Fresh fish suggestions (not shell fish)?

pris993

Planning a 14 day cruise out of New York to Quebec City and back next year.

We have port stops in Bar Harbor, St John, Halifax, Sydney, Boston and Newport.

Would love some suggestions on which ports and places along the way we might enjoy some fresh fish.

Not looking for any fancy, something simple, like fish and chips but good quality vs tourist traps.

How far from the port are you willing to go?

There are a few options in walking distance in Boston, including Yankee Lobster and No Name Restaurant, and others that would require subway and/or taxi (Legal Seafood, Atlantic Fish, etc, for instance).

Edited by Nitemare

How far from the port are you willing to go?

There are a few options in walking distance in Boston, including Yankee Lobster and No Name Restaurant, and others that would require subway and/or taxi (Legal Seafood, Atlantic Fish, etc, for instance).

Thanks... have these on my list to check out, did some reading on line.

Did read that Boston does not really have much of a local fishery, so was looking for suggestions from folks who have been there.

Our first time on the east coast,

Did read that Boston does not really have much of a local fishery,

Depends on what you call local. Yes, the port of Boston has become more industrialized rather than a home for smaller private boats with a crew of two, three or four, and the federal government regulations puts increasing curbs on the whole industry, but there is a fishing fleet, for just one example, just 40 minutes away in Gloucester, .... or nearby to the south in New Bedford, up in Maine an hour or so away, and lots of lobster men everywhere along the coastline, so "local" fresh fish and seafood is not in short supply in Boston. Nor are excellent restaurant chefs to prepare it.

Hi,

I have stopped 3 times in Halifax and Sydney while cruising but have never tried the local fish. If you post on the Canada forum (specifying in the title the names of the 3 Canadian ports you will be visiting) I am sure you will get suggestions.

Edited by Jolie_Cruiser

There is a Legal Sea Foods within a ten minute walk of the cruise dock. "Legal Harborside" It's not the cheapest place in town but the freshness, quality control ,preperation and harbor views is unsurpassed. My wife worked for them for 5 years and I can attest to all the above. IMHO, stay away from the "No Name", I have good reasons for saying that but don't really want to post them here.