NCL 1st timer questions about the Epic

Scubadoobie2

Hi, NCL cruisers. My wife and I are sailing on NCL for the 1st time, on the Epic in October. (Been on Princess, Carnival & RCI before). I have some questions that I hope you will answer for me. So you know, we are booked in a balcony, NOT in the Haven.

Q1: Is the top deck of the Haven area (the top-most front of the top deck) accessible to non-Haven cruisers? Or, is that area reserved for those booked in the Haven only?

Q2: Is there at least ONE food/drink venue open on the ship 24 hours? I wake up EARLY, like around 4 am daily and hope to have access to a good cup of coffee and maybe a bagel or sweet roll. (I hear NCP does provide a coffee maker in the cabin but I prefer not to use it while wife is still asleep).

Q3: Is there anything you want to tell a 1st time NCL cruiser, especially about the Epic? Like, definite MUST-DOs, what to avoid, etc? FYI, we are ages 59 & 63 but in good health. We're not ballroom dancer types but we do like to dance and have a cocktail or 2 (or 3?) when out for the evening. Thank you for your input. Happy cruising!

Q1: Yes there is. I believe it is Deck 18. It is the only area you can get in without an access card. They have regular lounge chairs along the port and starboard sides but if you keep going forward there is an area with much nicer loungers available to all. Very quiet since most don't go there (at least that was my experience).

Q2: O'Sheehans is open 24 hours. I was also able to get coffee by the pool area between the pool and the buffet. I'm not sure what the hours are there but I was there pretty early each day with starbucks mug in hand.

Q3: If you can, pre-book any reservations early. I also downloaded the iconcierge app. Great for booking tenders/events but horrible for reviewing your schedule for the day. I kept forgetting things because it wasn't on the app. Avoid the elevators at all costs when you embark. If you can, use the stairs. When you disembark use the porters at the port. They grabbed our luggage and took us past every line (which were long) straight to our bus for the air port. That was the best $10 or $20 I ever spent and well worth every penny.

Have fun, Can't wait for our next one.

Hi, NCL cruisers. My wife and I are sailing on NCL for the 1st time, on the Epic in October. (Been on Princess, Carnival & RCI before). I have some questions that I hope you will answer for me. So you know, we are booked in a balcony, NOT in the Haven.

Q1: Is the top deck of the Haven area (the top-most front of the top deck) accessible to non-Haven cruisers? Or, is that area reserved for those booked in the Haven only?

Q2: Is there at least ONE food/drink venue open on the ship 24 hours? I wake up EARLY, like around 4 am daily and hope to have access to a good cup of coffee and maybe a bagel or sweet roll. (I hear NCP does provide a coffee maker in the cabin but I prefer not to use it while wife is still asleep).

Q3: Is there anything you want to tell a 1st time NCL cruiser, especially about the Epic? Like, definite MUST-DOs, what to avoid, etc? FYI, we are ages 59 & 63 but in good health. We're not ballroom dancer types but we do like to dance and have a cocktail or 2 (or 3?) when out for the evening. Thank you for your input. Happy cruising!

Hi, you will porbably find some helpful information by reading through the following thread (please note that some of the info is outdated, as it was started years ago, but I found many helpful tips!)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2388683

The forward parts of Deck 18 are public sundecks. The forward most section is closed during high winds, but the rest is open to all passengers. The Haven's Posh Club is slightly aft from that on Deck 18 and 19.

At 4 am, you can go to O'Shehans for a coffee or meal. There are usually midnight movies in the atrium (which would be over by 4 am), but there is usually something up on the screen.

Enjoy the Epic. We have sailed on her 6 times in the past. She looks great after her extensive dry dock in September 2015. Lots of bars with live music at night. There is usually a themed party in Spice H20 nightly which is fun to go and watch (or dance). The Cavern Club is a great (but crowded) place for quick evening entertainment.

Have a great cruise!