Questions re Helicopter/Glacier Dog Sledding

emory2001

I'm considering one of these excursions for our family of 5 - two adults and kids 9, 10, and 18.

1. How scary is the helicopter ride? None of us have ever flown in one.

2. Did you get any altitude sickness while flying? I've read the helicopters don't usually go higher than 7,000 ft, and I've gotten altitude sickness when skiing at about 8,000 ft.

3. We are looking at Skagway or Juneau for the glacier dog sledding. If you can compare, which of these experiences is the mildest in terms of helicopter ride, walking/hiking difficulty on the glacier, and general strenuousness of the excursion? How difficult/easy is it to walk on the glacier?

4. Is there anything you would have liked to know before you went?

I'm considering one of these excursions for our family of 5 - two adults and kids 9, 10, and 18.

2. Did you get any altitude sickness while flying? I've read the helicopters don't usually go higher than 7,000 ft, and I've gotten altitude sickness when skiing at about 8,000 ft.

3. We are looking at Skagway or Juneau for the glacier dog sledding. If you can compare, which of these experiences is the mildest in terms of helicopter ride, walking/hiking difficulty on the glacier, and general strenuousness of the excursion? How difficult/easy is it to walk on the glacier?

1 & 2 As a veteran of many military helicopter flights as well as the flights in Juneau and Skagway, I would describe the latter two as a floating feeling with some vibration. Unlike a plane there is little feeling of speed and you definitely are not going very fast. No altitude sickness since you are not doing anything strenuous and I think you will be no higher than 4000 feet.

3. Dog sledding in the snow was my favorite excursion in many trips to Alaska. The family will love it and so will all of the sled dogs that you will get to pet. Walking in deep snow is an experience that reminded me of my days in upstate New York. You will be provided overshoes.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/skagway-2/dog-sledding/nggallery/page/2

Walking on the Mendenhall Glacier is not easy. There is a very thin flow of water above the ice and your provided crampons give you a feeling of marching as you have to lift your feet higher than normal for each step. My short walk on the glacier was my second most favored excursion.

Both of my flights noted above were mild and no actions are taken by the pilot to make the passengers feel uncomfortable.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau-2/mendenhall-glacier-walk/

4. I wish I had known to bring a polarizing filter for my camera to make shooting through the helicopter windows and photographing in the bright snow without worrying about glare.

Hope I have calmed any of your misgivings about helicopter flights and made dog sledding in the snow/walking on glaciers an agenda item for you.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most expensive side tours from our cruise so....

- Should we do it through Princess Line, or a local operator (any recommendations?)

- We are 70 / 71 and have no problem walking on normal ground, but my wife hates anywhere slippy and I would hate her to fall and break her leg and ruin the rest of the holiday, so how difficult is it to walk safely?

- Do you get enough time on the glacier for a good sled ride?

Thanks for any advice on this trip

Art

This is one of the most expensive side tours from our cruise so....

- Should we do it through Princess Line, or a local operator (any recommendations?)

- We are 70 / 71 and have no problem walking on normal ground, but my wife hates anywhere slippy and I would hate her to fall and break her leg and ruin the rest of the holiday, so how difficult is it to walk safely?

- Do you get enough time on the glacier for a good sled ride?

Thanks for any advice on this trip

Art

I am your age and I did not have any problems with glacier walking or dog sledding.

If you are considering a Glacier Walk Excursion, you will be wearing crampons that prevent any slipping as well as using a provided trekking pole for stability.

For dog sledding, you will be walking in snow which can be slippery but holding on to each other will work. My sledding in Skagway lasted about an hour of actual riding in addition to dog scratching.

I think the cruise lines have priority and the helicopters hold only six people so booking early is important.

Glacier Dog Sledding is on snow, glacier helicopter landings are on ice. Very different viewing experiences. Also glacier dog sledding is the most canceled Alaska tour. IF a priority then book at your first opportunity. Skagway and Juneau are very similar.

Realize, the cruise line are NOT running any of these tours, so it makes no difference either, on how you book them. They are the SAME tours. Prices can be different. There are only 3 vendors in Juneau, 1 in Skagway. Shouldn't be any issue to find them.

I find the dog sled tours, short, they are fully described how long they are. I've not seen these tours, having hour long rides. They are a couple miles. You do not drive any sleds, they are in tandem with a driver and 3 passengers- 2 in the baskets one on the breaks, You do have an option to switch, if the group wants to.

1. I had never flown in a helicopter either and for ME it wasn't the least bit scary and I do have a fear of heights. Flying over the beautiful landscape was a joy.

2. I've never had altitude sickness, so I can't comment except to say I'm from Delaware where it is mostly flat.

3. I see you are in Florida. Have you ever had the experience of walking on snow? For me, I didn't notice any difficulty, but where we live we get snow and ice. They did give us boots that had studs in the sole, but in general I thought the footing was no big deal. I imagine your kids will love it. The most strenuous part of the excursion for me (I turned 50 the day I went) was riding standing up and holding onto the back of the sled, which was also the most fun. That is optional. You can just sit if you want to. We didn't walk very far. If you can walk around in one of those big box stores or even a grocery store, you should be able to handle the distance.:) Just noticed you've been skiing, which I would say is more difficult and slippery, since you're supposed to slide on skiis :), than walking on the glacier snow, which was kind of slushy on the day I went.

4. Tips: They won't let you take much of anything on the helicopter with you. You will have to leave backpacks and tote bags locked up at the office/heliport. Bring sunglasses. Snow is bright. They supply them, but I liked having my own. Don't overdress - it can be warm on the glacier. Oops never mind I forgot you're from Florida.;)

Edited by portiemom