Travel insurance refusal declaration

Had a email from TA regarding a final payment due soon and was asked to sign a declaration stating we had declined travel insurance they offered, have never this happen before and this is the second time we have used this TA , any one had this before by the way we do have travel insurance just not through the TA

Had a email from TA regarding a final payment due soon and was asked to sign a declaration stating we had declined travel insurance they offered, have never this happen before and this is the second time we have used this TA , any one had this before by the way we do have travel insurance just not through the TA

I suppose it's like the little tick box when you book flights "do you want insurance" yes/no.

Perhaps it is to stop any issues should someone perhaps have an incident - no insurance - then try to blame the supplier by saying they were never offered it - or "assumed" they were covered.

I wouldn't worry about it.....just use your normal Insurance.

It is probably a more official way of saying "do/don't you want insurance?"

I have signed one of these maybe twice before when using a TA (for general OS travel).

If its the same sort of thing it covers the Travel Agent when something happens and you don't have their insurance, eg they are not obligated to help you with insurance related matters.

Surprisingly some people will say they weren't offered insurance and try and put the onus back on the TA to help them when something goes wrong.

Some non insured people have an accident and blame the TA for not offering them insurance.

The TA may have been burned before or if its part of a larger company someone at a corporate level has decided it has to be completed.

I wouldn't let it put me of using that TA again in anyway if you are happy with everything else as I don't think its that out of the ordinary.

It's just to cover them, that they offered you travel insurance. I have had this every time with my TA. It's no big deal so long as you know you are covered elsewhere. We always just use our credit card insurance with no problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I believe that for P&O UK when you book a cruise you are offered Travel Insurance . If you decline you need to supply the company and policy number before they will accept your booking.

I can see the day coming where you will denied boarding if you do not have insurance.

All for an agency covering themselves with signed disclaimers if you decline their travel insurance product, as long as they HAVE actually discussed it with with you........ ;)

David we booked P&O UK, declined their insurance and they never even asked if we had any .....:eek:;):D

All for an agency covering themselves with signed disclaimers if you decline their travel insurance product, as long as they HAVE actually discussed it with with you........ ;)

David we booked P&O UK, declined their insurance and they never even asked if we had any .....:eek:;):D

..It maybe for UK citizens only. I was just going on what a UK passenger told me one time , and from reading the booking form on a UK brochure.

..It maybe for UK citizens only.

Probably right with that David:D

You never know perhaps we will see travel insurance compulsory to book any type of travel.........got to say you just don't travel without it do you:confused: ..... with the dumping of the travel compensation fund I now only look to buying a policy that includes " travel agency insolvency" cover... if you can find one...... better to be safe than sorry...;)

Edited by badgerbill
add

Probably right with that David

You never know perhaps we will see travel insurance compulsory to book any type of travel.........got to say you just don't travel without it do you ..... with the dumping of the travel compensation fund I now only look to buying a policy that includes " travel agency insolvency" cover... if you can find one...... better to be safe than sorry...

I should read properly before posting:(:p brain and fingers didn't quite get together... what I meant was " I now only look to buying my travel from an agency with "travel agent insolvency" cover....if you can find one.... senior moment....hehehehe.....:o;):p:D

I would not sign any document like that. This is not a dictatorship and they cannot force you to sign it. You need to think of your own rights here.

A travel agent has no right to ask for such a document.

What next will they get you to sign? declarations stating you declined hotel bookings, flight bookings, transfers, shore excursions and all other things they offer.

No way do not sign it and tell the agent where to shove it. You do not want any document in existence with your signature on it stating you declined insurance. If the travel agent refuses to budge then fire them and find another agent to take over the booking.

I am not saying that you should not purchase insurance, but everyone searches for the best deals for their own insurance and the travel agent is not always the best choice. Signing such a document for them could leave you in a spot of bother.

By signing such a document it could end up in anyone's hands being misinterpreted that you declined travel insurance altogether.

I would not sign any document like that. This is not a dictatorship and they cannot force you to sign it. You need to think of your own rights here.

A travel agent has no right to ask for such a document.

What next will they get you to sign? declarations stating you declined hotel bookings, flight bookings, transfers, shore excursions and all other things they offer.

No way do not sign it and tell the agent where to shove it. You do not want any document in existence with your signature on it stating you declined insurance. If the travel agent refuses to budge then fire them and find another agent to take over the booking.

I am not saying that you should not purchase insurance, but everyone searches for the best deals for their own insurance and the travel agent is not always the best choice. Signing such a document for them could leave you in a spot of bother.

By signing such a document it could end up in anyone's hands being misinterpreted that you declined travel insurance altogether.

Goodness me...:eek:

If I were a TA , I would not accept a booking from you with that sort of attitude .

Goodness me...:eek:

If I were a TA , I would not accept a booking from you with that sort of attitude .

What about the rights of the customer. Why would anyone want a document in existence declaring that they refused to purchase travel insurance.

How about the customer demand that the travel agent sign a stat declaration acknowledging that the customer has purchased insurance elsewhere.

Curiosity got the better of me so i rang the TA today they told me it is just so there is no comeback on them if something went wrong

As for signing a declaration I said no but they were happy to have me send them an email stating that I had been offered insurance and declined , fair enough

I think something must have happened to be covering themselves like this

but that's fine

Curiosity got the better of me so i rang the TA today they told me it is just so there is no comeback on them if something went wrong

As for signing a declaration I said no but they were happy to have me send them an email stating that I had been offered insurance and declined , fair enough

I think something must have happened to be covering themselves like this

but that's fine

I think it is very standard lately to have confirmation on what was offered and what was declined so that any litigation can be thwarted up front.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I am not sure if Holland America still offer it, but for many years they offered Cancellation Insurance that you could purchase when you booked a cruise. It was to encourage people to book early and if purchased HAL would refund all monies paid for whatever reason...whatsoever.

On the booking form you had to tick the box to say you declined this insurance. It was a very expensive policy and not many took it up.

I think it is very standard lately to have confirmation on what was offered and what was declined so that any litigation can be thwarted up front.:D

And of course - in the Product declaration will be ......... "and XXXXX company receives a commission"...which is normal - so when you decline the policy from the TA - they don't get their commission. Look on the bright side - as long as they don't bring OH&S on cruises :eek::eek::eek: You'd have to do a JSA/JHA along with your health declaration :p

What about the rights of the customer. Why would anyone want a document in existence declaring that they refused to purchase travel insurance.

How about the customer demand that the travel agent sign a stat declaration acknowledging that the customer has purchased insurance elsewhere.

Fair points. In general, there's a lot of protecting and controls favouring the business, and the contracts they write are skewed their way.