Having Second Thoughts on Hotel Choice

mlfallis

OK I am having second thoughts on our hotel choice before our next cruise.

There are 11 ships in port that day so I booked out hotel along time ago, now am wondering if I am over thinking or should move while we still can.

We are traveling with 3 young children (6,3, and 1), and there are 4 adults (3 in 30s and one in 60s).

I booked us in Marriott's SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port. Booked for only one night, plan on useing the airport shuttle, but have a private vehicle booked to get us to the boat.

In looking around I am worried about where we will go to have dinner, and what we can really do besides sit at the hotel if the weather is too crappy for swimming.

Oh yeah and the entire trip is for me to plan so no one else in our party really cares, but I will feel horrible if we are sitting in a room staring at each other eating McDs.

Thoughts? Comments?

SpringHill Suites is located just off Stirling Road across from Oakwood Plaza Mall which has a K-Mart that sells a good selection of popular wines.

On Stirling Road is Burger King, Chipotle, McDonald's and Taco Bell. On into the mall you will find Moonlite Diner, Wendy's, Hollywood Ale House, Dave and Buster's, TGI Friday's, Sal's Italian Ristorante, Sweet Tomatoes and Red Lobster.

If the weather is too crappy to be at the pool then what other hotels would have activities that would not be affected by the crappy weather as well?

SpringHill Suites is located just off Stirling Road across from Oakwood Plaza Mall which has a K-Mart that sells a good selection of popular wines.

On Stirling Road is Burger King, Chipotle, McDonald's and Taco Bell. On into the mall you will find Moonlite Diner, Wendy's, Hollywood Ale House, Dave and Buster's, TGI Friday's, Sal's Italian Ristorante, Sweet Tomatoes and Red Lobster.

If the weather is too crappy to be at the pool then what other hotels would have activities that would not be affected by the crappy weather as well?

Thanks for your response. K-Mart for wines I never would have guessed. Yes we couldn't swim in crappy weather at other hotels, but would it be closer to indoor malls or other things we could do?

We stayed there last Nov, great choice! The shuttle that they use to pick you up at the Airport, will also take you to 8-10 different resturant's in the area and come back for you too. About a half mile down the road is one of the best seafood resturants we have eaten at, the www.rusticinn.com We walked back since it was a very nice evening. They use the same shuttle to take you to the port for $10 pp, we used it also, very nice. The 'free' breakfast is OK, nothing special, self serve, but there will be a crowd since most all in the hotel are doing the samr thing you are!:D

ps: a great list of resturants are found here; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481885

We stayed there last Nov, great choice! The shuttle that they use to pick you up at the Airport, will also take you to 8-10 different resturant's in the area and come back for you too. About a half mile down the road is one of the best seafood resturants we have eaten at, the www.rusticinn.com We walked back since it was a very nice evening. They use the same shuttle to take you to the port for $10 pp, we used it also, very nice. The 'free' breakfast is OK, nothing special, self serve, but there will be a crowd since most all in the hotel are doing the samr thing you are!:D

ps: a great list of resturants are found here; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481885

Actually, it's over 2 miles from Rustic Inn to the SpringHill Suites. Good restaurant, but it's a lot farther than a half a mile.

Upon further review...I think you're confusing Homewood Suites with SpringHill Suites. Homewood Suites is about a half mile from the Rustic Inn, but SpringHill Suites is over 2 miles away and on the east side of Interstate 95.

Upon further review...I think you're confusing Homewood Suites with SpringHill Suites. Homewood Suites is about a half mile from the Rustic Inn, but SpringHill Suites is over 2 miles away and on the east side of Interstate 95.

Upon further recall it was the Fairfield, http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllad-fairfield-inn-and-suites-fort-lauderdale-airport-and-cruise-port/ we stayed at. Thanks for shaking the memory:) It is only 0.3 tenth's of a mile, knew the walk back was not to far.

You should look at Gallery One Doubletree. It is the closest hotel in the area to an indoor mall...Galleria Mall is a half block away. They have suites so you can get a lot of people in one room. They have a pool and are walking distance to the beach and it has a water taxi stop, but no shuttles. Sometimes you can get a great rate on hiltonfamilymvp by signing in with your hhonors acct (free to get one). Hyatt Place Plantation is also adjacent to an indoor mall, about a block or 2 walk to Broward Mall.

If you're going to consider changing hotels try pricing with Last Minute Travel Club (they have been offering free membership and once you sign up you can see exactly which hotel..not like Priceline/Hotwire)...I got a much better rate with them than Hilton MVP/Honors.

If you're going to consider changing hotels try pricing with Last Minute Travel Club (they have been offering free membership and once you sign up you can see exactly which hotel..not like Priceline/Hotwire)...I got a much better rate with them than Hilton MVP/Honors.

I read your comments & thought I would take advantage of the free membership but they seem to be now charging a joining fee ...could be that we are from the U.K ....shame as it sounds like a good way to book a hotel:mad:

Thanks everyone.

So I guess now I need to look at switching.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Stay where you are and stop fretting.

The Fairfield Inn/Homewood Suites on Griffin Road Wallie is talking about may be .3 of a mile from Rustic Inn, but that's it. It's very isolated with nothing around it. The Gallery One Doubtree is next door to an upscale mall, but my guess is you're going to pay a lot more there than what you're booked for at SpringHill. Besides, they don't have an airport shuttle and they are farther away from the port so you will have to pay more for transportation and worry about whether you can get seven people and all your luggage in one taxi.

Stayed at the Marriott a few years ago and will be staying there again in November. We really liked the location! In the plaza across the street in addition to K-Mart there is a Marshalls (my husband forgot baseball cap and sunglasses). We belong to BJ's Wholesale Club (I believe you can get a one day pass) we bought our wine and scotch there. Don't forget to bring a bag or two -- they don't have any just boxes. If you go through the plaza and come out on the other end near Home Depot stay left and follow the road. You will come to another set of stores and restaurants. We ate at Sals a few times and it was always excellent. We also took the bus one day and did some sightseeing. I just love having everything close by to do last minute shopping.

Archived