Post Cruise Excursion in Seward

rnlmigacz

My Mom and I are looking at a post cruise excursion in Seward. I usually book my own excursions, but the ship is offering two boat tours that also include transportation to the airport. One boat tours Resurrection Bay, the other Prince William Sound. Has anyone taken either of these excursions? I'm torn between which trip to take, or if I should just look for something on our own. We would have to get transportation to Anchorage either way.

I am interested also in a comparison! The Resurrection Bay tour is one of several Kenai Fjord cruises, Resurrection Bay being the shortest at about 4 hours, with calmer waters than the longer cruises that visit glaciers on the Gulf. There are a couple Prince William Sound cruises, guaranteed calm sailing! There's one about the same length (a bit longer) as the Resurrection Bay cruise. So, for the amount of time, which has better views? Which offers more wildlife sightings?

I've taken the Resurrection Bay tour twice; not by choice. I was scheduled for the 6hr tour out to Ailak Glacier but the weather was quite grim so the office told us that the capt would decide if we would continue once he was out on the water for awhile. After 20 minutes he decided the water was too rough and it became a Bay tour instead.

I found it very disappointing. But I'm from the PNW so rocky forested coastline wasn't anything new to me. We saw a few bald eagles, an eagles nest, otters, sealions, lots of birds. Again, stuff you see at nearly any port along the BC and Alaska coast. The only new sightings were a few mountain goats up on a cliff and puffins.

I highly recommend the longer tour. It was awesome ! You do the Bay tour so you see all those sights but we also saw whales which I always enjoy. But the best part was sitting in front of the glacier listening to it creak and groan, then calve. Very cool.

Even tho it was a nice day, there was still a rough section as we entered the Gulf of Alaska .... I was starting to turn green but then it over. So take precautions if you are prone to motion sickness.

OK, I'm a multiple - over 30 Kenai Fjords boat tours, and the bay tours, have to be comped for me to take them. Simpy a poor choice, with a wildlife priority like I have. Also, no glacier sailing- sorry the very distant "look" at Bear Glacier can hardly count. Sorry, nothing I ever recommend.

As for Prince William Sound, I've also done all of those tours- multiple times as well, and my favorite is Surprise Glacier. But, they all are excellent to enjoy, in my opinion.

With the OP- What is your ACTUAL, timing and when are you leaving Anc?? If you car to disclose this, then it can be recommended you go on your own, but if you are leaving that night- then you have a LOT fewer options.

To the second poster- Prince William Sound is NOT for a wildlife priority and the bay tours are poor choices compared to Kenai Fjords. WHAT is YOUR priority and are you ONLY going to choose between the 2 you list, or are you going to be open to the superior Kenai Fjords routes? Clear choice if only going with the 2 you list, being, Prince William Sound- but do not expect a lot of wildlife.

Thank you mapleleaves and Budget Queen for your helpful replies. I looked into it some more and found a company that will have a shuttle from the pier to their office, will hold luggage and we can book through them to get on the evening bus to Anchorage. We are booked on a 7.5 hour tour of Kenai Fjords National Park!

OK, I'm a multiple - over 30 Kenai Fjords boat tours, and the bay tours, have to be comped for me to take them. Simpy a poor choice, with a wildlife priority like I have. Also, no glacier sailing- sorry the very distant "look" at Bear Glacier can hardly count. Sorry, nothing I ever recommend.

As for Prince William Sound, I've also done all of those tours- multiple times as well, and my favorite is Surprise Glacier. But, they all are excellent to enjoy, in my opinion.

With the OP- What is your ACTUAL, timing and when are you leaving Anc?? If you car to disclose this, then it can be recommended you go on your own, but if you are leaving that night- then you have a LOT fewer options.

To the second poster- Prince William Sound is NOT for a wildlife priority and the bay tours are poor choices compared to Kenai Fjords. WHAT is YOUR priority and are you ONLY going to choose between the 2 you list, or are you going to be open to the superior Kenai Fjords routes? Clear choice if only going with the 2 you list, being, Prince William Sound- but do not expect a lot of wildlife.

Thanks for your input. I'm leaning toward the PWS over the Kenai Fjord cruises for several reasons but mainly time constraints & concerns about getting seasick. Will be in Denali for wildlife so wanted to see glaciers with a "shorter" cruise trip time. I think it's going to be a matter of selecting one of the 2 cruises in PWS for us. Thought I could get some insight.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be in Seward the end of the month. Trying to decide what to do and if we should overnight. as I turn green easily wondering which would be best? Love wildlife and views. Noticed whale trips end mid may, so not sure if they have moved on by the end of the month?

Suggestions? TIA

We will be in Seward the end of the month. Trying to decide what to do and if we should overnight. as I turn green easily wondering which would be best? Love wildlife and views. Noticed whale trips end mid may, so not sure if they have moved on by the end of the month?

Suggestions? TIA

Yes the grays have "moved on", but there are 2 resident orca pods and humpbacks feed in the area.

It is essential you have precautions in place for motion sickness. Consult your healthcare professional.