Need Help in Deciding Where To Go Please

barb3246

I was hoping that I could get a little help deciding what to do for our day in Cozumel. This is our first time here, and we will be coming in on the Allure (along with 3 other ships - 16,500+ people!) from 8am - 7pm. We would like to have a nice relaxing beach day on a beautiful beach that we can just walk into the water from and do some swimming/floating. It would be nice if there was a pool as well, and available shade is important. We are in our early 50's, have no kids and no real interest to do any water activities. We will likely bring our own masks/snorkel and poke around in whatever beach we end up. I don't want to go to an extremely crowded place, but we don't need it to be too quiet either.

I have been reading reviews of Mr Sanchos and Nachi, and the all-inclusive options seem nice. We're not big fans of Mexican food, but it would be nice to be able to get something to eat and drink while we're there. I'm a bit concerned about Nachi after reading that the sand was very soft and difficult to walk on and that the beach had a sharp drop-off/hump at the edge of the water - is that true? Not even sure if Nachi is still available - I emailed the reservations dept but have not heard back from them. Mr Sanchos sounds nice and gets a lot of good reviews.

Paradise Beach may be another option, and is a bit less expensive, but wondering how crowded it will get. From the pictures I've seen it looks like the swimming area has a lot of water toys in it - where do you swim if you don't want to use these? Playa Mia sounds like its geared more for kids.

Any opinions would be welcome!

I think you'd love Mr Sanchos. The all inclusive side will have you sitting at a table with an umbrella. The service is great and there is a nice size pool with a swim up bar. I'd make advance reservations since they only allow 200 guest. Also if you don't care for the Mexican food there are other choices on the menu below.

http://www.mrsanchos.com/media/wysiwyg/sanchos/menus/Menu_Alimentos_All_Inclusive_2014.jpg

Edited by Podna's

We've been to Nachi 6 times, Paradise Beach twice and Mr Sanchos once. We're about the same age as you.

When we cruise just the 2 of us, we usually go to Nachi. The chairs and palapas are spread out so you don't feel crowded with your neighbors. Service and food has always been good. There is a little slope at the water line, but it's never bothered us. We tried Mr Sanchos a couple years ago (AI side), and we didn't like it at all. It was crowded, the chairs were very close together and they were right at the water line. We like a few drinks as much as the next guy, but it had much more of a party atmosphere (especially in the pool), and we just wanted to relax, read, swim a little and enjoy some cocktails. It also annoyed us that all of the drinks were poured into those little plastic cups - even beers from a bottle. We happily went back to Nachi the next time.

When we cruise with the kids (tween and teen) we go to Paradise Beach - they love the toys in the water. Next month, we're planning to go to Paradise beach even though we won't have the kids with us. The pool there is beautiful, and if there aren't many ships in port (<10,000 people when we will be there), it's not overly crowded.

Most of the beach clubs are along the same stretch of beach, so the sand/beach isn't very different between them. Hope that helps. Enjoy your visit to Cozumel!

We tried Mr Sanchos a couple years ago (AI side), and we didn't like it at all. It was crowded, the chairs were very close together and they were right at the water line. We like a few drinks as much as the next guy, but it had much more of a party atmosphere (especially in the pool), and we just wanted to relax, read, swim a little and enjoy some cocktails. It also annoyed us that all of the drinks were poured into those little plastic cups - even beers from a bottle. We happily went back to Nachi the next time!

That was a couple years ago. Now there is a guest limit. The chairs are more spread out. We only went to Nachi once and if laid back is what you want that's the place. I almost got up to check if anyone there had a pulse. It was nice but the service at Mr Sanchos was so much better. Been 4 times now and looking forward to # 5.

That was a couple years ago. Now there is a guest limit. The chairs are more spread out. We only went to Nachi once and if laid back is what you want that's the place. I almost got up to check if anyone there had a pulse. It was nice but the service at Mr Sanchos was so much better. Been 4 times now and looking forward to # 5.

Couldn't agree more. Loved Mr Sanchos. Been there a few times and this party atmosphere I heard about was non existent. Very peaceful and service was excellent.

I went ahead and booked Mr. Sancho's - $50pp total with only a $5pp fully refundable deposit. :D It said they only allow 350 people to book.

Nachi is sold out that day anyway. Really looking forward to a great day at Mr.Sancho's!

We were in Cozumel in early August with 2 other ships in port. Here's what we did, and it was a great day!

We got off the ship early, around 8am, and walked to the street to get a taxi. We went to Chankanaab Beach Park and got there before they opened at 8:30 (they advertise 8am, but didn't open until 8:30). The taxi was $11 total. Admission to the park is $21 each.

We were the first two in the park, had our pick of any lounger we wanted, and were the first ones in the water.

If you look at the map at the bottom of this page:

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

#1 is the swimming pool, and to the left of it is a great little cove. The waves are stopped by the coral surrounding this cove, so it's a great place to wade in and float around to get cool. There are actually some good fish to look at, too, if you put on a mask and just look in. The water is shallow all the way to the outer rocks.

This place has everything, and futher to the left on the map to just above #9 and to the left a little, you will see a square indentation. That's steps leading down into the water, and my friend had an amazing snorkel experience there. Snorkel rental is where the little life vest icon is more to the left, and it costs $10, including a locker. Life vests are free.

We stayed for several hours, then showered (free outside showers), and caught another taxi to Las Palmeras restaurant. AMAZING Mexican food and margaritas. Really, really good lunch and margarita for about $18 each.

Then we went shopping and caught a taxi back to the ship.

So, per person for transportation and park admissin, $60, plus snorkel gear cost.

I went ahead and booked Mr. Sancho's - $50pp total with only a $5pp fully refundable deposit. :D It said they only allow 350 people to book.

Nachi is sold out that day anyway. Really looking forward to a great day at Mr.Sancho's!

Great choice! Have fun.

We had a great day at Mr Sanchos and I agree with a previous poster that we did not experience any "party atmosphere" when we were there either. It was a nice and calm day. I have a review in my signature line if you are interested. There's TONS of pictures included. :)