Acapulco

justtznu

Anyone heard or been through Acapulco recently? Just read that the U.S. Embassy in Mexico is warning travelers to stay away due to an increase in violence and crimes.

"ACAPULCO, Mexico, Nov. 22 (UPI) -- U.S. citizens are being urged to avoid non-essential travel to the popular destination of Acapulco because of ongoing protests and violence linked to the disappearance of 43 students in the state of Guerrero.

The U.S. Embassy in Mexico has issued a message saying that all of its personnel have been told to defer non-essential travel by air and land to Acapulco and that road travel in all parts of Guerrero state is prohibited."

Yikes! We had a shore excursion planned, but will cancel that. I guess I'll be surprised if our ship actually does stop there. It will be a spa day for me and the hubby!

It's been several years since we've had a port stop in Acapulco BUT when we did the ship cancelled all of the shore excursions offered by the ship.

Just saying ... you will sort of be able to tell by what the ship is doing with their shore excursions to know if it's safe to do things or not.

Whatever, enjoy your cruise with or without the Acapulco port stop! :)

LuLu

We had a cruise stop in ACA in 2009 and loved it there.

There was a peaceful rally held that day but we had no issues with docking and spending a lovely day with a private tour guide.

The ship will not dock if there is a threat to danger to their clients.

We did stop in at a Fairmont resort and both Mr.QT and I remarked it would have been nice to have a day pass there. Amazing resort and beach.

I was just on the ACA Trip Advisor forum and it appears that all is quiet.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g150787-i177-Acapulco_Pacific_Coast.html

Acapulco is home to millions of nice locals that live long violence free lives (and it seems you see everyone of them as you approach the pier, in this extremely busy and beautiful bay front city)

Cruise ships port and leave early. The few bad guys mostly sleep in and enjoy the cool of the night (Acapulco is always EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID)

If it were us, we would charter a VW Bug taxi for $10-$15 per hour and visit our favorite spots

Indeed after the awful disappearance of 43 students the state of Guerrero (where Acapulco is situated) is amidst protest of all kinds against the local goverment.

Nothing has happened with tourists but because of all the uproar most likely the USA goverment doesnot want you to go there.