Any Questions?

Cruachan

Cunard's online FAQs say this about outlets, voltages, and frequency:

What type of plug sockets and voltage are used on board?

Both UK 3 pin and US 2 pin sockets are used on board. You will find a three pin socket next to a two pin socket.

The ship's electrical supply is 220v / 110v / 60Hz.

The standard electrical supply in the United Kingdom is 50Hz (cycles) and 240V.

Hi Cruachan. I have just booked this cruise today so I am frantically preparing. I hope to see you onboard after reading all your posts. Is there a meet and greet?

Diane

There was a roll call but it seemed to die on 6 May and, as far as I am aware, no meet and greet was organised.

J

I've been on QV a number of times and I see quite a few of the same staff. They welcome me with big smiles. They are really pleased to see past passengers returning.

After a few cruises it's like coming home. Only crew is nicer towards me than DW;)

Have you been on QV before and if so, do you see staff that you have met before ?

Yes, this will be our 10th cruise in total and our 5th on QV. We are becoming a little typecast and one of the reasons we keep going back to her time after time is precisely because we know so many of the staff. Some have "been with us" since our very first cruise on QE2 and we now regard them as old friends.

J

Cunard's online FAQs say this about outlets, voltages, and frequency:

What type of plug sockets and voltage are used on board?

Both UK 3 pin and US 2 pin sockets are used on board. You will find a three pin socket next to a two pin socket.

The ship's electrical supply is 220v / 110v / 60Hz.

The standard electrical supply in the United Kingdom is 50Hz (cycles) and 240V.

QV (never been on QE) has a Continental outlet as well (and the US outlets are 3-pin).

attachment.php?attachmentid=316726&stc=1&d=1403308585

(not my photo...)

qv_outlets.jpg.2cfb475d077bdc1dfa70b4b75197a6a9.jpg

Edited by Underwatr

Hi Cruachan. I have just booked this cruise today so I am frantically preparing. I hope to see you onboard after reading all your posts. Is there a meet and greet?

Diane

Now that's the way to book. No pesky long term planning. :D

Hello.

I'm just about ready to book my cabins on the Cunard web site, I'm booking two cabins next door to each other,I've noticed cabins 4178/4180 on the deck plan has a large white space between them and the balconies look to be double the size,is there any chance you could ask someone if it's possible to open the divider between them thus creating one big balcony,many thanks and enjoy your cruise..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very true, Brigittetom, but it does mean a lot of work on these two days. Packing is fine; it's doing all the odds and ends that I've meant to do for the last month like small repairs on some of my dresses. :D

With a very limited budget, this is the only way I manage as many cruises as I do - though I've never had to wait quite so last-minute before.

I've had my eye on this cruise for a while, so I've been steadily researching all the ports. I figured that if I didn't go on this one, I'd go another year and so it wouldn't be wasted.

It's unfortunate that my cousins come from Australia to stay with me two days before I get back - but I've told them where the spare key is! If only they were drinkers, I could take the Pol Acker back for them as an apology!! ;)

Apologies for posting this so late.

Assuming you get to check the site again I'd be interested to know the cost of using the Royal Spa on board, in particular the thermal suites / heated loungers etc.

Many thanks.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Very true, Brigittetom, but it does mean a lot of work on these two days. Packing is fine; it's doing all the odds and ends that I've meant to do for the last month like small repairs on some of my dresses. :D

With a very limited budget, this is the only way I manage as many cruises as I do - though I've never had to wait quite so last-minute before.

I've had my eye on this cruise for a while, so I've been steadily researching all the ports. I figured that if I didn't go on this one, I'd go another year and so it wouldn't be wasted.

It's unfortunate that my cousins come from Australia to stay with me two days before I get back - but I've told them where the spare key is! If only they were drinkers, I could take the Pol Acker back for them as an apology!! ;)

I know what you mean....for me it's not so much the packing as it is getting the house ready for the pet sitter.

Have a wonderful trip and I hope you get stunning dance hosts. :)

Cunard cannot cope with this. I booked once on a Thursday morning for a QG Saturday Trip to embark at S'oton including flight to LHR and transfer. The Cunard staff at LHR did not provide transfer as I was "not on the list. Go away!". He didn't bother to make call to crosscheck. He was very british indeed.

Car transfer was easily refunded by Cunard weeks later.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi J,

Thanks for the offer. Together with friends we have booked Staterooms 1111 and 1113 for a Cruise in January, two outside cabins on Deck 1. Any information re the location, size of the cabins, noise from above etc etc. would be helpful - also not too sure from deck plan what is next to 1113 at the end of the corridor. From reviews it appears that these grades on Deck 1 are slightly bigger than same grades on higher decks.

Any little information will help, but thanks anyway and have a great time onboard.

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave, here's what I was able to find out. Sorry for the late reply but the ship's wifi connection was just too flaky for use with CC (even when it was working at all!).

J

I wasn’t able to gain access to the cabins themselves – however, I did visit the area and observed the following.

The cabins are at the aft end of the short stretch of corridor on the starboard side leading aft from the Purser’s Desk. Unusually for an accommodation corridor, there are cabins on the starboard side of the corridor only. The other side appears to be the boundary wall for a machinery space (possibly the engine room). Aft of 1113 is some sort of crew space. Immediately above these cabins is the Two Deck entrance to the Britannia Dining Room and it is very unlikely that noise from above will be an issue. However, I noticed quite a lot of low frequency machinery noise and some vibration in the corridor itself. I would guess, though, that the sound insulation of the cabins will deaden that pretty effectively. The location is pretty isolated and is unlikely to be used as a general thoroughfare so I really don’t think you will be troubled by noise issues. Almost right outside the door of 1113 are the lifts and the stairway that lead up to the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant so that is pretty convenient and you are also very handily paced for the Purser’s Desk and other facilities such as the Internet Center that are in that general area.

Hope this helps

Hi J,

Don't suppose you take a look at the spa services and see if they do nail extensions and infills please? I had these services on board before but I can't seem to find them on the spa menu. Sometimes there have been additional services on board, like waxing, that haven't been listed so it's worth a shot!

Thank you and hope you have a wonderful time!

The lady in the Spa assured me that extensions and infills are both available in the Spa. Current prices are as follows:

Extensions = $87

Infills = $46

2 Questions 1 can you see if the jewellery shop has any decent Silver bracelets ( the bangle type} not to chunky as my wife is thinking of getting one

When I visited they had a range of about five different styles, four of which were similar and probably “marginal chunky”. The fifth, to my aesthetically challenged eyes, looked quite slim and elegant. The price was in the range $150-200 depending on the item selected. I chatted to the girl in the shop and she said that the real message was that the range of designs in stock was constantly changing and that, by the time you board, they could have a totally different range – but there is always likely to be something available that meets your specification.

Coffee card is available at Café Carinthia and at any bar on the ship. Currently costs $33.50 for 10 coffees.

Hello.

I'm just about ready to book my cabins on the Cunard web site, I'm booking two cabins next door to each other,I've noticed cabins 4178/4180 on the deck plan has a large white space between them and the balconies look to be double the size,is there any chance you could ask someone if it's possible to open the divider between them thus creating one big balcony,many thanks and enjoy your cruise..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Again, I was unable to gain access to the cabins in question, but I did go and have a look at that stretch of corridor. I’m not a bit surprised that the deck plans show “a large white space” because the layout on that stretch of corridor is very odd indeed (and, unusually for QV the two sides are not symmetrical - only the port side has this layout).

Cabin #4178 is the further forward of the two – adjacent to it on the left (aft) as you look at the door of the cabin is another door which, from the various signs affixed to it, obviously contains an ice machine. To the left of that again there is actually a short “spur” corridor at the end of which is another door marked “Crew only” – what is behind that door remains a mystery to me. So, if the balconies do in fact adjoin one another that would explain why they are twice as long as average. The photo below shows the two balconies (outlined in red) and it's clear that each is exactly twice the length of a standard balcony).

The crew members who periodically clean the balconies all have keys for opening the dividers. I spoke to my cabin steward who assured me that there would be no problem at all about opening the divider to extend the length of the balcony. My starting point, as with almost everything, would be your cabin steward. You are much more likely to get a positive result from him/her than from anyone else on the ship.

J

_DSC6682_qv_balconies_zps92ec19ec.jpg

Hi we're onboard in September. I am wondering if the new Quercus toiletries are in use yet? Have a great cruise.

S

Yes they are - although I can't speak for their efficacy as my next scheduled bath isn't until November.

In the shower you get one round tablet of something that my wife assures me is called "soap" and three little plastic bottles of gunky gloopy stuff Going by what is printed on the bottles, the contents consist of:

a. "Shampoo" (whatever that is)

b. "Conditioner" (ditto)

c. "Body lotion" (purpose unknown).

J

2 Questions 1 can you see if the jewellery shop has any decent Silver bracelets ( the bangle type} not to chunky as my wife is thinking of getting one

When I visited they had a range of about five different styles, four of which were similar and probably “marginal chunky”. The fifth, to my aesthetically challenged eyes, looked quite slim and elegant. The price was in the range $150-200 depending on the item selected. I chatted to the girl in the shop and she said that the real message was that the range of designs in stock was constantly changing and that, by the time you board, they could have a totally different range – but there is always likely to be something available that meets your specification.

Coffee card is available at Café Carinthia and at any bar on the ship. Currently costs $33.50 for 10 coffees.

Thank you my wife will be pleased to know that they do have the kind of Bracelet that she likes & where to get her coffee card.

The deck plan for QE shows the same white space between the two rooms, but it suggests that on QE the two rooms have normal size balconies with some space between them that's not part of either balcony. I wonder whether that's accurate.

The deck plan for QE shows the same white space between the two rooms, but it suggests that on QE the two rooms have normal size balconies with some space between them that's not part of either balcony. I wonder whether that's accurate.

Well, if you look at the image (taken by me on 28 Jun as QV was berthed in Akureyri, Iceland) included in post #45 you can clearly see that it manifestly isn't accurate.

J

I wasn't suggesting Victoria wasn't as you showed it; I was observing that Elizabeth was shown differently. I couldn't find any photos clearly showing QE from that angle but the ones I did find appeared to show a blocked-off space between those two cabins on Queen Elizabeth. My point is just that no one should conclude the sister ships are necessarily alike in this regard.