Which is calmer? - Gulf of Mexico or eastern side of Caribbean?

Cruise-e-Q

We are considering traveling in Feb or March on Princcess in the Caribbean. Trying to decide on a western itinerary that goes more into the gulf of Mexico or eastern that is more in the Caribbean/ Atlantic. The deciding factor is which will have the calmer water, not the itinerary stops. Any suggestions? Thanks!

We are considering traveling in Feb or March on Princcess in the Caribbean. Trying to decide on a western itinerary that goes more into the gulf of Mexico or eastern that is more in the Caribbean/ Atlantic. The deciding factor is which will have the calmer water, not the itinerary stops. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Would you consider a Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan? If so that would be your best choice for calm seas in Feb or March.

I wouldn't think there would be much between the two. It's not the hurricane season and not so many tropical disturbances as the norther hemisphere winter is the quiet time in the Caribbean on the whole. If you are concerned about movement on a cruise liner, there will be next to none, unless you are really unlucky. We did a two week eastern Caribbean cruise February a couple of years back and I don't recal the ship (Ventura) move at all :-)

Keith (Southend, UK)

A difference isn't discernable between the two with the same good conditions present. Sea swells or other rough weather is the only factor that will play into that. It really is a matter of what experience you want as the two are very different in that regard.

We've been on several western, eastern, and southern Carib cruises and the rougher water has always been in the more open waters of the southern as we made our way south to the ABC islands. That's the only time we've experienced heavier movement on the ships in normal, calm weather.

So for a first cruise you may want to choose between the western and eastern. Do take a larger ship nd not one of the smaller ships that run the 3-day Bahamas route as they are much less stable in open water.

Edited by blue_water

I don't mean to dismiss the southern itinerary out of San Juan as that is our favorite. Just be aware that when going to Central America or Aruba you may have a bit more movement. But unless you are prone to seasickness it's more a novelty than a problem, and being able to experience the beauty of Belize, Curaçao, and Roatan makes it worth flying to San Juan. We also enjoy spending 3 - 4 nights in PR after the cruise.

I don't mean to dismiss the southern itinerary out of San Juan as that is our favorite. Just be aware that when going to Central America or Aruba you may have a bit more movement. But unless you are prone to seasickness it's more a novelty than a problem, and being able to experience the beauty of Belize, Curaçao, and Roatan makes it worth flying to San Juan. We also enjoy spending 3 - 4 nights in PR after the cruise.

I was suggesting a 7 nighter from San Juan that would do some of the Saint islands and go as far as Barbados. With so many islands so close to each other the seas should be just fine in Jan/Feb. you also wouldn't get more than 1 sea day in a row so that might be a comforting thought for the OP.

I was suggesting a 7 nighter from San Juan that would do some of the Saint islands and go as far as Barbados. With so many islands so close to each other the seas should be just fine in Jan/Feb. you also wouldn't get more than 1 sea day in a row so that might be a comforting thought for the OP.

That southern is a great cruise, although it can be quite a busy one. We took 2 with no sea days and would not recommend that for a first cruise, of course.. But with the request for calmer water I would agree with LuLu on an eastern out of FL. Sounds like this is a first cruise.

But none are I'll-advised. As you get further south you can experience rougher evenings but it really depends so much on the prevailing weather.

• 4 weeks later...

In response to OPs question the Gulf will likely be calmer this time of year, BUT either can be smooth as glass or rough as can be. I find that the Atlantic norht of PR and the VI is always rough this time of year.