

The store downtown was Island Hopper. They handled women's and men's clothing. It became hard to compete with the shops at Port Zante when they opened. I do believe that the quality of merchandise was better at Island Hopper.

The store downtown was Island Hopper. They handled women's and men's clothing. It became hard to compete with the shops at Port Zante when they opened. I do believe that the quality of merchandise was better at Island Hopper.

Thanks for reply back. I totally forgot about that store- I know it had unique things, too bad they couldn't compete. I guess my walking destination will be as far as Pelican Craft Village-- Love the Rosalyns shop, and hope the guy making bendy soccer players is still on waterfront. Never have seen what he makes anywhere else.

You can walk to town. Otherwise, you'll need to take a taxi.

LuLu

We've been to Barbados twice now, and first time walked off ship to get a taxi to downtown. After waiting ten minutes in taxi, and threatening to get out, they magically found a new taxi for us to get into- four adults plus driver in a small compact car. We met some new friends mighty quick.

On way back, we tried walking but was June, so found a taxi van with a/c willing to take us for $10 back. Again waited,waited. Then asked get into another taxi with another couple with no a/c. When we got to pier driver had doubled both our fares and it was not because of currency type. Did not want to ruin trip as I am sure police would not be on our side, soo be careful when get in negotiate rate, and what currency.

That is why we are interested in walking this time - not waiting for taxi to fill up when we could have walked halfway there, no a/c anyhow.

I just hope it is a nice day. Walk to town think 20 min? It took 10 to get to Pelican Mall for us walking fast.

We've been to Barbados twice now, and first time walked off ship to get a taxi to downtown. After waiting ten minutes in taxi, and threatening to get out, they magically found a new taxi for us to get into- four adults plus driver in a small compact car. We met some new friends mighty quick.

On way back, we tried walking but was June, so found a taxi van with a/c willing to take us for $10 back. Again waited,waited. Then asked get into another taxi with another couple with no a/c. When we got to pier driver had doubled both our fares and it was not because of currency type. Did not want to ruin trip as I am sure police would not be on our side, soo be careful when get in negotiate rate, and what currency.

That is why we are interested in walking this time - not waiting for taxi to fill up when we could have walked halfway there, no a/c anyhow.

I just hope it is a nice day. Walk to town think 20 min? It took 10 to get to Pelican Mall for us walking fast.

Great and helpful information on Barbados ... but this is the St. Kitts & Nevis Forum. ;)

LuLu