DIY Juneau

shoppinggem

We will be in Juneau on June 9th on the Norwegian Sun and would like some advice regarding our plans. We are a party of 5, I originally planned on renting a car and doing a self tour - Mendenhall, St. Therese, & Eagle Beach. My dilemma is that we will only be in port from 7am-1pm and I'm not sure if we should get a car given our time constraints. We should be docking at the AJ dock & I think I read the Juneau Car Rental Co is closest to this dock, they open at 8am. Is it feasible to rent a car and see what I have planned, return the car & be back on the ship by noon? Should we just take the shuttle to Mendenhall and skip the car & the other stops?

Juneau Car Rental is near the AJ Dock. If you get there before 8am you will be on the road by 8.15am. Figure 30 minutes to Mendenhall, 1 hour there. So by now it is 9.45am. Figure another 30 minutes to St. Therese and 30 minutes walking around. So now it is 10.45am. Eagle Beach is a bit further north from St. Therese (5-6 miles). It might be a bit close for comfort to get here, but you drive as far as you feel comfortable then turn back. Figure 45-60 minutes from Eagle Beach back to the AJ Dock.

If it were me, I would rent the car. Even if you only went to Mendenhall I would rent the car - for five people it probably won't be any more expensive than the shuttle to Mendenhall.

Thanks for the responses! The drive time is helpful, wasn't sure how long it would take to make it out to Eagle Beach and back. I'm thinking traffic will not be a factor along this route, correct?

I prefer doing our own thing, the cost isn't as much a factor as having the flexibility and being able to go at our own pace is. Really wish we had more time in this port :(,(and less time in Icy Strait Point, not finding a ton of interesting things there) oh well, there is always next time :D.

It's a different issue with me, as I know my way around Juneau having been there multiple times. :) So could be a different suggestion for a first timer. With your plan, you won't have any time for delays, you also will need to gas up your car? But are you sure, the entire group wants this same plan? I find it unlikely with adults. :) So, I'd also suggest splitting up depending on interests.

IF you can be ready to go and off right after the ship clears. In case there is a chance of them opening up a little early, that would be my suggestion. Even though it is located at the AJ "dock", it is still a little walk to their office, up an incline. IF you are coming back to pick someone up, have them wait on the right side- back to ship, after getting up the ship dock.

Thanks everyone for the links, maps, & suggestions! It sounds like it is doable & many others on NCL have done a similar trip renting the car. I'm hoping the car will give us the ability to see more (not waiting on a bus or shuttle), but we can always cut it short and head back if time is an issue. Just wanted to make sure it was reasonable.

I'm not positive that everyone will be on the same page, its DH, myself, DD, DS (early 20's) and MIL. The trip is for my MIL who has always wanted to go to Alaska, she if pretty mobile for 80, but we will be taking that in to consideration. We'll be discussing each port & activities over spring break, we're not opposed to splitting up if interests vary. I know we will split in Ketchikan for some activities. MIL doesn't seem to have much input which is a little frustrating, I'm going to give her some stuff to look over maybe something will pique her interest. ~ Thanks again.

Edited by shoppinggem

Yes, we probably all are (except MIL). The kids like hiking, kayaking, ziplining & DS is very into biking (circled the entire US on his bicycle ). I'm looking into more active tours in other ports where we have more time; is there something in Juneau that can only be done there that I may be missing? Any tours you can recommend in other ports (we will be in Icy Strait, Skagway & Ketchikan)?

Edited by shoppinggem

Re tours: That's a big question and totally depends on what you enjoy doing. I know that there are combo train-cycle tours in Skagway and kayaking in several places.

Each port has it's own website that provides extensive info. Tripadvisor is your friend with land tours. I use the ship's excursions as a guide as to what is possible then look at other independent options.

Edited by Alaskanb

Thanks everyone for the links, maps, & suggestions! It sounds like it is doable & many others on NCL have done a similar trip renting the car. I'm hoping the car will give us the ability to see more (not waiting on a bus or shuttle), but we can always cut it short and head back if time is an issue. Just wanted to make sure it was reasonable.

I'm not positive that everyone will be on the same page, its DH, myself, DD, DS (early 20's) and MIL. The trip is for my MIL who has always wanted to go to Alaska, she if pretty mobile for 80, but we will be taking that in to consideration. We'll be discussing each port & activities over spring break, we're not opposed to splitting up if interests vary. I know we will split in Ketchikan for some activities. MIL doesn't seem to have much input which is a little frustrating, I'm going to give her some stuff to look over maybe something will pique her interest. ~ Thanks again.

Your MIL sounds a little like my Mom. I have found that asking her very specific questions and giving her a couple of choices helps. It can be frustrating sometimes. Maybe try to wheedle out of her one or two must do activities for her and make sure to plan those.

Yes, we probably all are (except MIL). The kids like hiking, kayaking, ziplining & DS is very into biking (circled the entire US on his bicycle ). I'm looking into more active tours in other ports where we have more time; is there something in Juneau that can only be done there that I may be missing? Any tours you can recommend in other ports (we will be in Icy Strait, Skagway & Ketchikan)?

Do you know that Icy Strait has the tallest zipline?

Another option for Juneau if you get good weather is to go up the Tramway...we went on the Norwegian Sun on the northbound itinerary. We took the tram up and at the top my son (just barely 9 at the time) and I looked at the totem poll carver, the eagles and watched a show on Alaskan culture, and did a short hike, while my husband did a long hike. He thought the hike from the top of the tramway was "one of the best he ever did", but he is partial to glacier carved U-shape valley. We had a longer time in Juneau so we were able to do both this and the bus to Mendenhall.

In Skagway we did the train up and my husband did the sockeye cycles cycle down and my son and I took the bus. I was very impressed with Frontier tours who coordinated with the Sockeye so that we could go in the same car with my husband on the way up (required for us because he was a minor and needed to be traveling with two parents). We also had time for some hiking and the historic sites.

In Ketchikan we had a lovely kayaking trip with southeast kayaks (Orcas Cove trip), but I don't think your MIL could do that.

I was very impressed with Frontier tours who coordinated with the Sockeye so that we could go in the same car with my husband on the way up (required for us because he was a minor and needed to be traveling with two parents). We also had time for some hiking and the historic sites.

I understand that you wanted to travel together, and it's nice that you were able to arrange it, but it's absolutely not required. You would have just needed a letter from his father if you traveled into Canada without him.

I've taken my kids on a 2 cruises in the last several years, and I just got a notarized letter from their father (divorced) allowing it. I'm looking forward to my next cruise with the kids in 2017, since they will all finally be over 18 and I won't have to hassle with it any more.

Fran, yes I did see the zipline in ISP. Have you done it? From what I read it looks like it is a one trip zip, is that right? I'm thinking we'd probably enjoy doing a more canopied trip with several zips & maybe a ropes type course. I have ziplining as a potential excursion from Ketchikan (checking into Skagway as well).

Jane- thanks for the recommendations on the tours. I have Sockeye Cycles on my list as well for DH & DS (this may be a good option for them in Skagway). I'll check out SE Kayaks as well! I think DH will fish in Ketchikan, but this might be good for me & the kids :).

In Skagway, Sockeye has decent rentals for those that want to go out on their own. I'm a road cyclist, but there's supposedly also good mountain biking around there. I brought my own shoes/cleats but used their pedals (I checked in advance to see if they had the matching pedal available for rentals so I wouldn't have to pull my own off my bike).

If they are serious cyclists and considering climbing to the White Pass summit, don't forget the passport. I went up with another guy who realized he left his on the ship, so he turned around at the US border checkpoint. I went over the summit and down the other side for awhile, but turned around when the road changed from relatively smooth to very unpleasantly bumpy. Really great ride though.

what time does the ship leave the port? I thought they all stay until in the evening

We're on NCL Sun, we're in Juneau from 7:00-1:15. We leave Juneau and cruise Tracy Arm. I do believe that most cruises stay in port much longer.

hfj - great to hear that you like the ride! DS does both road & MTB, DH is more of MTB'er but may do the road as well. I'll let them figure that out!

Another option for Juneau if you get good weather is to go up the Tramway...we went on the Norwegian Sun on the northbound itinerary. We took the tram up and at the top my son (just barely 9 at the time) and I looked at the totem poll carver, the eagles and watched a show on Alaskan culture, and did a short hike, while my husband did a long hike. He thought the hike from the top of the tramway was "one of the best he ever did", but he is partial to glacier carved U-shape valley.

Glad you posted this information. I enjoy day hiking and hope to hit a lot of trails for our AK trip. I want to take the Tram up (not hike up, as I think it would take too long) and do the trail up there, the longer one. I'll let my wife decide if she wants to do the shorter version or stay with me for the longer trek.