First HAL cruise booked!!

put me on a ship

We just booked our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, leaving July 15, round trip Venice, and visiting several Greek islands and Turkey. Any advice, suggestions, ANYTHING, would be greatly appreciated. This will be our first European cruise also.

Things I'd like to know: what to pack (are formal nights very formal), what are the best dishes in MDR, what are must do's on the ship, what are must do's in the ports, and anything else you would like to share!

Ports are Katakolon, Piraeus, Istanbul, Lesbos, Kusadasi, Thira, Argostoli, and Venice, of course.

We are SO excited to finally cross the Greek islands off our bucket list, and very excited to cruise with HAL.

Thanks!!!

Kat

We have sailed on the sister ship, Eurodam and loved it. Make sure to eat in the Tamarind (charge) and have a drink in the Silk Den.

In Kusadasi take the trip to Ephesus. Marvelous

In Venice we just wandered the streets, got "lost", found the place where they repair gondolas. if we saw a tour group coming, we went the other way. Too many things to list. Any google search will give you lots to see. I hope you have an extra day or so before or after the cruise just for Venice.

Pireaus - Athens of course. You will need to take a HAL tour or arrange a private yourself since Pireaus is the port for Athens and about 15 kilometres outside the city. there is public transportation but we were happy with our tour bus. The Acropolis was on our hit list. The Plaka was taken over by demonstrations the day we were there.

We have not been to the other stops on your tour.

Enjoy your planning and your cruise next year.

KK you were faster than me!!

Edited by superoma
add a line

Congrats on your cruise! Sounds like a great itinerary.

Formal Nights: I would say only about 20% of the men do the tuxedo on cruises these days. I have, and let me tell you, it feels great to rock a tux with the 20%! Compliments galore hehe. Otherwise dark suit or jacket and tie is fine.

You'll probably be on cobblestones and ruins often at those ports: wear comfortable boots or shoes.

Avoid scams in Athens or anywhere for that matter: Do not go off with friendly locals to their "favourite bar" or other venue.

Some port locations have religious sensitivities that should be observed: no shorts or uncollared shirts or open toe sandals. I saw many a local looking harshly at other tourists...

You can hire a driver in Athens and other places who will take you around to all the sites quickly and efficiently. They aren't allowed to go "in", because the tour guides have a monopoly but they wait for you. Our guy was just great, and we found him on trip advisor.

Bon voyage!

PS try to get to Rome

PPS if you really like something on the menu in MDR, ask for extra. We all do that on lobster night!

Edited by MaxThrusters

Congrats on your cruise! Sounds like a great itinerary.

Formal Nights: I would say only about 20% of the men do the tuxedo on cruises these days. I have, and let me tell you, it feels great to rock a tux with the 20%! Compliments galore hehe. Otherwise dark suit or jacket and tie is fine.

You'll probably be on cobblestones and ruins often at those ports: wear comfortable boots or shoes.

Avoid scams in Athens or anywhere for that matter: Do not go off with friendly locals to their "favourite bar" or other venue.

Some port locations have religious sensitivities that should be observed: no shorts or uncollared shirts or open toe sandals. I saw many a local looking harshly at other tourists...

You can hire a driver in Athens and other places who will take you around to all the sites quickly and efficiently. They aren't allowed to go "in", because the tour guides have a monopoly but they wait for you. Our guy was just great, and we found him on trip advisor.

Bon voyage!

PS try to get to Rome

PPS if you really like something on the menu in MDR, ask for extra. We all do that on lobster night!

What about the women? Long evening gowns, or cocktail dresses?

Grand ladies wear the gowns and look fab. I've seen the young and young at heart ladies try to work it in a cocktail dress, heart-stopping short: it never seems to work though. A bit sluttish for evening wear, perhaps more suited to Ibiza or a night club with no line outside*...Maybe I am just an old fashioned prude though! I've always thought: men in black tie, ladies with covered** knees and elbows.. men in white tie, ladies with covered wrists** and ankles.. oh and yes glittery

I've been out celebrating tonight (i.e. a few cocktails) so I'm perhaps not being as polite as I should here, but i mean well. Bon voyage!

* bridge & tunnel crowd, lol

**long gloves of course!

Edited by MaxThrusters