What is a good reasonably priced hotel in Melbourne (less than $150US) in downtown

4774Papa

And if you want to know about places worth visiting those from NSW will chip in;):eek:

We are planning to take a tour to Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island (two day tour), also see a Yarra Valley wine tour as well as a city tour (perhaps the one with the tramcar). What do you know about the Puffing Billy Steam Train?

We are planning to take a tour to Great Ocean Road and Phillip Island (two day tour), also see a Yarra Valley wine tour as well as a city tour (perhaps the one with the tramcar). What do you know about the Puffing Billy Steam Train?

Well I love the Great Ocean road, but in my opinion it needs a few days to do properly.

Puffing Billy is a nice little trip that isn't as physically taxing.

Looking at what you've got planned if you've only got the four days available I'd probably do..

Great ocean

Puffing Billy

City tour

Yarra

In that order

I love Puffing Billy and it is a great way to see some of the Dandenong Ranges. It is possible to do both Puffing Billy and the Yarra Valley in one tour if you do one such as these - http://daytourmelbourne.com.au/project/1-day-puffing-billy-yarra-valley-wine-tour/?gclid=CLbG_JmJo9MCFYWXvQodHdACqw

https://www.viator.com/tours/Melbourne/Yarra-Valley-Wineries-and-Puffing-Billy-Steam-Train-Day-Tour-from-Melbourne/d384-2230M35

https://www.aatkings.com/tours/melbourne/puffing-billy-steam-train-and-wine-country-in-style/

A city tour is easy - a self guided walking tour such as these - https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/visitors/WalksItineraries/Walks/Pages/Walks.aspx

Or using the free trams around the CBD. Depending on your interests - there are tours of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the National Sports Museum, I think a must do for any sports fan. The National Gallery of Victoria is fabulous as is the Melbourne Museum, the Melbourne Zoo, Victoria Market and the botanical gardens. Melbourne has a cafe culture centred in its many laneways and arcades which are worth a look.

Leigh

Hope it's OK for me to pitch in my Melbourne hotel question here. I expect to be in Melbourne 2nd week of April 2018.

As a solo 60-something female, I would like to be in a safe area were it is OK to walk from a tour dropoff point back to hotel after dark (say 9:30pm-ish). I realize some tours will dropoff right at some hotels but not all. Are there any particular areas that I should avoid?

I'm willing to pay about $200/night and would like to be close to restaurants/coffee shops for a quick morning breakfast and evening meal, or to be in a hotel that has onsite restaurant, but I'm not paying $25 and up for hotel breakfast....continental/quick service breakfast will suit me fine ;)...or a room with kitchenette - kettle, toaster, microwave, mini-fridge....maybe I'm hoping for something too perfect? :o

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think you'll miss Easter (pretty sure it's early 2018) but be in School holidays, so you may struggle to get something that meets those criteria.

One thought google IBIS, I know there's one In Little Bourke Street, not sure of any other locations.

Hope it's OK for me to pitch in my Melbourne hotel question here. I expect to be in Melbourne 2nd week of April 2018.

As a solo 60-something female, I would like to be in a safe area were it is OK to walk from a tour dropoff point back to hotel after dark (say 9:30pm-ish). I realize some tours will dropoff right at some hotels but not all. Are there any particular areas that I should avoid?

I'm willing to pay about $200/night and would like to be close to restaurants/coffee shops for a quick morning breakfast and evening meal, or to be in a hotel that has onsite restaurant, but I'm not paying $25 and up for hotel breakfast....continental/quick service breakfast will suit me fine ;)...or a room with kitchenette - kettle, toaster, microwave, mini-fridge....maybe I'm hoping for something too perfect? :o

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Look at the Punthill (pronounced Punt Hill) Apartments in the CBD, I think they are in four locations. Almost any where in the city area there will be cafes to have breakfast and other meals. Most areas are fairly safe but I would avoid the King St area. If you have looked at tours, check which hotels they drop off at and where else they may drop off. I think some will drop off in the vicinity of Federation Square (corner of Flinders Street and St Kilda Road which becomes Swanston Street) which has some great cafes and restaurants. Perhaps check for accommodation around there. One of the Punthill Apaprtment complexes is not too far from there. It is also close to many cafes in the nearby lanes and arcades.

I wouldn't wait too long to book, as it will be school holidays here,

Leigh

Thanks for the advice. I have done a bit of Trip Advisor research and google mapping :) . I looked at Ibis Victoria and Punthill on Flinders Lane, just not sure about these and have come up with the following after upping my budget a bit:

-Clarion Gateway Suites - Flinders and William - is this too close to King?:(

-Adina at Queen and Little Bourke

-Novotel on Collins - no kitchenette here, and tour pickup is at Westin, but I keep getting drawn back to this one but I don't know why :o

-Travelodge Southbank - this is in my budget and has tour pickup but seems to be not so many restaurants/coffee shops close by, unless I missed them on streetview?

Any comments on the above?

Thanks

I like the Adina.

Also have a look at Medina on little Bourke, very nice if you can get a deal. Our room had a sitting area and Kitchenette, but I don't recall what we paid, and Mrs Gut isn't here to tell me.

Travelodges are basic but not bad.

I like the Adina.

Also have a look at Medina on little Bourke, very nice if you can get a deal. Our room had a sitting area and Kitchenette, but I don't recall what we paid, and Mrs Gut isn't here to tell me.

Travelodges are basic but not bad.

Thank you. I checked TFE Hotel group web site, no Medina listed for Melbourne. Adina chain belongs to TFE as well. I wonder if the Adina at Queen and Little Bourke was previously a Medina? They are currently undergoing renovations, would be nice if it is complete before next April.

Thanks for the advice. I have done a bit of Trip Advisor research and google mapping :) . I looked at Ibis Victoria and Punthill on Flinders Lane, just not sure about these and have come up with the following after upping my budget a bit:

-Clarion Gateway Suites - Flinders and William - is this too close to King?:(

-Adina at Queen and Little Bourke

-Novotel on Collins - no kitchenette here, and tour pickup is at Westin, but I keep getting drawn back to this one but I don't know why :o

-Travelodge Southbank - this is in my budget and has tour pickup but seems to be not so many restaurants/coffee shops close by, unless I missed them on streetview?

Any comments on the above?

Thanks

The Novotel is in a great position and just a short walk from the Westin. Very close to public transport as well. Major tram lines pass right past it and just a few minutes walk to Flinders Street Railway Station. The Travelodge Southbank is only a short walk from many cafes and restaurants on Southbank.

I don't think I would feel safe walking around the area of Williams and Flinders Streets in the evening by myself. It is only a block from the Kings Street nightclub precinct which is the most seedy area of Melbourne CBD.

Good luck!

Leigh

Thank you. I checked TFE Hotel group web site, no Medina listed for Melbourne. Adina chain belongs to TFE as well. I wonder if the Adina at Queen and Little Bourke was previously a Medina? They are currently undergoing renovations, would be nice if it is complete before next April.

Probably because I think it was the Mantra.

Probably because I think it was the Mantra.

Lol .... I will not book Mantra as I don't like their Cancellation policy, if I understand the small print correctly, even on a refundable booking they still charge the full amount and give credit to be used within 12 months