Cash machines

off on the Majesty next week around the Canaries and I don't really want to change more Euros than we need. As I have a Zero card I can draw cash without charge ( as long as the cash point doesn't) so I was wondering are there any nearby the ports we will be docking at ?

Thanks

I think (but may be wrong) but you can check the location of Santander ATMs via their website(s) for your Zero card.

If you are purchasing goods or services (ie a meal) it's just as easy to use your card to pay.

It'll vary from port to port - Arrecife berthing is well outside the town, no facilities there if memory serves.

Also, if you Google ATM locator it will flag up websites for both Visa and Mastercard where you can search worldwide for ATMs.

Thanks that's useful I will give it a go. First port is Las Palmas on the Saturday so I think there is a shopping centre there that should have one. Going to Fire mountain in Lanzarote so should be ok, I presume you can use your card on the boat if needed?

I presume you can use your card on the boat if needed?

The shop is cashless so you do not use money on board. All on ship purchases are credited tom your room card which is why you have to either register a debit or credit card or deposit 200 Pounds cash when you check-in at the port.

The shop is cashless so you do not use money on board. All on ship purchases are credited tom your room card which is why you have to either register a debit or credit card or deposit 200 Pounds cash when you check-in at the port.

Of course, I only went on one last year (well a RCL) my brain is defo losing its elasticity ;p

I'll just take some with me and get more when I can.

Thanks

There is a large shopping centre at Las Palmas, there will be ATMs there.

There are other alternatives to a credit card - two banks offer debit cards which have no fees when withdrawing cash abroad.

Metrobank is Europe only - but that covers a wide range of popular tourist destinations including the Canaries - but you need to apply in branch , and these are located in and around London.

Nationwide FlexPlus is worldwide (I think) buy incurs a £10 monthly fee - well worth it though for the worldwide travel cover up to age 75 and other packaged goodies like mobile phone insurance.

There is a large shopping centre at Las Palmas, there will be ATMs there.

There are other alternatives to a credit card - two banks offer debit cards which have no fees when withdrawing cash abroad.

Metrobank is Europe only - but that covers a wide range of popular tourist destinations including the Canaries - but you need to apply in branch , and these are located in and around London.

Nationwide FlexPlus is worldwide (I think) buy incurs a £10 monthly fee - well worth it though for the worldwide travel cover up to age 75 and other packaged goodies like mobile phone insurance.

Thanks I have seen about the NW flexi account and I might look into purely for the insurance, I presume it includes cruising? I already have the old Nationwide account I used to use abroad before they charged.

My zero card is a debit, it's an old account, with no charges I just use for holidays :cool:

Thanks I have seen about the NW flexi account and I might look into purely for the insurance, I presume it includes cruising? I already have the old Nationwide account I used to use abroad before they charged.

My zero card is a debit, it's an old account, with no charges I just use for holidays :cool:

We are just looking at upgrading to the new Nationwide flex plus account. It does include cruising, worldwide cover and also car breakdown. We have a couple of minor medical conditions and the cost to include those was less buying an annual worldwide policy so we will probably be changing! I also have a zero a/c with Santander which I always use abroad and Post Office credit card which doesn't charge for use abroad.

We are just looking at upgrading to the new Nationwide flex plus account. It does include cruising, worldwide cover and also car breakdown. We have a couple of minor medical conditions and the cost to include those was less buying an annual worldwide policy so we will probably be changing! I also have a zero a/c with Santander which I always use abroad and Post Office credit card which doesn't charge for use abroad.

We have the NW flexplus and the travel insurance cover is excellent. We pay an additional amount for pre existing conditions but it's worth it. We had to claim on one occasion and it was trouble free.

We draw foreign currency on the debit card when abroad and there is no fee, and you get the best exchange rate (as long as you do the.transaction in the currency you are drawing and don't let the atm provider do the exchange)

Also there is no charge on the NW credit card on purchases abroad (there is a change for drawing cash)

I think I'm correct in thinking the N'wide FlexPlus debit card is not fee free if used for goods or services, only for ATM cash ?

Strange one.

The Santander Zero debit card is only fee free at their ATMs ?

The Santander Zero is free for both, I have used it for years , unless it has recently changed ?

I meant that the Zero debit card was only fee free in respect of cash withdrawals from Santander ATMs, not other bank machines, as far as I know.

In contrast to the Nationwide FlexPlus debit card which is fee free at any ATM - but oddly incurs charges if used for goods and services abroad.

I meant that the Zero debit card was only fee free in respect of cash withdrawals from Santander ATMs, not other bank machines, as far as I know.

In contrast to the Nationwide FlexPlus debit card which is fee free at any ATM - but oddly incurs charges if used for goods and services abroad.

I've just checked my Santander Zero card account for last September when we were in Spain. No charges at all for withdrawals from cash machines, whether Santander or not and no charges on restaurant meals or shops.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I had a look at the Zero debit card a few years ago before it was pulled - got it into my head that it was only fee free when used at a Santander ATM.

Just had a quick look online - it appears any Santander debit card is fee free when used at one of their branded holes in the wall - as long as you are paying in the minimum £500 per month.

I'll double check that one before trying it in the field !!!

Useful to know for mainland Spain, the Balerics and Canaries.