Check your prices

By all means, keep an eye on your cruise price even after booking. I just scored a $300 ( $150 pp) discount. All I had to do is call and tell them I noticed the price drop and ask if I could take advantage of it!:D

Very good advise. I always watch pricing on a cruise I have booked. When originally booked out current transatlantic cruise, we reserved a balcony for the simple reason, that after a loyalty discount, it was only a few hundred dollars more that the inside cabin. 8 months later there was a substantial discount on inside cabins. Since then, there have been 4 more price decreases for inside cabins. Thus we have now saved a total of $1800.00 from our original reservation. Although I believe the price decreases are probably over, I'll keep looking up until we leave on the trip. You never know, balcony cabins may get a substantial discount and we could upgrade for a just a few hundred dollars more. Still a much better deal than when we originally booked.

Yes, very good advice. I check prices constantly, even after I've booked. In my case though, since I usually book last minute, prices have only gone up afterwards, never down. However, it always makes me feel good about the price that I paid!

I agree it is always best to check prices anytime you can! Also don't be afraid to book early! Many lines will honor price drops until final payment, or you can always cancel and rebook.

A great example would be my currently booked cruise. We booked about a month after the dates were released. There are 3 of our rooms left, though it was 0 until recently. The current prices are $1100 MORE than what we paid. That is just insane, esp since they can't get the $300 OBC for booking 9 months out anymore.

Even with that I still check daily.... I almost almost took the Aft Suite that was opened for awhile. I was thinking of calling and seeing if I could use the last price for my room instead of what I paid. In the end I didn't, but if one opens up again and the price increases I just might try it!

• 2 weeks later...

What cruise line? We just noticed our cruise is being advertised for $150 per person less than we paid, but we leave in two weeks and we are fully paid. We are sailing on RCCL, does anyone know what RC's policy is on that?

I check at least weekly, and noticed on our 1/5/14 NCL cruise the price for our category aft penthouse went up $250 p/p since we booked in January of this year. So it pays to book early in some cases also, as there is only 1 aft penthouse left.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

What cruise line? We just noticed our cruise is being advertised for $150 per person less than we paid, but we leave in two weeks and we are fully paid. We are sailing on RCCL, does anyone know what RC's policy is on that?

On RC you can't get the price decrease at this point, but you could possible change to a higher category if that price is now comparitive to what you've already booked.

As already mentioned, RCCL's policy is no refund or OBC after final payment but if a higher level has also been reduced you can probably upgrade for little or no extra charge. Just yesterday I encountered the same (almost) situation. On my Aug. 11 cruise on FOS that we booked in January and made final payment on in May, the price for the two D1 staterooms we booked for 6 people had dropped by $1500. I called RCCL and he said that since final payment was past he couldn't give me OBC but he could check and see if we could upgrade. The next level up, Junior Suite, was sold out but we could get two Grand Suites for a total of $400 more. I actually thought about it for 10 seconds, wondering whether to spend another $400 and then the "What the heck - my son and his family are gonna LOVE this" thought kicked in and I agreed to the upgrade.

I have to point out that I did make the original reservation directly through RCCL and not a TA and I don't know how it would work if you used a TA. You'd probably have to deal with the TA. RCCL's Customer Service was excellent and he was VERY helpful.

None of us have never had anything better than a window stateroom, and we were excited about having a balcony, and now we get GRAND SUITES. My son was dancing with joy when I told him. I think I'm going to have to take better clothes if we're staying in a suite...... :D

• 11 months later...