Hours of bar on Viking River Cruise

Norvig

I can't recall a time there wasn't someone behind the bar, even at breakfast time; but I've not seen anyoe buying drinks at breakfast.

But for clarification, do you mean Champagne in particular or any sparkling wine?

And are you wanting to buy by the bottle or glass?

Viking's house fizz is a medium German Sekt which they sell by the glass.

I don't think they sell Champagne by the glass: Their sample bar menu shows two Champagnes plus their house Sektklers, with only the house fizz available by the glass. And quite frankly at those prices for the Sekt you'd be better off stocking up on fizz at the first supermarket you come to and keeping them the fridge in your room.

I recall bottles of something 'wine' sitting on one of the breakfast buffet tables and folks making mimosas DIY ...... some took a bottle to their table ..... my impression was this was included with the 'beer and wine and soft drinks with meals' but I'm not a morning drinker so didn't pay much attention.

I don't recall ever seeing the main bar unattended .....

I too vaguely recall bottles of the house fizz on the waiter's table at breakfast, but I'm not sure as I'm not interested in wine for breakfast, also I don't know if they were for those with a drinks package

We've never had a problem getting a mimosa at breakfast on any of our four Viking cruises, just order one from the waiter. I believe this is part of the included drinks with meals. Other than that, there is usually someone at the bar by 10 am or so based on what we've seen. The only problem we ever had was on our first cruise...my DH wanted a Bloody Mary with his breakfast, and our waiter had to wake up the bar manager to open the bar. My DH got his drink and we laughed about it the rest of the cruise (along with the Viking bar manager who had a good sense of humor).

Thank you for the replies. We only enjoy mimosas on vacation & any sparkling wine would be fine. If not available at bkft no big deal. We are still undecided on the beverage package so just gathering info. If mimosas are included this could be another factor. We have been to Vienna a few times so may spend some time on the sun deck weather permitting before going to the opera. We may order wine off the menu on occasion. When on vacation we do enjoy relaxing with a cocktail before & maybe one after dinner before retiring early! Right now water levels on the Danube are a bigger concern but no control on the weather.

We are just back from a Viking River Cruise and you can indeed have a Mimosa with your breakfast! They are very accommodating ... one gentleman really enjoyed a specific coffee drink he was able to get from the coffee machine outside the lounge so every morning the waiter would run upstairs and get one for him!

I enjoy my cocktails but DW is not much of a drinker altho she enjoyed the included wine with dinner. In the end our bar bill was a fraction of what the package would have run us .....

Hint, if you like the wine they are pouring with dinner, b4 leaving the dining room get a refill! Since we tend to find folks to talk with we linger in the dining room and noticed at the end of the night there are half bottles all over ..... they DUMP THIS!!!! So they have NO problem filling your glass as you leave and you can carry it to your room, on deck or to the lounge .... actually the first nite they came over and offered this to us.

Another option for afternoon or "happy hour" wine or beer is to purchase it while on shore and keep the bottle in your room refrigerator. The bartender gave us wine glasses to take to our room (or the deck or the lounge) and, depending on what you buy, this may be less expensive than adding up a bar bill. Also, that way you can buy a bottle that you particularly like. Yes, there is sparkling wine available at breakfast for mimosas.