First cruise ever :)

Basic974

Hello everyone ! First of all, i'm french so i apologize for my bad english. But still, i hope that some of you guys could help me.

I'm 27 years old, and just finished my studies in Québec, i just got my master degree and now planning to go back in france to get a job there. My parents were so happy that they bought me a ticket to cruise on QM2 this june 2017 as a gift (New york to Southampton).

I dont really know if i should be happy about this though (still it's too late to refuse, because the ticket has already been sold). I explain myself : It's the first time ever that i'm going to take a boat, furthermore its seems to be a really long trip (about 7 days).

I'm really worry about the weather in june on the atlantic ocean. Many friends told me that the sea is rough most of the time, and sometimes it's so rough that you think that the ship may sink, and it could happen !

Can the QM2 handle any kind of storm ? Is june a good month to cross the atlantic ocean ? Can you even sleep when the boat is pitching and rolling ? (don't know if theses words are accurate). Anyway i'm really wondering if a transatlantic crossing is a good idear for a new cruiser like me. I'm always thinking about the boat mooving in all ways, that you can't even walk on it. It's terrifying ! I know, i shouldn't be so anxious, because i've heard that atlantic crossing is a beautiful experience. But still, i'm really scared about this.

Again, i'm really sorry for my terrible english (lot of mistakes, and maybe wrong using of words). I hope you guys can understand what i'm saying though.

I wish to you all a beautiful day guys ! take care ! :)

Hello everyone ! First of all, i'm french so i apologize for my bad english. But still, i hope that some of you guys could help me.

I'm 27 years old, and just finished my studies in Québec, i just got my master degree and now planning to go back in france to get a job there. My parents were so happy that they bought me a ticket to cruise on QM2 this june 2017 as a gift (New york to Southampton).

I dont really know if i should be happy about this though (still it's too late to refuse, because the ticket has already been sold). I explain myself : It's the first time ever that i'm going to take a boat, furthermore its seems to be a really long trip (about 7 days).

I'm really worry about the weather in june on the atlantic ocean. Many friends told me that the sea is rough most of the time, and sometimes it's so rough that you think that the ship may sink, and it could happen !

The weather and sea conditions are not predictable more than a couple of days in advance.

Can the QM2 handle any kind of storm ? Is june a good month to cross the atlantic ocean ? Can you even sleep when the boat is pitching and rolling ? (don't know if theses words are accurate). Anyway i'm really wondering if a transatlantic crossing is a good idear for a new cruiser like me. I'm always thinking about the boat mooving in all ways, that you can't even walk on it. It's terrifying ! I know, i shouldn't be so anxious, because i've heard that atlantic crossing is a beautiful experience. But still, i'm really scared about this.

The QM2 is designed to handle any sea condition. One part of that is a great reserve of speed to go around severe weather.

If you have your stateroom number, you can check the deck plans to check its location.

In general, rooms lower and closer to the center of the ship experience less motion - that would include the new single staterooms on decks 2 & 3. The rooms with the most would be the new deck 13 cabins, with everything else in between.

We selected a deck 5 'sheltered balcony' room for our TA roundtrip.

Again, i'm really sorry for my terrible english (lot of mistakes, and maybe wrong using of words). I hope you guys can understand what i'm saying though.

I wish to you all a beautiful day guys ! take care ! :)

You may want to visit the Cunard section of the forums, and the Roll Call thread for your crossing [Link is for the 15 June eastbound crossing].

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic!

First, stop worrying!! It will be a chance of a lifetime. The Queen Mary 2 is an ocean LINER she was built to handle rough seas, her entire purpose when she was built was to do Atlantic crossings and she does this well.

For the 7 days on board you will arrive in Southampton with NO JET LAG!! The clocks will get set one hour ahead each night. Don't worry you will have so much to occupy your time it won't be as boring as you fear. There is a planetarium on board! Great enrichment speakers offering lectures in the afternoon. Afternoon tea time in the Queen's Room, uper English tea with scones and little sandwiches. There are movie offerings as well. Pub games/trivia etc. My mother and I felt we didn't have enough time to all the things we wanted to do. If you would rather not do any of those things, QM2 has the largest library at sea with wonder quiet places to sit and read. There are puzzles and board games set out on one of the lower decks, also near the self-serve coffee tea machines. I think you will find enough to keep you occupied during the day.

In the evenings there is dancing, shows and music in different venues to while away the night hours. As for the pitching and rolling, unless you are sailing through a storm you won't notice much and actually I find the gentle roll so peaceful I sleep more deeply than I do at home. We sailed the 3rd week of May and we had smooth seas, there is just no way to tell what you will encounter.

Now for the nitty gritty ..... Cunard is a formal cruise line. Formal evenings require a dark suit (or tuxedo) and informal nights require at least a jacket. Nothing wrong with wearing the suit each evening for men, and cocktail dress or long dress for ladies.

If you have more specific questions there is a Cunard specific board here on C.C. under Cruise Lines A-O

I hope you have a wonderful adventure!! Congratulations on your degree and your new job.

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour et bienvenue a CruiseCritic. Votre anglais est anglais est très bon; certainement mieux que mon français!

June is a good time to sail, and your ship will be fine. If the weather is bad, the captain will change course to avoid it.

If there are rougher seas than normal one day and you feel queasy, sit in a lounge in the middle of the ship, closer to the water until you feel better. I have been on a few cruises where I could feel some movement in the ship; sometimes it feels as if the waves are rocking me to sleep.

You will be fine. Have fun!

welcome to the addiction (cruising)

your English is pretty good...I am in alberta and my French is awful...

I get seasick really easily...like on the ferry to Vancouver Island. That being said the QM2 is large and should ride out storms fairly well. What I use is wristbands. They have a small ball that compresses a pressure point on your wrist that seems to work to stop motion sickness. There are also patches that go behind the ear and delivery meds. motion sickness meds like gravol also work. I suggest you prepare and have the wristbands and some meds on hand just in case. Better to have and not need than to look for something once sea sickness hits. I wear the bands if there is any indication it could get rough. We just did a cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver. Pacific can get really rough. We got lucky and only had about an hour of rough seas the night before Vancouver (trip had 5 days at sea). Sea days are good for relaxing and enjoying the ship.

One of the joys of cruising are the ports. Your cruise will not do much of that..but they are a great way to see Europe. Greek Islands especially.

Have fun

welcome to the addiction (cruising)

your English is pretty good...I am in alberta and my French is awful...

I get seasick really easily...like on the ferry to Vancouver Island. That being said the QM2 is large and should ride out storms fairly well. What I use is wristbands. They have a small ball that compresses a pressure point on your wrist that seems to work to stop motion sickness. There are also patches that go behind the ear and delivery meds. motion sickness meds like gravol also work. I suggest you prepare and have the wristbands and some meds on hand just in case. Better to have and not need than to look for something once sea sickness hits. I wear the bands if there is any indication it could get rough. We just did a cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver. Pacific can get really rough. We got lucky and only had about an hour of rough seas the night before Vancouver (trip had 5 days at sea). Sea days are good for relaxing and enjoying the ship.

One of the joys of cruising are the ports. Your cruise will not do much of that..but they are a great way to see Europe. Greek Islands especially.

Have fun

I agree, look at the wrist bands! I was super nervous about seasickness for my first cruise. I took along ginger tablets and candied ginger for snacking (which some of my seasick companions definitely took advantage of). I also tried to stay very hydrated and took it easy as far as drinks the first few days. The one mistake I did make was spending a lot of time inside the ship on a rough morning - if the sea happens to be rough, try to get as central as possible on the ship and in fresh air where you can see the horizon.