Toulon on a Sunday, Monte Carlo on a Holiday?

knippsel

This October we're on the Oosterdam, scheduled to be in Toulon on the 30th, a Sunday, 8AM to 6PM. Two days later, Nov 1 (All Saints Day) we're in Monte Carlo all day. We're rather at a loss to figure what will be open in either place. Or maybe there are Sunday/Holiday things which are not to be missed?

We're not shoppers (but love a good European market), but love history, architecture and local ambience. We've traveled alot in Europe but this is my first time in the south of France. So we had thought sightsee in town, then to go out of town a bit to see smaller places and countryside. We often DIY, and are not fond on ship excursions, but given that public transportation may be very limited might that be our best option? Suggestions and advice would be very welcome.

Thanks. Kathy

A couple of years ago we were in Toulon on a Sunday. Took an excursion to Aix. Some of the stores were closed, but you say you are not shoppers. There was a farmer's market and a book market and all of the architecture was there.

Hi Kathy,

Here is a thread from a few days ago that reminded me of your inquiry...another DIY'er and so I thought I'd link it here for you as it might contain some ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2357048

Did a quick google search for events happening on November 1 - what better way to get local - and found this website that I like a lot for Monaco...very inclusive and recommended by popular international media sites (Monaco is trés international!) and so here is the link:

https://www.seemonaco.com/

This website has an events calendar which includes links to both Monaco's daily markets - both will be open on All Saints Day AND....you'll be there on the day of the Fun Fair....food, rides, amusements etc.

In the above thread, another member mentioned attending Mass (the beautiful Cathedral where Grace Kelly married Prince Ranier) to hear a boys choir sing - might be an inspired event attending Mass on All Saints Day, stroll around the area afterward en route to one of (or more) the gardens or Oceanographic Museum (amazing) or wherever you wish to be next.

You'll find plenty of things to do, and it's quite easy to do on your own. I do hope you'll enjoy it. I've not yet been to Toulon, apologies but indeed the Riviera is lovely, has its own distinctly charm and wonder and I'm glad you'll get to experience two different samples (or more?) especially since Monaco is separate and apart from other of the French or Italian villages - some love it, some don't - but I think one gives it a better chance arriving without comparing it to another village or having pre-conceived expectations.

Enjoy your cruise and port visits! :)

From Toulon, you might want to consider a tour to Les Baux and Avignon (if that is an option)..both of which are decent places on a Sunday. As has been posted, Aix is also OK on Sundays...although many shops/boutiques will be closed.

Hank

This October we're on the Oosterdam, scheduled to be in Toulon on the 30th, a Sunday, 8AM to 6PM. Two days later, Nov 1 (All Saints Day) we're in Monte Carlo all day. We're rather at a loss to figure what will be open in either place. Or maybe there are Sunday/Holiday things which are not to be missed?

We're not shoppers (but love a good European market), but love history, architecture and local ambience. We've traveled alot in Europe but this is my first time in the south of France. So we had thought sightsee in town, then to go out of town a bit to see smaller places and countryside. We often DIY, and are not fond on ship excursions, but given that public transportation may be very limited might that be our best option? Suggestions and advice would be very welcome.

Thanks. Kathy

Toulon doesn't have much to visit and on Sundays most of the shops are closed in France. So I would recommend an excursion to visit the contryside like Sanary (there's a market on sunday morning) and Cassis (there's a boat tour to the Calanque).

Edited by Brown_Sugar
Mistakes