Istanbul Shore Excursions in June

I've seen some threads here that say Istanbul is relatively easy to DIY, but I think I'd be more comfortable with a tour there. I'm looking for advice on good short excursions in June. We'll be in Istanbul on Thursday June 16th from the Ruby Princess and I'm looking for good options other than the cruise ship tour packages. The ship arrives at 8AM and departs at 6PM.

Edited by ctz1057

I agree, since all the major sites are clumped close together you will walk from one to the other even on a tour ;)

Now, on a tour they will put you on a bus, in a taxi or car.....thus causing you to have to deal with the horrendous traffic that can occur in Istanbul. Now, the tram which runs right down the middle of the road from the port area to the historic area does not have to stop for lights or anything but to pick up more people at a tram stop.

It took us 8 minutes to get from our stop near the ship to the historic area. At our table at dinner others told us of being stuck in traffic for over an hour on said bus, taxi or car......... not exactly how I want to spend the precious little time you have in Istanbul.

It is a clean, friendly and wonderful place to visit. Can't wait to have the opportunity to go back...... someday.

Just my 2 cents..... :)

I've seen some threads here that say Istanbul is relatively easy to DIY, but I think I'd be more comfortable with a tour there. I'm looking for advice on good short excursions in June. We'll be in Istanbul on Thursday June 16th from the Ruby Princess and I'm looking for good options other than the cruise ship tour packages. The ship arrives at 8AM and departs at 6PM.

We did an excursion on our first visit that included the Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, a walk through Sulemaniye Square, and the Hippodrome. Afterwards we were dropped off at the Grand Bazaar for shopping. It was a great tour and we're glad we did it.

On our second visit to Istanbul, we were DIY.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Istanbul last summer and used a tour guide

Mehmet Tetik who was excellent. He got us into all the sites w/o standing in lines and help negotiate prices at the bazaar. Highly recommended if you want your own guide.

We are going there in Sept, the day we are there Tuesday the Topkapi is closed to the public. Is it worth seeing? I can see it with the cruise tour (St. Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi & Harem) for $129 dollars. We are adventureous to DYI, but wondering if it is worth it to go see Topkapi as we will probably ever be in Istanbul once.

We are going there in Sept, the day we are there Tuesday the Topkapi is closed to the public. Is it worth seeing? I can see it with the cruise tour (St. Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi & Harem) for $129 dollars. We are adventureous to DYI, but wondering if it is worth it to go see Topkapi as we will probably ever be in Istanbul once.

I was in Istanbul for the first time just two weeks ago and yes Topkapi is well worth it. But it will be more meaningful if you understand what it represents in terms of history. Do a little reading before your visit and then it will all make more sense.

If you have time in Istanbul add Dolmabahçe Palace to your itinerary; you can reach it easily (Tram to Kabalas - the last stop- and then just follow the water in away from where you came for less than a ten minutes walk); most everything in the city is easily reached by public transport.

We used a guide for the first day of our visit. I prefer having a guide than having to stop every second to pull out the Fordor's travel book. http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/guides/ozdeniz_y.html but you can also do Istanbul on your own if you do your homework prior.

I agree Topkapi is worth seeing once. It certainly isn't my favorite site in Istanbul.....but the tour you quote also includes the Harem, which would be an essential part of the Topkapi tour. (Without it, the experience isn't much of a wow, IMO, except for the jewels.)

If you really think you are unlikely to get back, I suppose the tour isn't a bad option in your case. Will they end up in Sultanahmet and allow you some time on your own after the tour? That might enable you to at least see something else such as the spice market or the Basilica Cistern or Grand Bazaar.

Given the short amount of time you have in port, and the large number of possible sites to see, I think that a guide will be your best option, with the second-best option being an excursion. The guide will get you more to see or better quality tourist time than an excursion, I believe.

I was in Istanbul a couple of years ago and uploaded a lot of photos from the trip - one I'll remember fondly for a long time. You can view the photos when you click this link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/billmastersonchicago

• 5 months later...

We just returned last evening from a cruise that included Istanbul and Kusadci/Ephesis. We used ephesusshuttle.com and we were very pleased with their services. They were easy to communicate with via email, timely picking us up, nice vehicles, great staff.

Istanbul can be done on your own but using a company like Ephesus shuttle allowed us to cur lines and see much more in a day and 1/2.

Berri, our guide in Istanbul was super. She was wonderful with children (7 & 9), and yet managed 4 adults as well. She adapted to our wishes easily. Her sense of timing for entering the various attractions was excellent. She was gracious in sharing her thoughts on the Turkish culture so comfortably. We all loved Turkey.

I would suggest asking for more guidance in the Grand Bazaar. I had been there before, so we went off on our own. However, for a first timer her I would ask that the guide stay with you there for a least part of your visit.

Our excursion in Ephesus was exceptional. Emre from Ephesus Shuttle was so professional, informed, and fun. He was a pleasure to be with and made our visit a huge hit. His referral to a restaurant for lunch was also super and we also sent friends there!

I will recommend this company highly and as you can see used them for 3 days total! We miss Turkey.

We just returned last evening from a cruise that included Istanbul and Kusadci/Ephesis. We used ephesusshuttle.com and we were very pleased with their services. They were easy to communicate with via email, timely picking us up, nice vehicles, great staff.

Istanbul can be done on your own but using a company like Ephesus shuttle allowed us to cur lines and see much more in a day and 1/2.

Berri, our guide in Istanbul was super. She was wonderful with children (7 & 9), and yet managed 4 adults as well. She adapted to our wishes easily. Her sense of timing for entering the various attractions was excellent. She was gracious in sharing her thoughts on the Turkish culture so comfortably. We all loved Turkey.

I would suggest asking for more guidance in the Grand Bazaar. I had been there before, so we went off on our own. However, for a first timer her I would ask that the guide stay with you there for a least part of your visit.

Our excursion in Ephesus was exceptional. Emre from Ephesus Shuttle was so professional, informed, and fun. He was a pleasure to be with and made our visit a huge hit. His referral to a restaurant for lunch was also super and we also sent friends there!

I will recommend this company highly and as you can see used them for 3 days total! We miss Turkey.

Emre was our guide also....but we used Ekol tours for our day there in 2009.

Most guides are independant. They are booked as needed.....and can work for one company one day and another the next.

For this very reason, it is wise to shop around, read reviews and decide which one works best for you......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
We were in Istanbul last summer and used a tour guide

Mehmet Tetik who was excellent. He got us into all the sites w/o standing in lines and help negotiate prices at the bazaar. Highly recommended if you want your own guide.

Has anyone else used Mehmet Tetik? Thank you.

Sounds like traffic time is offset by cutting entrance lines. Plus, the time is productive if you have a good guide who can give some local perspective. We will be in Istanbul at the end of Sept. for 4 nights including one overnight on the Silver Spirit. We are planning to use a pvt. guide the first day and will solicit recommendations to do on our own from him or her for the other days. We will see all the major sites with the guide except the Grand Bazaar and Spice Market which we'd rather skim through on our own. We are also planning to do a culinary tour on our second day there and once again soliciting restaurant recommendations. We are really looking forward to this trip!

Istanbul is the best DTY port ever. The key sites have audio guides for modest costs. The audio guides are better than a tour guide.

Save your money and DTY.

Thanks so much. Anything in particular that is a "Do Not Miss!"

Edited by Bsan1221

Thanks so much. Anything in particular that is a "Do Not Miss!"

There is a lot to see, but my #1 was Hagia Sophia. Unfortunately, I never found out where Emperor Justinian's tomb had been.

Topkapi's Harem was #2

The Chlora Church, some miles from old city was #3

The Archeological Museum was wonderful.

Of course, the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Spice and Grand Bazaars were good.

Loved the food there.

Enjoyed going through the Bosporus on our way to the Black Sea.

There is a lot to see, but my #1 was Hagia Sophia. Unfortunately, I never found out where Emperor Justinian's tomb had been.

Topkapi's Harem was #2

The Chlora Church, some miles from old city was #3

The Archeological Museum was wonderful.

Of course, the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Spice and Grand Bazaars were good.

Loved the food there.

Enjoyed going through the Bosporus on our way to the Black Sea.

Thanks so much!

This coming Tuesday evening our PBS station will air a program on Hagia Sophia ( last week it was a wonderful program on Petra). Check your local listings. Last time we visited Hagia Sophia there was so much scaffolding it was hard to see the interior. I am hoping when we return in September it has been removed. And yes, the Cistern is fascinating -- feels like the underworld lair of the Phantom of the Opera. I understand that they often have concerts down there -- must be very interesting acoustics.