Tipping: Keeping Up With Inflation?

Tess of the Sea

I am wondering now how much should one tip the stateroom steward on a QM2 crossing, as I have been giving the same amount for years now, and I'm afraid it may now be too little.

Also, I will try to get a kennel next year for my new puppy, so how much is a good amount to tip the person who takes care of the kennels?

Thanks.

Balf--This seems like a reasonable question to me. Some people do choose to tip over and above the automatic daily amount, and others remove the automatic surcharge and tip separately. I know the latter practice has been the subject of many (sometimes vitriolic) discussions here. However, the OP is asking what appears to be "innocent" and appropriate questions.

I am wondering now how much should one tip the stateroom steward on a QM2 crossing, as I have been giving the same amount for years now, and I'm afraid it may now be too little.

Also, I will try to get a kennel next year for my new puppy, so how much is a good amount to tip the person who takes care of the kennels?

Thanks.

OK, what do you think is a reasonable amount to tip your steward? If you have a figure in mind, give that. Regarding the kennel staff, I have no idea how much to give them or why you would want to inflict such an ordeal on a puppy. I would ask the same question about what you would consider to be a reasonable amount. It is a purely personal decision.

OK, what do you think is a reasonable amount to tip your steward? If you have a figure in mind, give that. Regarding the kennel staff, I have no idea how much to give them or why you would want to inflict such an ordeal on a puppy. I would ask the same question about what you would consider to be a reasonable amount. It is a purely personal decision.

I give 10$ per day and some of our famous sweets

Im not sure what the average guest pays but I would imagine $200 - $1000 per transatlantic is fair for the cabin staff + the additional daily tips which are added

I think the average would be nowhere near those amounts.

David

The chap who cleaned our room was awesome and left us an extra bottle of water each day as he knew its all I would drink. The night before leaving he was turning down our pillows so after a 5 second chat with my GF about how much we should give him it was decided $400 was enough.

Im not sure what the average guest pays but I would imagine $200 - $1000 per transatlantic is fair for the cabin staff + the additional daily tips which are added

$1000?! I imagine perhaps those booking suites in the Queens Grill might pay that much. My goodness, I'm surprised and ashamed to say I have been gravely under-tipping. I really did not know. :o :(

Edited by Tess of the Sea

Balf--This seems like a reasonable question to me. Some people do choose to tip over and above the automatic daily amount, and others remove the automatic surcharge and tip separately. I know the latter practice has been the subject of many (sometimes vitriolic) discussions here. However, the OP is asking what appears to be "innocent" and appropriate questions.

I tip on top of the automatic surcharge. However, on my last crossing I mentioned to my tablemates how much I gave the cabin steward, to which one responded, "oh I gave him much more than that". Embarrassing!

So are the extra tips now expected as well as the $11-13 per day...I only ask because on our last cruise we kept the automatic tip in place as well as tipping our room steward on top, the waiting staff we didn't (purely because we ran out of dollars) and as the automatic tipping was in place we felt any on top was discretionary...what is the correct procedure now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh well, that makes me look very stingey!!

We once sat on a table for eight where every other couple boasted that they took the auto tip off (we always leave it on) On the last night we watched as the most awkward and demanding of the couple's scurried out without leaving an envelope despite excellent service. I often wonder if the staff know who leaves the tips on and who doesn't.

So are the extra tips now expected as well as the $11-13 per day...I only ask because on our last cruise we kept the automatic tip in place as well as tipping our room steward on top, the waiting staff we didn't (purely because we ran out of dollars) and as the automatic tipping was in place we felt any on top was discretionary...what is the correct procedure now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The auto-tip takes care of the day to day service, if someone does a good job I will usually reward them with some folding cash but if they just do their job, I don't. There is no expectation or obligation to tip more.

The auto-tip takes care of the day to day service, if someone does a good job I will usually reward them with some folding cash but if they just do their job, I don't. There is no expectation or obligation to tip more.

That makes me feel a little better. We have always left an envelope for our steward and for the wait staff. We have (so far) always had very good service. But it is nowhere near the amounts mentioned!

That makes me feel a little better. We have always left an envelope for our steward and for the wait staff. We have (so far) always had very good service. But it is nowhere near the amounts mentioned!
Post 14 give good sensible advice. If it make people feel they get more brownie point and impress onlookers by flash the cash that is their choice. But something about certain people easy to part from their money is in my mind. They should think how much more good they do if they give half the amount they currently throw away in tips by giving half to charity. I reach very old age and noticed we get better service more respect great attention now with politeness and treating people well than ever did with tipping heavily in my inexperienced youth. We now tip very selectively.

Cheers.

I disagree.... most of the ignorant people I met on the QM2 were scumbag plebs who never had any cash to flash and if they did it went on a new dress and costume diamonds at primark before sailing.

You really do have a rather questionable way with words. Just because someone is not the same as you, or brought up in the same way, or does not have cash to flash, does not make them a "scumbag" or a "pleb".

I disagree.... most of the ignorant people I met on the QM2 were scumbag plebs who never had any cash to flash and if they did it went on a new dress and costume diamonds at primark before sailing.

The staff who work in the cruise industry are away for months at a time and are on a pretty low wage for the effort they put in. If I can afford to give someone $400 that they use to educate their kids or have more time with their family then why not.

Im lucky I can work a 3 day week and spend weeks on holiday every year so I am a huge believer in the pay it forward philosophy

As said. Your choice. But that you tell all how much money you part with in tip in restaurant on land not on ship speak volume. Far better give half direct charity to fund school become a benefactor. That you call people on your cruise by names merely rude unneeded reinforcement and confirmation. If you have to resort to name calling you have lost argument. Some clever people are clever with words.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

Someone who feels the need to dress up and talk down to anyone rich or poor is a scumbag. Wealth is not a factor and never should be when dealing with people. I know billionaires who treat everyone like family and supermarket staff who treat people like rubbish because they think its acceptable..

I have no problem with Primark or any other low income store

Either way, your choice of words shows you in as poor a light as the people you try to belittle.

Thanks.

I think you will find that the Americans feel very different to the British on this subject. Americans appear to tip for everything whereas we don't. In Australia they don't either and in Japan it is an insult to give a tip. I spent 39 years travelling the world as cabin crew and we were never ever allowed to accept a tip, so do understand about tipping.

I find it is much easier to leave the automatic tip on and then everyone who has made my trip enjoyable is included. There are many behind the scenes people that contribute to your experience. For my cabin steward I will quite often give a few more dollars extra when I leave if I have received excellent service.

Can we forget the personal insults and get back to the original question? :rolleyes:

The amount you leave will differ depending on whether or not you leave the auto gratuities on. I believe you should leave those in place and give extra if you want to. Don't feel any obligation. You know your circumstances. You know how much help you have been given or not. If you can afford a lot, then give a lot (the same as you might at home). However you do it, do it simply and preserve the dignity of the staff member.

In todays world its important to tell it how it is and I will not stand and accept a peasant in a frock made by slave labour in the far east abusing a hard working crew member because they think its acceptable. Turning the other way and not confronting tip dodgers, abuseful plebs, rapists and pedophiles is why situations like jimmy savile happened!

One woman in the Grills abused a waiter.....that doesn't mean everyone wearing clothing from Primark is a peasant or ignorant, and I would hardly put tip dodgers in the same category as rapists and pedophiles.

In todays world its important to tell it how it is and I will not stand and accept a peasant in a frock made by slave labour in the far east abusing a hard working crew member because they think its acceptable. Turning the other way and not confronting tip dodgers, abuseful plebs, rapists and pedophiles is why situations like jimmy savile happened!

Words fail me.

Oh well, that makes me look very stingey!!

We once sat on a table for eight where every other couple boasted that they took the auto tip off (we always leave it on) On the last night we watched as the most awkward and demanding of the couple's scurried out without leaving an envelope despite excellent service. I often wonder if the staff know who leaves the tips on and who doesn't.

The staff definitely knows who removes the tip. They get a list and are required to surrender any tips received from those people. It is never a good idea to remove the auto tip. Above and beyond that, tip what you feel is right for you and your circumstances. Discussing the amount of one's tip is always quite gauche.

Edited by PunkiC