What time flight to take?

Hi everyone - I'm new to the boards and excited to be planning a family trip for 10 of us to go on the Fantasy on August 24th :)

My question is what time flight to take out of NYC - I have the option of a 7am flight (arriving at mco at 9:45am) or 8am flight (arriving at mco at 11:00am).

I know its only a one hour difference - but since i'm travelling with young children that may be a bit cranky at 4:30am (which is the wakeup time for the 7am flight) -- I wonder if the earlier flight is worth it to get to the port a bit earlier? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Are both these flights nonstop? If I were flying in the day of the cruise (which I would not do) I would take the earliest flight possible so if something should happen, I would have more options in trying to get to port. If you are taking the Disney transfer from the airport to port, you really can't expect to get to the ship in less than 2-2 1/2 hours (could be more) after arrival at MCO.

Enjoy the Fantasy - she is a beautiful ship!

Same as the previous poster, I NEVER fly in same day of cruise. One thunderstorm can muck up your whole trip (I've seen 7 hour weather delays NYC to MCO in summer).

If you must do same day, earlier the better to give you the most flexibility.

Thanks for the responses! Yes, they are both non-stop and after reading your responses, I'll promptly book the 7am trip. Last time we cruised, we went the day before (because we were worried about january snowstorms). This time, we couldn't get the extra time off from work. Keeping my fingers crossed...

I wish I'd gotten here sooner. I will NEVER again fly in on the day of a cruise if I have any choice in the matter.

Case 1--up before the sun, get to the airport at dawn. MCO about 10 (if you are lucky) and an hour to the port. You board the ship ready to take a nap and take the first day of the vacation to recover.

Case 2--fly in the afternoon or evening before. We get a 2.5* room on Priceline in the MCO area. This has never cost me more than a $39 bid, which is about $50 total with taxes and fees. At this level all hotels include complimentary shuttle to/from MCO and breakfast--this leaves all my transportation options open for the next day. If I'm taking DCL bus, I take the shuttle to MCO and get the bus from there. If I have a rental car or towncar service, both work from the hotel. In the morning, we sleep till 8 or later, then head to the port having had a good night's sleep. If luggage was lost, it has had some time to catch up. If a flight was delayed, no worries.

Just my opinion, but the hotel is well worth the safety.

Archived