Cococay and nassau wheelchair accessible

cybernetmame2

• 2 weeks later...

In coco cay, the tender is like a barge which the chair can roll right on. On the island there are beach wheel chairs to transfer into. I didn't transfer because the sand is very packed in most places and there is a sidewalk like cement barley cover with sand you can go on. I did all this in a manual chair.

In coco cay, the tender is like a barge which the chair can roll right on. On the island there are beach wheel chairs to transfer into. I didn't transfer because the sand is very packed in most places and there is a sidewalk like cement barley cover with sand you can go on. I did all this in a manual chair.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an electric wheelchair and could not transfer to the big tire chair used on the sand. I was not able to get around on Cococay at all.

I was able to get to Atlantis in a W/C accessible taxi. It was arranged by Disney Cruise Line so I have no further information about it.

• 7 months later...
Does anyone know how many sand wheelchairs there are on Cococay? And how about the restrooms do they have access from these big chairs? If the chairs are all gone can you get around the island with a manual chair.

We're going to be there in 2 weeks (10/25) as part of the Quest 2-day "test" cruise. My DH has MS and would only be able to get on the beach with a wheelchair. I will take pictures and report on accessibility. Will that work for you?

I appreciate your unearthing this thread. We were going to use this as an "experiment" in tendering and not be too disappointed if we had to stay on the ship, but it sounds like getting on the tender boat at Coco Cay will definitely be possible. Exciting!

Thanks GRBlizz, my wife also has MS. We just need to know if there are hand rails in restrooms abd wide enough doors to get beach chair into stalls. A few years back we did HAL private Island and they had only 1 wheelchair. The bathrooms were very hard for her to get into. I just asked a lady to post watch outside while I rammed the wheelchair into the restroom (very tight fit). I called RCCL and they said there was 15 wheelchairs. WOW. I was on COCOCAY years ago when her MS wasn't as bad so I cant quite remember seeing alot of chairs. Tender has never been a problem. She is pretty small and her manual chair is only 15 pounds. Can you husband stand or take a few steps at all? If so it should be no problem if the weather is good. Thanks again for checking it out. And the pictures would be great! I always take pic's of Bathrooms for our TA.. She specifically books accessible travel for people and the more info she has the better. THanks

And the pictures would be great! I always take pic's of Bathrooms for our TA.. She specifically books accessible travel for people and the more info she has the better. THanks

I can do that. I can take pictures on the Azamara Quest public restrooms, too, to add to her collection. Actually, I will make a little "accessibiility" slideshow for this ship.

We got our documents yesterday, and now that I know DH will be able to enjoy the beach, I am very, very excited. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm back. Coco Cay is VERY accessible! Here are the pictures of Coco Cay, as well as pictures of our cabin on the Azamara Quest.

I took several pix of the restroom. The layout of the area is fine for wheelchairs, they have plenty of beach wheelchairs for your free use, and the staff is happy to help.

Also, the tender is basically just like going into another room - gently sloped ramp from the ship to the tender deck and off (there are pictures of this, too).

Hope you have a great time.

The pictures were great. I'm sure myself and others are very grateful to you as the Quest is a new "wonder". Did you feel the hallways and public rooms were all scooter accessible? Did you feel more motion on this ship because it's small? Was there always a non-stair ramp going out to port? Like I said, the Quest is an unknown to many of us and we're afraid to take the chance. Thanks. V

• 9 years later...

CocoCay is somewhat accessible … Ship anchors off shore, and a tender (flattish barge-like boat) is used to take passengers to the island… Up front on the tender is a space for manual chairs or electric scooters…. (you must have your own chair, they are NOT supplied unless previous arrangements were made)

Because of temporary ramps being movable, if the seas are rough, you will NOT be allowed to go ashore … Admittedly, the ramp protruding from the ship to tender is spiked high (like a mini mountain), then inclines steeply … (first UP, then immediately down) …. Electric scooter users must get off their rig and crew members will take it down the ramp empty … For this, you must be able to walk a tad …. I was in a manual racing chair, and my son tipped me back a bit, carefully rolled me backwards on ramp to keep from dumping me on my face …. Staff were helpful in asking, but we’ve done this numerous times ourselves, safely…. If your mate cannot assist, no worries, crew prefers if THEY do it anyway.

Once on the tender, you are set close to a rail, where crewman makes sure you don’t move … Safety is their first concern, which I’m pleased

At the island, you will transfer into a beach chair…. (PVC pipe with big rubber wheels) … If you decide not to transfer, I cannot have sympathy for you…. Two manual chairs got stuck in sand, when I visited CocoCay…. They declined the beach chair, which can be pushed with about the same amount of force a manual is propelled by an assisting companion…. You cannot push a beach chair alone, no wheel holds, as handles are on the back near the user’s shoulders … Has a footrest too …. with airy sling bottom.…. (see pics)… Can put a backpack on the handles to carry incidentals for the day

Sand is slightly packed around the island, but not hard… No way my lil casters could get even a few feet …. Nearer the water’s edge, sand is much looser…. I was worried my $4000 manual racing chair could be stolen if I left it to transfer …. Rest assured, they have a guard right there, in charge of all chairs …. You leave your chair, take the FREE beach chair…. Do the reverse when finished…. I saw more than a dozen beach chairs, and I believe more were in the shed right there as well….Persons using walkers do same, you leave your walker by the guard, transfer into a big comfy beach chair…. This is what keeps able-bodied people from taking advantage of resources … Leave your collateral, return theirs when done to get yours back.

A big buffet on the beach for lunch occurs …. Ship restaurants mostly closed, as the food comes from ship to island, by our Chefs … Wonderful assortment, free with SeaPass, in island themed dishes … I needed help to hold plates, so Hubby took me thru first, set me under shaded pavilion, and went back to get his fares … the “line” was only two people, so not what I call a wait.

Restrooms…. There are two buildings …. ONE is the accessible for chairs, the other is not …. Beach chair wheels inside, a bit tough to turn corners, but fits well… TIP: Beach chair maneuvers better GOING BACKWARDS into HUGE stalls)… Plenty of room … Handrails on side and across the back, sink with soap & paper towels, room for assistant…. My Husband went into the women’s restroom WITH me … Upon entering, I announced, “Man in the building, I’m in a wheelchair” …. Women looked our way, no one freaked…. Doors fit tight on other stalls too, so privacy ensured.

CocoCay is beautiful…. Well worth the transfer you should do…. I’m paraplegic so it’s a nuisance, but can easily be accomplished … Beach chairs have brakes….also when you lean forward, the footrest ‘docks’ and helps steady the entire chair, enabling you to reach for handrail… Don’t stress it, staff can help if you need it.

086.jpg.71b39834d24210da3fdba484335e41a7.jpg

087.jpg.aca058e26749d9999494dfb95b609d35.jpg

126.jpg.4d8620dee4be45ba212ba664bcfdb645.jpg

172.jpg.dc8ef992408a4056947d54779f81bf2f.jpg

1776048856_CocoCayRestroomInside.jpg.5a013c5577b6524d0ccf1d20f3cbe8d9.jpg

407802058_CocoCayRestroomStall.jpg.5b3a0f18367ee5c193cfa72f987b4f62.jpg

CocoCayRestroom.jpg.2897a96f045f0014e3fc37400d408de9.jpg

1395773425_shiptender.jpg.6603ce46dc269d6544bcacb4974f7fca.jpg

089.jpg.af34382d354d4de412f0d166d5637875.jpg

091.jpg.c43b16f0f66e105fd65705a209522c72.jpg

100.jpg.a869596acd4363cc17fa8bbe4d678483.jpg

168.jpg.77bac78937e616a29ae3477b6ca26476.jpg

170.jpg.3da12e773652d5f0313666801adf8f01.jpg

506171857_CocoCayBeachChairs.jpg.34ce8557cbf9b5b909edcc1a2daee42a.jpg

Edited by DebiDebi
add more pics

That's good to know, my mom needs a walker to get around. Are there only limited beach chairs available or did you see lots?

If by "beach chairs" you mean beach wheelchairs than you need to know they're available on a frist come first served basis. If there are several ships there on that day you may not be be allowed to keep one with you the whole time on the island. Rather staff will take you mom onto the beach and than she would have transfer into a lounge chair. You would than have to arrange for staff to come back latter to pick her up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last try on Anthem, (December) with a mid-full size scooter, the angle (lip) getting off the ship was too high and even if lifted, looked steep to navigate. Advised against getting off. On RC ships Labadee is totally accessible for all motarized w/c's and is a " walkto" pier, no tender. Shaded areas and paths at beach area all fine. V.

Sent from my iPad using Forums